The Etymotic MC5's were really disappointing. They sounded too analytical and boring. I immediately hated them from when I first tried them on though the fit/isolation and detail was very good for the price and the build quality was top notch.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K340 Electrostatic-Dynamic Headphonestagged by System, 1/15/11
- productAlessandro MS-1tagged by System, 1/15/11
- productAlessandro MS2itagged by System, 1/15/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-A700 Headphonestagged by System, 1/15/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 1/15/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 1/15/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT990 Premium 250 Ohmtagged by System, 1/15/11
- productBOSE(R) QCZ/GB Triport Headphonetagged by System, 7/30/10
- productBOSE(R) Triport Headphone - Silvertagged by System, 7/30/10
- productBose TriPort - Headphones ( ear-cup ) - silvertagged by System, 7/30/10More
- productBose TriPort - Headphones ( ear-cup ) - slate graytagged by System, 7/30/10
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 1/15/11
- productEtymotic Research ER6i Isolator In-Ear Earphones (Black)tagged by System, 1/15/11
- productGrado SR60 Headphonestagged by System, 1/15/11
- productGrado SR-80tagged by System, 1/15/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/16/10
- productSennheiser CX300-B Earbuds (Black)tagged by System, 1/15/11
- productSennheiser HD 205 Headphonestagged by System, 1/15/11
- productSennheiser HD205 II DJ Headphonestagged by System, 1/15/11
- productSennheiser HD 280 Headphonestagged by System, 1/15/11
- productSennheiser HD 595 Headphonestagged by System, 7/30/10
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 1/15/11
- productShure E2c Sound Isolating Earphonestagged by System, 1/15/11
- productShure E3c Sound Isolating Earphonestagged by System, 1/15/11
- productShure E4c Sound Isolating Earphonestagged by System, 1/15/11
- productUltrasone HFI-780tagged by System, 1/15/11
- productUltrasone PRO 2500tagged by System, 1/15/11
- productUltrasone Zinotagged by System, 1/15/11
- productYuin OK3 Earphonestagged by System, 1/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Can anyone please suggest alternatives to the HD595($150 on amazon) under $200-250 ? Last post on 8/28/13 at 7:52pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Best headphones around $400 Last post on 8/9/13 at 10:51pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Your advice on a new headphone Last post on 3/21/13 at 12:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I have to give Massdrop a lot of credit for trying to bring high-end audio to the masses through their audiophile community. Those behind their initiatives have managed to bring together...
This little DAC punches way way way above its weight. I fell deep into the audiophile hole about a month ago, waiting for our 2nd son to be born. If I could be so bold, I went through a...
I love the Beyerdynamic dt770 250 Ohms. After searching high and low for a closed back headphone I fell upon these knowing that I would carry an amp. With the Cayin C5 - High gain at about 2.5...
As a music lover who prefers a portable means of listening to music, you might eventually discover that your device can't provide enough power for your IEMs, headphones, or earphones to reach...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we are going to be checking out the Mixcder ShareMe Pro, a Bluetooth headphone created with the aim of bringing listeners together. I was first introduced to...
Headphones you regretted buying the most - Page 75post #1111 of 17328/1/12 at 7:57pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1112 of 17328/1/12 at 8:34pmQuote:
Those were my first IEM of good quality, and I really enjoyed them until I got some Atrios in the house. I gave the Etys to a lady friend and she seems to enjoy them.
PS. The Etys sounded significantly better once I put some Comply tips on them.post #1113 of 17328/1/12 at 8:36pm
Meelectronics M6. I know I know, that they're a budget IEM but I never once could replicate the (positive) reviews that I read from forums and from Amazon itself. The in-ear monitor sounds too thin, bright and fitting it is just a nightmare. The volume level on both sides aren't even matched.
Did look later to see if what I bought came from Amazon itself and yea it did. So i guess the headphones isn't just good.post #1114 of 17328/1/12 at 8:46pm
Denon AH-D2000. Had them for about of year since I don't try to buy the same pair of cans twice, but I never really liked them. Coming from a pair of DT880, they were too recessed for my taste and didn't have the overall clarity I like. Also, I did not care for the overall build quality. I really like my new Q701 but AKG should be smacked for the headband design.
Edited by DJ McFinnigan - 8/1/12 at 8:48pmpost #1115 of 17328/1/12 at 8:49pm
ATH-M30 -- bought them for DJing, I plug it in and wonder why FM radio is playing house music--congested and grainy
RE2 -- my first serious IEM, clarity was light-years ahead of the Apple buds so I thought it was really great at the time but it was way too cold and bright... also the RE2s came with a bundled E5 which was a lame combo, it just made the sound a little muddier and slow... a few months later I upgrade to Phonak 022s and what a glorious sweet heaven... wish I had just bought the Phonaks to begin withpost #1116 of 17328/1/12 at 9:22pm
Beats pro, I bought them so I could see for myself how good they are, and then I was going to return them for some denon d5000. sadly I dropped them and got a the adjustable headband came lose and the corner of it got chipped so they refused to take it back.post #1117 of 17328/1/12 at 9:35pm
None other than the well-known ATH-M50. Here's why:
1. I find them far too uncomfortable.
I even ordered new pads because I thought that was the problem, but apparently not. I stretched them for days and it seems that nothing has helped. There's always an unpleasant pressure near the bottom of my jaw and the headband is terribly thin. This is the main reason I dislike them - I just can't enjoy my music without noticing how uncomfortable they are.
2. I don't think they're worth the $120 price tag.
Speaking from a consumer standpoint, they sound nice but reviews online build up the tension perfect for disappointment. To the untrained ear, the difference in sound quality is not proportionate to the difference in price. Alright, this may be a personal issue/preference, but it's still an issue in my book. This actually transitions into my next point...
3. They could sound better.
I do like the V-shaped sound signature, but I don't really like the soundstage. I like my soundstage either very close or very far. Also, I'm not a basshead but I think I would like a bit more bass impact (I have the white box version, which is apparently more neutral). I also find them a bit too harsh/sibilant/bright? I must have delicate ears. Otherwise, I think they sound quite nice across the board but for $120 I wish I got a bit more.
4. They're too bulky for my tastes (also see: not portable in the slightest).
I know, they're obviously not built to be portable cans...but why, then, do people still recommend them as such? Anyways, they're very bulky (although fairly light in comparison to the SRH440s) and the cord is absolutely impractical for pocket storage. The cord is not detachable and has no remote/mic option. It's also fairly incompatible with my computer, which has its headphone jack on the front, making the cable hang down on my lap as I browse...which is annoying. Wearing them around the neck isn't too comfortable. All in all - why anybody would take it outside is beyond me (although I've seen it happen before).
Conclusion: I just don't like 'em. Should've tried something else like the Shures (440s) or Ultrasones (580s/780s). Maybe the Senn HD558s, because I'm interested in the open-style sound.
Edited by Boullion - 8/2/12 at 2:51pmpost #1118 of 17328/1/12 at 9:47pm
Deep down I kind of wish I had just skipped the ATH-AD2000. It felt like buying a new new BMW or Ferrari, but with no seats.
It makes me sick having to do some stupid "phat pad" mod on a $425 (USED!!) headphone. Your ears would press against the metal driver cover and just constantly annoy you.
Not only that, but the pads stink and it's not due to human contact. Why would Audio Technica ruin such an amazing headphone with such bad pads that go flat and feel weird?
If the ATH-AD2000 had GOOD pads I would have been happy to pay up to $600 for a new pair. No joke. Hopefully AT got the pads right on the W1000X. Probably not a chance they sound similar.
I also once traded something for a Sextett. On day one I was kind of kicking myself. I won't mention what I traded it for. Despite nice mids, my Sextett always sounded like...well a $75 headphone. Sorry.post #1119 of 17328/1/12 at 10:12pmQuote:
Ever thought of trying out the HE-500? I'd assume they'd impress you even more, and the pads are quite nice!post #1120 of 17328/1/12 at 10:44pmpost #1121 of 17328/2/12 at 12:38am
Its itchy sound signature made me think there was something wrong with my hearing.
It has set me to the endless upgade path that eventually led me to LCD-2.
Had it been ATH-M50, it would probably end being my only headphone.post #1122 of 17328/2/12 at 4:13amQuote:
Doubt it, ATH-M50 was my first headphone and I went on a crazy upgrade path regardless. Staying on headfi doesn't make you content with what you have. This place is evil.post #1123 of 17328/2/12 at 4:23ampost #1124 of 17328/2/12 at 6:08amQuote:
They are definitely good for the price but I was coming from a pair of RE0's which was definitely much more musical and warm in comparison. I am definitely not hating on the Etymotic brand as I now own and primarily use the HF2 which I love.
- Headphones you regretted buying the most
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG 7 seconds ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 10 seconds ago
- › Audio Technica ATH-M40x: The Little Brother that Could 2 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 2 minutes ago
- › Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz) 4 minutes ago
- › Rate the video games you're currently playing 4 minutes ago
- › 1964 Ears Adel IEMs 5 minutes ago
- › Audeze EL-8 Closed Version Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!! 7 minutes ago
- › 👍DAP-off: Astell&Kern AK240, AK380, HiFiMAN HM-901, Sony ZX-1,... 7 minutes ago
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by reikoshea
- › Hifime Sabre 9018 USB DAC by Rish732
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by Rish732
- › FiiO A1 Micro Headphone Amplifier by chef8489
- › Over Ear Headphones，Mixcder ShareMe Pro Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo HiFi... by B9Scrambler
- › DIGNIS LAETUS case for Chord Electronics Mojo by HiFiChris
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5i by cleg
- › Final F7200 by Takeanidea
- › Denon Music Maniac In-Ear Headphones (AH-C250) by redeyeguy
- › RHA T20 by RaoulRutnam
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...