The Etymotic MC5's were really disappointing. They sounded too analytical and boring. I immediately hated them from when I first tried them on though the fit/isolation and detail was very good for the price and the build quality was top notch.
Recent Images In This Thread
- itemAKG K340 Electrostatic Dynamic Headphones
- itemAlessandro MS 1
- itemAlessandro MS2i
- itemAudio Technica ATH A700 Headphones
- itemAudio Technica ATH AD700
- itemBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 Closed Studio Headphones
- itemBeyerdynamic DT990 250 Ohm
- itemBOSE R QCZ GB Triport Headphone
- itemBOSE R Triport Headphone Silver
- itemBose TriPort Headphones Ear Cup Silver
- itemBose TriPort Headphones Ear Cup Slate Gray
- itemDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over Ear Headphones
- itemEtymotic Research ER6i Isolator In Ear Earphones Black
- itemGrado SR60 Headphones
- itemGrado SR 80
- itemSennheiser CX300 B Earbuds Black
- itemSennheiser HD 205 Headphones
- itemSennheiser HD205 II DJ Headphones
- itemSennheiser HD 280 Headphones
- itemSennheiser HD 595 Headphones
- itemSennheiser HD 800 Headphones
- itemShure E2c Sound Isolating Earphones
- itemShure E3c Sound Isolating Earphones
- itemShure E4c Sound Isolating Earphones
- itemUltrasone HFI 780
- itemUltrasone PRO 2500
- itemUltrasone Zino
- itemYuin OK3 Earphones
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ i.e. Don't start a new thread: ask for... Last post on Today at 11:23 am in Headphones (full-size)
- Can anyone please suggest alternatives to the HD595($150 on amazon) under $200-250 ? Last post on 5/16/11 at 11:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphones around $400 Last post on 2/22/11 at 2:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Your advice on a new headphone Last post on 3/21/13 at 12:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for over-ear headphones. Any advice? Last post on 9/27/12 at 12:58am in Headphones (full-size)
2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)
Edited on 12/28/12
- Comparing headphones: Sennheiser's HD 800, HD 600, HD 25-1 and...Edited on 5/27/12
- Grado Modification OverviewEdited on 9/27/11
- Headphone ImpedanceEdited on 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeEdited on 10/26/12
Related Head Gear
I bought these headphones just for the fun of it, to see how they sound with all that apparently amazing bass. Well, for $50, they're ok sounding for extra bass headphones. They do have a...
Bought it some time ago, based on user reviews. Straight out of the box it seemed huge, especially compared to my old Cowon D2. Also, sound was awful. Granted, I don't have large hi-fi cans, only...
Along with the summary below, I have posted a Youtube video review of the ATH-CKN70. If you like the video, check out my channel for more reviews :) Summary BUILD The...
Introduction I’m a basshead. I say that loudly and proudly, even though some folks believe basshead and audiophile are mutually exclusive. Obviously, I’m not in that camp. But sometimes, I...
I read reviews on this and I said let me try this out, for $10 I couldn't lose. This surpassed all of expectations for a $10 IEM. I am going to purchase a set for my wife, she was also blown...
Headphones you regretted buying the most - Page 75
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1112 of 13128/1/12 at 8:34pmQuote:
Those were my first IEM of good quality, and I really enjoyed them until I got some Atrios in the house. I gave the Etys to a lady friend and she seems to enjoy them.
PS. The Etys sounded significantly better once I put some Comply tips on them.post #1113 of 13128/1/12 at 8:36pm
Meelectronics M6. I know I know, that they're a budget IEM but I never once could replicate the (positive) reviews that I read from forums and from Amazon itself. The in-ear monitor sounds too thin, bright and fitting it is just a nightmare. The volume level on both sides aren't even matched.
Did look later to see if what I bought came from Amazon itself and yea it did. So i guess the headphones isn't just good.post #1114 of 13128/1/12 at 8:46pm
Denon AH-D2000. Had them for about of year since I don't try to buy the same pair of cans twice, but I never really liked them. Coming from a pair of DT880, they were too recessed for my taste and didn't have the overall clarity I like. Also, I did not care for the overall build quality. I really like my new Q701 but AKG should be smacked for the headband design.
Edited by DJ McFinnigan - 8/1/12 at 8:48pmpost #1115 of 13128/1/12 at 8:49pm
ATH-M30 -- bought them for DJing, I plug it in and wonder why FM radio is playing house music--congested and grainy
RE2 -- my first serious IEM, clarity was light-years ahead of the Apple buds so I thought it was really great at the time but it was way too cold and bright... also the RE2s came with a bundled E5 which was a lame combo, it just made the sound a little muddier and slow... a few months later I upgrade to Phonak 022s and what a glorious sweet heaven... wish I had just bought the Phonaks to begin withpost #1116 of 13128/1/12 at 9:22pm
Beats pro, I bought them so I could see for myself how good they are, and then I was going to return them for some denon d5000. sadly I dropped them and got a the adjustable headband came lose and the corner of it got chipped so they refused to take it back.post #1117 of 13128/1/12 at 9:35pm
None other than the well-known ATH-M50. Here's why:
1. I find them far too uncomfortable.
I even ordered new pads because I thought that was the problem, but apparently not. I stretched them for days and it seems that nothing has helped. There's always an unpleasant pressure near the bottom of my jaw and the headband is terribly thin. This is the main reason I dislike them - I just can't enjoy my music without noticing how uncomfortable they are.
2. I don't think they're worth the $120 price tag.
Speaking from a consumer standpoint, they sound nice but reviews online build up the tension perfect for disappointment. To the untrained ear, the difference in sound quality is not proportionate to the difference in price. Alright, this may be a personal issue/preference, but it's still an issue in my book. This actually transitions into my next point...
3. They could sound better.
I do like the V-shaped sound signature, but I don't really like the soundstage. I like my soundstage either very close or very far. Also, I'm not a basshead but I think I would like a bit more bass impact (I have the white box version, which is apparently more neutral). I also find them a bit too harsh/sibilant/bright? I must have delicate ears. Otherwise, I think they sound quite nice across the board but for $120 I wish I got a bit more.
4. They're too bulky for my tastes (also see: not portable in the slightest).
I know, they're obviously not built to be portable cans...but why, then, do people still recommend them as such? Anyways, they're very bulky (although fairly light in comparison to the SRH440s) and the cord is absolutely impractical for pocket storage. The cord is not detachable and has no remote/mic option. It's also fairly incompatible with my computer, which has its headphone jack on the front, making the cable hang down on my lap as I browse...which is annoying. Wearing them around the neck isn't too comfortable. All in all - why anybody would take it outside is beyond me (although I've seen it happen before).
Conclusion: I just don't like 'em. Should've tried something else like the Shures (440s) or Ultrasones (580s/780s). Maybe the Senn HD558s, because I'm interested in the open-style sound.
Edited by Boullion - 8/2/12 at 2:51pmpost #1118 of 13128/1/12 at 9:47pm
Deep down I kind of wish I had just skipped the ATH-AD2000. It felt like buying a new new BMW or Ferrari, but with no seats.
It makes me sick having to do some stupid "phat pad" mod on a $425 (USED!!) headphone. Your ears would press against the metal driver cover and just constantly annoy you.
Not only that, but the pads stink and it's not due to human contact. Why would Audio Technica ruin such an amazing headphone with such bad pads that go flat and feel weird?
If the ATH-AD2000 had GOOD pads I would have been happy to pay up to $600 for a new pair. No joke. Hopefully AT got the pads right on the W1000X. Probably not a chance they sound similar.
I also once traded something for a Sextett. On day one I was kind of kicking myself. I won't mention what I traded it for. Despite nice mids, my Sextett always sounded like...well a $75 headphone. Sorry.post #1119 of 13128/1/12 at 10:12pmQuote:
Ever thought of trying out the HE-500? I'd assume they'd impress you even more, and the pads are quite nice!post #1120 of 13128/1/12 at 10:44pmpost #1121 of 13128/2/12 at 12:38am
Its itchy sound signature made me think there was something wrong with my hearing.
It has set me to the endless upgade path that eventually led me to LCD-2.
Had it been ATH-M50, it would probably end being my only headphone.post #1122 of 13128/2/12 at 4:13amQuote:
Doubt it, ATH-M50 was my first headphone and I went on a crazy upgrade path regardless. Staying on headfi doesn't make you content with what you have. This place is evil.post #1123 of 13128/2/12 at 4:23ampost #1124 of 13128/2/12 at 6:08amQuote:
They are definitely good for the price but I was coming from a pair of RE0's which was definitely much more musical and warm in comparison. I am definitely not hating on the Etymotic brand as I now own and primarily use the HF2 which I love.
- Headphones you regretted buying the most
- Comparing headphones: Sennheiser's HD 800, HD 600, HD 25-1 and...
- › Ultrasone Signature DJ 15 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 17 seconds ago
- › Norse Audio: Feedback & Impression Thread 18 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 49 seconds ago
- › Somic EFi-82 MT: Believe the Hype 1 minute ago
- › Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones 2 minutes ago
- › Android phones and USB DACs 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought 2 minutes ago
- › Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead 3 minutes ago
- › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 Hybrid IEM (Stealth) - Sennheiser IE800... 3 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphones by derbigpr
- › Colorfly Pocket Hi-fi C4 by yxmees
- › audio-technica Premium Compact Inner Ear Headphones ATH-CKN70 Black... by a_recording
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by TheGame21x
- › Monoprice 8320 IEM by Taharqa
- › Fanmusic MS-E1011 by ItsMeHere
- › Audio-gd NFB-5 by citadel
- › HE-5LE by JamesHuntington
- › Kozee Sound Solutions Infinity X2 by Insight Reviews
- › JVC HA M750 by tinamou62
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe