Getting another pair of these today, going to recable them with Toxic Cables SPC 26awg cable, and do the foil mod. Will let you know how it goes, and maybe lots of pictures of the recable. Hopefully the SPC cable will bring out details and control the bass.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- On-ear headphones $50-$100 Last post on 3/31/13 at 3:28pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Does anyone wear fullsize headphones out in public? Last post on 10/10/12 at 1:58am in Headphones (full-size)
- Having trouble finding a sub $100 headphone. Please help! Last post on 9/24/12 at 4:36pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- On ear, open/semi-open portable headphones? Last post on 9/19/12 at 8:32pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Semi open vs open headphone for classical music Last post on 9/20/12 at 5:41pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Before I begin, I'd like to thank @NLNH for sending me a set free of charge in exchange for my review. I will try and be as honest and truthful as I can in my review regardless. To be honest, when...
DUNU TITAN 5 Quick Review Thanks to DUNU for the sample. Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/806906/dunu-titan-5-review-by-mark2410 Brief: DUNU have triplets. Price: £95 or...
For larger (1200 x 800) images, click any pictureINTRODUCTION A lot of you will see the style and information with this review as being pretty similar to the one I did on the AM2. And the reality...
Brainwavz IntroABOUT USBrainwavz provides high-end earphones specifically designed for high-quality sound and tailor-made to provide the user with a solution that can be used across a wide range of...
Sound Blaster X G5 The Gaming device with everything* we asked for A Little Context The G5 is part of Creative's "Blaster X" gamer focused line, cued after the name of the X7. I loved the...
Sennheiser HD238: Brief Review and Modding - Page 4post #46 of 5311/5/12 at 3:09am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #47 of 5311/16/12 at 2:07ampost #48 of 5311/17/12 at 10:03ampost #49 of 5311/18/12 at 12:01amBass isn't as boomy, slightly more details in the mids and highs, also the mids came forward a bit.
I did the cable for sound and because the stock cable is horrendously thin and bad qualitypost #50 of 5311/19/12 at 2:02amThread Starterpost #51 of 5311/19/12 at 2:11ampost #52 of 5311/20/12 at 3:56am
found my favourite, only gripe is the highs arent quite as detailed, but still good. Bass is a lot more punchy as the slightly boomy bass annoyed me.
Dynamat on the back of the driver, thick felt around the dynamat, stock foam with foil.
Edited by ostewart - 11/20/12 at 4:00ampost #53 of 537/12/13 at 4:24am
I need to say thanks to the OP. My HD238 has been lying under the bed for almost a year because I could not bear the bloated bass (already did Astroid's mod shortly after purchase in a desperate attempt to save the sound/headphones, which did not help much). I had vacation so I thought I might try doing something about the dark sound and revive the headphones.
Based on the OP's experiments with cotton and other stuff, I first tried removing the black foam from the driver housing. This exacerbated the bass bloat problem. So I just did the opposite of that - I put the black foam back in and added some more cotton behind the drivers. To my surprise, it worked in a way similar to a regular bass-reflex speaker cabinet. The more cotton I put in the cavity, the less bass I got from the headphone. Unlike for bass-reflex housing, this also has some impact on other frequencies (there's just one cavity for everything). I found putting too much cotton inside resulted in overly bright sound (even without any alu foil). This can be, to a certain extent, compensated by putting some cotton where the black foam was removed from with Astroid's mod).
After some experimenting, I have here a headphone which is sonically close to my Superlux HD668B (the treble is even a bit cleaner). Considering how (bad) HD 238 sounds stock, this is a huge surprise to me. And all this can be achieved just by slightly adjusting what's behind/in front of the driver? :)Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Sennheiser HD238: Brief Review and Modding
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › [REVIEW/TOUR] Somic MH412 + Viper4Android. The "Put Up or Shut Up"... 18 seconds ago
- › Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC 1 minute ago
- › Meridian Explorer² Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › ROCK Zircon + Mula IEM Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player 1 minute ago
- › OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 280 pro thread 4 minutes ago
- › HD580 HD600 HD650 ear pads 7 minutes ago
- › ACS T1 by Docjitters
- › QKZ W1 Pro - In-ear sport headphone by B9Scrambler
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by mechgamer123
- › Dunu TITAN 5 by mark2410
- › FiiO AM5 - High Power Amplifier Module for X7 by Brooko
- › Brainwavz Truss - The All Metal Under Desk Dual Headphone Hanger... by Wokei
- › Creative Labs Sound BlasterX G5 by Evshrug
- › Brainwavz XFIT XF-200 In-Ear Sport Earbuds Noise Isolating... by thatBeatsguy
- › SONY MDRZX330BT/B Sony MDR ZX330BT - Headset - on-ear - wireless -... by Army-Firedawg
- › ZMF Headphones Omni by grizzlybeast
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse