Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Tube amp with low impedance Headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tube amp with low impedance Headphones - Page 2

post #16 of 27



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikongod View Post

 


I disagree with this, well I disagree that it is implicating that tube amps are inherently noisier than other types of amps. This is definitely not the case. Any amp can be noisy.

 

db/mw is a bad way to look at whether a particular thing will be noisy. There are quite a few high impedance headphones pushing close to 100db/mw after all... you have to have an especially speshul amp for someone to say that they are noisy. (A high gain SS amp with high impedance feedback/input impedance setting resistors should do just fine). db/mv is a better standard if you want to look at noise. 


I will as is me perogative stick by what i said. Tube amps are noisier than SS amps,in fact as you know they excell at picking up mains hum which to me is totally unacceptable,and at the price some sell at nothing short of outrageous.

 

Yes there are good and bad with all but in this day and age NO amp should exhibit noise, more so if it sells itself as a "headphone amp".

post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford2 View Post



 


I will as is me perogative stick by what i said. Tube amps are noisier than SS amps,in fact as you know they excell at picking up mains hum which to me is totally unacceptable,and at the price some sell at nothing short of outrageous.

 

Yes there are good and bad with all but in this day and age NO amp should exhibit noise, more so if it sells itself as a "headphone amp".



It really depends on the design and build quality. A lot of the inexpensive tube amps skimp on the power supply. When the power supply is built correctly and the amp is laid out right, mains hum is not an issue.

It's not necessarily a flaw inherent to tubes - the problem is that a lot of people want tubes but aren't willing to pay for an adequate power supply.
post #18 of 27


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford2 View Post



 


I will as is me perogative stick by what i said. Tube amps are noisier than SS amps,in fact as you know they excell at picking up mains hum which to me is totally unacceptable,and at the price some sell at nothing short of outrageous.

 

Yes there are good and bad with all but in this day and age NO amp should exhibit noise, more so if it sells itself as a "headphone amp".


I disagree also. I had even the inexpensive Little Dot MK11 and had no hum or noise with that inexpensive amp. My Decware CSP-2 has a great power supply and on my T1 and LCD2 I have zero Hum and no noise. I agree with Uncle Eric its more about design and the quality of the power supply. With good to great gear and I had a 2 Channel tube preamp with and never heard hum with any of my preamp or amps. I also have SS amps that do not exhibit any noise that I could hear.

post #19 of 27

my recommendation will be XU-3 tube amp,  I didn't hear any background noise or other hum on it(I used Triple Fi 10)

it delivers a very transparent and balanced sound.

and have a nice price tag(120USD including shipping to U.S.).

available on fleabay(there have been some great feedback).

post #20 of 27

Neither of my two Woo Audio amps have even the slightest amount of hum.  Neither does my Ray Samuels The Stealth.  And you should see the power supply on The Stealth...that's how it should be done.


Edited by Skylab - 10/2/10 at 6:46am
post #21 of 27

My WA22 had hum when I first got it but I had Woo Audio add some shielding to the transformers.  Fast forward almost a year, and it's dead silent.

 

It has no problem driving my D7000s too.  Five clicks on the volume is enough for pretty much all of my music (unless I really want to rock out, then it's 8-9 clicks).

 

It also depends on what tubes you're using; the 7236s provide more power than the 6AS7Gs.

post #22 of 27

My MAD Ear+ HD is dead silent, no matter what tubes are being used or headphone impedance.

post #23 of 27



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongringo View Post

My MAD Ear+ HD is dead silent, no matter what tubes are being used or headphone impedance.



 Just shows how different people have different experiences,the MAD Ear + HD that I had exhibited a slight mains hum with CD3000,and could still be detected with SA5000's

 

 

 

post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dongringo View Post

There are a few out there that are doable such as the Woo WA6 or Mapletree Ear+HD (which I ordered and am waiting for) that will drive most impedances. OTL amps aren't the way to go. Look for a transformer coupled amp or one that has a low output impedance. Either that or look for hybrids.

Why aren't OTL Amps the way to go? Just trying to understand this a little bit more. 

I own the Audio Technica 3000 ANVs and I somehow feel it's possible that my Naim V1 Dac has too much power - it's just a hunch, and it's mainly because I don't understand it. 

The Woo Audio WA 5 is supposed to be great with my 32 Ohm headphone, but I don't understand it much either 

post #25 of 27

For me there were three choices for transformer output valve amps that could drive low impedance loads, i.e. Grados

 

Bottlehead S.E.X. $539

Woo WA6 $660

Mad Ear HD $760

 

The Bottlehead was what i went with because its fantastic value, and the fact it was a kit you have to build really appealed to me.

 

As for hum, first thing to note is all tubes start off noisy and need time to burn in, anything from 50-100 hours.  Second highly sensitive cans like high end Grados may pick up background hum but that is easily dialed out with a couple of resistors to pad the output.

 

I mainly use mine to drive Ms-Pros, with 120ohm resistors on the TRS jack to lower the noise floor.  And also HD650's via the XLR jack which is wired for balanced output.  Sounds wonderful with either so i can highly recommend it for anybody with a little soldering iron skills.  If DIY isn't your thing, the WA6 is probably the best bang for the buck.  You can also have the Bottlehead amps factory assembled, but it will work out more expensive that the other two options.

 

post #26 of 27

if you aren't against OTL I will recommend the TORPEDO! amp

post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcandmar View Post
 

For me there were three choices for transformer output valve amps that could drive low impedance loads, i.e. Grados

 

Bottlehead S.E.X. $539

Woo WA6 $660

Mad Ear HD $760

 

The Bottlehead was what i went with because its fantastic value, and the fact it was a kit you have to build really appealed to me.

 

As for hum, first thing to note is all tubes start off noisy and need time to burn in, anything from 50-100 hours.  Second highly sensitive cans like high end Grados may pick up background hum but that is easily dialed out with a couple of resistors to pad the output.

 

I mainly use mine to drive Ms-Pros, with 120ohm resistors on the TRS jack to lower the noise floor.  And also HD650's via the XLR jack which is wired for balanced output.  Sounds wonderful with either so i can highly recommend it for anybody with a little soldering iron skills.  If DIY isn't your thing, the WA6 is probably the best bang for the buck.  You can also have the Bottlehead amps factory assembled, but it will work out more expensive that the other two options.

 


Great looking amp.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Tube amp with low impedance Headphones