Getting another pair of these today, going to recable them with Toxic Cables SPC 26awg cable, and do the foil mod. Will let you know how it goes, and maybe lots of pictures of the recable. Hopefully the SPC cable will bring out details and control the bass.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- On-ear headphones $50-$100 Last post on 3/31/13 at 3:28pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Does anyone wear fullsize headphones out in public? Last post on 10/10/12 at 1:58am in Headphones (full-size)
- Having trouble finding a sub $100 headphone. Please help! Last post on 9/24/12 at 4:36pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- On ear, open/semi-open portable headphones? Last post on 9/19/12 at 8:32pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Semi open vs open headphone for classical music Last post on 9/20/12 at 5:41pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Sony XB90EX Review This is not gonna be super in depth but just a small review and a comparison to the Sony XBA30. Ok so first thing I noticed when unboxing, wow they are big! Definitely much...
first review. yayyyyyyyyyy, so here we go. I am no super expert in headphones, but heres what I think the bass is very rumbling. I think that it wasn't as thumping or hard hitting as i would like...
I currently had done a review for the Fostex HP-A3 DAC/amp unit, which is a couple years old, but none the less one of the best units in the price range from experience and reading material...
Bought these in an airport as my other earbuds had stopped working. Even though I bought these in an emergency I immediately regret this purchase. They are definitely worse than the old apple...
Thanks to Calyx for allowing Team Tokyo to borrow a unit for review. Note: Version 0.6 and 0.95 of the software were used for this review. The first thing many people wanted when they...
Sennheiser HD238: Brief Review and Modding - Page 4post #46 of 5311/5/12 at 3:09am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #47 of 5311/16/12 at 2:07ampost #48 of 5311/17/12 at 10:03ampost #49 of 5311/18/12 at 12:01amBass isn't as boomy, slightly more details in the mids and highs, also the mids came forward a bit.
I did the cable for sound and because the stock cable is horrendously thin and bad qualitypost #50 of 5311/19/12 at 2:02amThread Starterpost #51 of 5311/19/12 at 2:11ampost #52 of 5311/20/12 at 3:56am
found my favourite, only gripe is the highs arent quite as detailed, but still good. Bass is a lot more punchy as the slightly boomy bass annoyed me.
Dynamat on the back of the driver, thick felt around the dynamat, stock foam with foil.
Edited by ostewart - 11/20/12 at 4:00ampost #53 of 537/12/13 at 4:24am
I need to say thanks to the OP. My HD238 has been lying under the bed for almost a year because I could not bear the bloated bass (already did Astroid's mod shortly after purchase in a desperate attempt to save the sound/headphones, which did not help much). I had vacation so I thought I might try doing something about the dark sound and revive the headphones.
Based on the OP's experiments with cotton and other stuff, I first tried removing the black foam from the driver housing. This exacerbated the bass bloat problem. So I just did the opposite of that - I put the black foam back in and added some more cotton behind the drivers. To my surprise, it worked in a way similar to a regular bass-reflex speaker cabinet. The more cotton I put in the cavity, the less bass I got from the headphone. Unlike for bass-reflex housing, this also has some impact on other frequencies (there's just one cavity for everything). I found putting too much cotton inside resulted in overly bright sound (even without any alu foil). This can be, to a certain extent, compensated by putting some cotton where the black foam was removed from with Astroid's mod).
After some experimenting, I have here a headphone which is sonically close to my Superlux HD668B (the treble is even a bit cleaner). Considering how (bad) HD 238 sounds stock, this is a huge surprise to me. And all this can be achieved just by slightly adjusting what's behind/in front of the driver? :)Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Sennheiser HD238: Brief Review and Modding
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.5.0 16 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser headphones for a mix of quality audio in music and gaming? 32 seconds ago
- › Denon ah-d600 review. 2 minutes ago
- › Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR 2 minutes ago
- › TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC appreciation +... 3 minutes ago
- › SoundMagic HP100 4 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 5 minutes ago
- › = Hifiman Regrilling Mod = 6 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 7 minutes ago
- › SONY MDR-XB90EX | In-Ear EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese Import) by kevms89
- › M-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphones by classycans
- › Audio Poutine CDAC+ by WhiskeyJacks
- › Hama HK-3063 by Blanejmc
- › Calyx Audio M by Currawong
- › Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro - 600 ohms by MrTechAgent
- › T-PEOS H-100II by mark2410
- › Yulong Audio D200 32bit 384khz DSD DAC by customNuts
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by Wyd4
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by MattTCG
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)