Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › Is it easier to discern 320k mp3 & FLAC/other lossless on old songs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is it easier to discern 320k mp3 & FLAC/other lossless on old songs

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Old, I mean not recorded old. Old as in age, such as all kinds of classical, and rock from the 60's or 70's.
Just saw this somewhere, someone says "for [old rock album from 1970], the difference between FLAC and 320kbps mp3 is easily discernable", although this person did not say where the mp3 came from and what equipment he has.
Asking. Curious.
post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3602 View Post
Old, I mean not recorded old. Old as in age, such as all kinds of classical, and rock from the 60's or 70's.
Just saw this somewhere, someone says "for [old rock album from 1970], the difference between FLAC and 320kbps mp3 is easily discernable", although this person did not say where the mp3 came from and what equipment he has.
Asking. Curious.
If some tracks can be distinguished more than others it is due to how the encoder handles it and some tracks cause more problems for encoders but as far as I know there is no established link to a genre, a decade, or anything else...as far as I know

Did they mention a blind test ?
post #3 of 12
I'd say it's easier on complex music. For example, mp3 at 320KB CBR Stereo Q0 VS FLAC for Amon Amarth albums, the mp3 sounds like crap to me.

I have noticed that for some music I can tell the different but others it's harder. I think if the music is electric/digital (little to no natural instruments) than it's harder for me to tell the difference.
post #4 of 12
I say it is more about the music complexity than its age.
You will certainly find samples in old music, like rock from the 60-70s, but for sure also among todays music.
post #5 of 12
For me its easier to tell with metal etc, which have very 'busy' sequences. But it also really shows if the recording was good or not, when you expect to be able to pick out 2 or 3 guitars playing at once, but its a muddled mess.
post #6 of 12
Music mastered in the 60s/70s and even 80s had much more dynamic range than modern music. I still doubt the diff between flac and 320kbps mp3 is "easily" discernable though.
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0dhi View Post
I still doubt the diff between flac and 320kbps mp3 is "easily" discernable though.
tell that to Patrick82 Seen his youtube vid lol? like 70% of the time he can tell the diff bwteen MP3, FLAC, AAC, PCM etc. But personally, I cannot tell a diff between 320kbps and FLAC with the music I listen to. I would love to get into well recorded jazz but I am so used to metal, anything but that and stuff like hardcore, trance etc is wayyy too slow for me
post #8 of 12
I think it depends on how high the original encoding was and if the song was encoded before hand. If you don't have great initial recording in the first place, it's not going to sound as good.
post #9 of 12
If you are talking about Rock, maybe its because a lot of music now has "screaming" and death sounds which drown everything else out, like actual instruments and vocals?
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsegan View Post
If you are talking about Rock, maybe its because a lot of music now has "screaming" and death sounds which drown everything else out, like actual instruments and vocals?
lol, this seriously made me laugh.
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0dhi View Post
Music mastered in the 60s/70s and even 80s had much more dynamic range than modern music. I still doubt the diff between flac and 320kbps mp3 is "easily" discernable though.
X2 to that!
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornman View Post
lol, this seriously made me laugh.
yeah lol. Rock doesn't have screaming in it or death sounds. SOME metal does, but most of the good metal isn't screaming.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Science
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › Is it easier to discern 320k mp3 & FLAC/other lossless on old songs