Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Isone Pro - the best thing you could ever get for your headphones on your computer
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Isone Pro - the best thing you could ever get for your headphones on your computer - Page 36

post #526 of 846

Does the demo version lower the quality compared to the paid for version?  Because it definitely sounds compressed.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt head 777 View Post

I think saying isone lowers the quality to like low quality youtube videos is over the top. When I first tried isone it gave me the wow factor and comparing it again later it still has the quality.

 

Anyway l've been trying other plugins and players and one I just come across that works with the plugins I like is qmp media player "Quintessential Media Player". I tried winamp but it was too buggy.. Two plugins worth trying out if you want to get spacious out of head experience is "Sheppi free spatial enhancer" I'm trying it with "headplug". The other worth checking out is Wavesurround with setting "stereo to headphones". Cool eq I'm using is "Electi-Q".
 

 

 

post #527 of 846

Erm, according to the site the only difference between the trial and the full version is that it doesn't remember the settings.

 

Default settings don't sound great to me but after changing two settings (flat preset + nearfield distance) it sounds great to me and not compressed at all. 


Edited by kalston - 4/26/12 at 12:45pm
post #528 of 846

I tooled around with it for hours.  I really wanted it to work.  I tried every preset and fooled around with the settings for a very long time.  No matter what I did, to some degree, bass (especially percussion) was muddy and sounds like cymbals had compression artifacts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalston View Post

Erm, according to the site the only difference between the trial and the full version is that it doesn't remember the settings.

 

Default settings don't sound great to me but after changing two settings (flat preset + nearfield distance) it sounds great to me and not compressed at all. 

 

 

post #529 of 846
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWIFOSP View Post

It's not just reverberation.  It completely mangles the sound.  Bass sounds muddy, percussion sounds wrong, cymbals have have compressed tinny sounds.  The rest of your post you try and explain why these are acceptable trade offs to get the image right.  And I disagree 100%.

 

In my chain I currnetly have a Lavry DA11 and a SPL Phonitor.  Both the Phonitor and DA11 are capable of moving the image to center, and the Phonitor has adjustable crossfeed.  Neither of these activities attempt to simulate room acoustics and add echo and reverb, so it's not quite the same as Isone. That said, the effect of correcting the image is much much better than Isone.  It doesn't distort the sound in any audible ways.  I can get my headphones to sound like they are in front of me as monitors, rather than headphones.  The effect is much more convincing than the isone because it doesn't mangle the sound so much that it now sounds like I'm listening to youtube on low quality. 

 

You go on to attempt to tell everyone that if they don't like it, that we are using it for the wrong reasons.  That is evangelist talk.  You shouldn't dismiss people's opinions just because they aren't in line with yours.  My goals are the exact same as yours.  To reduce brain fatigue by having the sound coming out of my headphones sound natural.  My goal with audio reproduction is to attempt to get my system to sound as close to all of the live events I've been to as possible.  Imaging is a big part of that.

 

For the cost, Isone is a great product and I really hope that they continue to improve their processing so the sound will have a bit more fidelity after the plugins are done.  For now, however, a correct image is simply not worth the reduction in sound quality.

 

 

 

 

 

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't hear this compressed mess you're talking about, and I've been using Isone since the pre-ToneBooster brand versions, and have listened to countless music of all types with it in both critical and leisurely scenarios, including using it during music production to track, mix, and master.

 

Jeroen is an expert audio engineer who has forgotten more about DSP processing than most have learned. If there was indeed this compressed mess you're talking about, don't you think an expert like him would have noticed it? Check his biography--the guy's written books on DSP processing, worked for Phlips Research as an DSP expert, worked on the MPEG standard, and so on: http://www.jeroenbreebaart.com/home_bio.htm

 

He's also a very nice guy, open-minded, friendly, and down-to-earth. I suggest you contact him and tell him about your opinion on his product and see what says. I've contact him numerous times in the past and gave him my feedback and suggestions, and he's been very receptive, as well as very patient. 

post #530 of 846

Since I've been using it for a few days and have only positive things to say about it, I just bought it. Thanks for this thread Lunatique, I am really amazed at how well this works with my current headphones (I remember that I disliked it with my older headphones for some reason). I also happen to like the surround version of Isone (much more than Dolby Headphones) so since that's free and I've been using it for some time, I'm happy to give this guy my money. 

post #531 of 846

I'm not the only one who notices the compression sound, this thread has multiple people describing the same issue.  

 

If it is a setting or something that I have wrong that can be fixed, I'll happily retract anything I've said about it.  

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatique View Post

 

 

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't hear this compressed mess you're talking about, and I've been using Isone since the pre-ToneBooster brand versions, and have listened to countless music of all types with it in both critical and leisurely scenarios, including using it during music production to track, mix, and master.

 

Jeroen is an expert audio engineer who has forgotten more about DSP processing than most have learned. If there was indeed this compressed mess you're talking about, don't you think an expert like him would have noticed it? Check his biography--the guy's written books on DSP processing, worked for Phlips Research as an DSP expert, worked on the MPEG standard, and so on: http://www.jeroenbreebaart.com/home_bio.htm

 

He's also a very nice guy, open-minded, friendly, and down-to-earth. I suggest you contact him and tell him about your opinion on his product and see what says. I've contact him numerous times in the past and gave him my feedback and suggestions, and he's been very receptive, as well as very patient. 

 

 

post #532 of 846

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWIFOSP View Post

I'm not the only one who notices the compression sound, this thread has multiple people describing the same issue.  

 

If it is a setting or something that I have wrong that can be fixed, I'll happily retract anything I've said about it.  

 

 

 

 

 


Simple, but are you certain you've adjusted the Speaker Volume to just below clipping?

 

I can't say that I've noticed any compression (and I'll note that I'm extremely sensitive to digital compression artifacts, and have taken the blind tests to determine at what level I can discern compression from the original); what I do notice that ultimately led me to largely stop using it was a sacrifice in the lack of detail for the gain in speaker effect.  On some recordings it's worth it, on most others, well, that's why I listen to headphones.  And no, I don't think that a good set of speakers in a proper room would suffer from this same loss of detail.  However that would require a dedicated listening room and loud volumes, neither of which I care for. 

post #533 of 846

Yes.  And I'm using Jriver media center, which allows you to monitor the clipping level or set it to protect at 100%. 

 

I'm thinking I should put together a test clip of just various cymbals to demonstrate what I'm talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhenya View Post

 

 


Simple, but are you certain you've adjusted the Speaker Volume to just below clipping?

 

I can't say that I've noticed any compression (and I'll note that I'm extremely sensitive to digital compression artifacts, and have taken the blind tests to determine at what level I can discern compression from the original); what I do notice that ultimately led me to largely stop using it was a sacrifice in the lack of detail for the gain in speaker effect.  On some recordings it's worth it, on most others, well, that's why I listen to headphones.  And no, I don't think that a good set of speakers in a proper room would suffer from this same loss of detail.  However that would require a dedicated listening room and loud volumes, neither of which I care for. 

 

 

post #534 of 846

have you tried wavesurround? it gets the sound out of your head and uses hrtf. Also Sheppi tho I'm not sure its design is specifically for headphones it takes the sound out of your head and gives you a presentation bit like isone but perhaps without the losses. Both plugins work with QMP media player. J river doesn't work with wavesurround for me.
 


Edited by Matt head 777 - 4/27/12 at 9:10am
post #535 of 846

I have not.  I've stopped messing around with software because I found a solution for correct imaging.  It is a combination of analog crossfeed from my amp, and digital processing from my dac.   I can adjust this on the fly for either of my headphones since they have drastically different sound stages.  (HD800 and LCD2).  It allows me to place the music in front of my head, and more importantly, puts the image sounding like it comes from one source instead of two.  With the LCD2 in particular, you can get that V shaped image coming from in front of you.  Especially on classic rock recordings where you have the bass guitar left of center and vocals off on one channel.  Using that cominbation I can put the image back in front without any impact to the tonality.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt head 777 View Post

have you tried wavesurround? it gets the sound out of your head and uses hrtf. Also Sheppi tho I'm not sure its design is specifically for headphones it takes the sound out of your head and gives you a presentation bit like isone but perhaps without the losses. Both plugins work with QMP media player. J river doesn't work with wavesurround for me.
 

 

 

post #536 of 846

After using wavesurround I'm not as keen on it compared to sheppi and headplug. Anyone understand the settings with headplug?

 

Edit: not happy with QMP with sheppi and headplug, not sure what problem is but seems to be some distortion.


Edited by Matt head 777 - 5/3/12 at 12:57am
post #537 of 846

Hi all,

 

Tried the link to Isone Pro, and it only leads me to Isone, not Isone pro.  In fact I can't see any "isone pro" on the site at all.  Has the dev renamed it and removed the "pro" extension from the name?

post #538 of 846
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidz View Post

Hi all,

 

Tried the link to Isone Pro, and it only leads me to Isone, not Isone pro.  In fact I can't see any "isone pro" on the site at all.  Has the dev renamed it and removed the "pro" extension from the name?

Yes, the name's been changed. 

post #539 of 846

Is it only the name that have changed?

 

Cheers!

post #540 of 846
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovleylady View Post

Is it only the name that have changed?

 

Cheers!

 

No, he updated the plugin with more features and the entire GUI's changed too. There are images of Isone Pro on the web--just google for it. He also updated the DSP algorithm as well. I prefer Isone Pro myself--both the GUI and that it's a bit more user-friendly, and although it has fewer features, does everything I need already. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Isone Pro - the best thing you could ever get for your headphones on your computer