Getting another pair of these today, going to recable them with Toxic Cables SPC 26awg cable, and do the foil mod. Will let you know how it goes, and maybe lots of pictures of the recable. Hopefully the SPC cable will bring out details and control the bass.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- On-ear headphones $50-$100 Last post on 3/31/13 at 3:28pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Does anyone wear fullsize headphones out in public? Last post on 10/10/12 at 1:58am in Headphones (full-size)
- Having trouble finding a sub $100 headphone. Please help! Last post on 9/24/12 at 4:36pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- On ear, open/semi-open portable headphones? Last post on 9/19/12 at 8:32pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Semi open vs open headphone for classical music Last post on 9/20/12 at 5:41pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
At the time of the review, the Venture Electronics Zen was on sale on the company’s Aliexpress store. Here is a link to their listing of the...
Lumia 640 LTE I never owned a portable device (apart from a Sony Walkman in the 80's) because I never felt the use of it. Just out of curiosity, not expecting much, I plugged my Sony MDR-Z7 in my...
MEElectronics/MEEaudio Introduction My experience with IEMs is short lived, but I've had fair enough experience to give you proper detailing. I mainly use detachable only, and can report from...
Introduction In audio circles, the word "endgame" generally refers to a headphone or audio chain component that is practically without fault, and performs at a high enough level to...
Would never dreamed of buying a pair of Beats but end up finding a pair for a rock bottom price(1/3 of the normal retail) so I thought what the heck. Just a side note, since they were...
Sennheiser HD238: Brief Review and Modding - Page 4post #46 of 5311/5/12 at 3:09am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #47 of 5311/16/12 at 2:07ampost #48 of 5311/17/12 at 10:03ampost #49 of 5311/18/12 at 12:01amBass isn't as boomy, slightly more details in the mids and highs, also the mids came forward a bit.
I did the cable for sound and because the stock cable is horrendously thin and bad qualitypost #50 of 5311/19/12 at 2:02amThread Starterpost #51 of 5311/19/12 at 2:11ampost #52 of 5311/20/12 at 3:56am
found my favourite, only gripe is the highs arent quite as detailed, but still good. Bass is a lot more punchy as the slightly boomy bass annoyed me.
Dynamat on the back of the driver, thick felt around the dynamat, stock foam with foil.
Edited by ostewart - 11/20/12 at 4:00ampost #53 of 537/12/13 at 4:24am
I need to say thanks to the OP. My HD238 has been lying under the bed for almost a year because I could not bear the bloated bass (already did Astroid's mod shortly after purchase in a desperate attempt to save the sound/headphones, which did not help much). I had vacation so I thought I might try doing something about the dark sound and revive the headphones.
Based on the OP's experiments with cotton and other stuff, I first tried removing the black foam from the driver housing. This exacerbated the bass bloat problem. So I just did the opposite of that - I put the black foam back in and added some more cotton behind the drivers. To my surprise, it worked in a way similar to a regular bass-reflex speaker cabinet. The more cotton I put in the cavity, the less bass I got from the headphone. Unlike for bass-reflex housing, this also has some impact on other frequencies (there's just one cavity for everything). I found putting too much cotton inside resulted in overly bright sound (even without any alu foil). This can be, to a certain extent, compensated by putting some cotton where the black foam was removed from with Astroid's mod).
After some experimenting, I have here a headphone which is sonically close to my Superlux HD668B (the treble is even a bit cleaner). Considering how (bad) HD 238 sounds stock, this is a huge surprise to me. And all this can be achieved just by slightly adjusting what's behind/in front of the driver? :)Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Sennheiser HD238: Brief Review and Modding
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Westone W60 Impressions Thread 36 seconds ago
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion + Tour Application... 1 minute ago
- › Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone 4 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 5 minutes ago
- › Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged) 6 minutes ago
- › OPPO PM-3 Portable Planar Magnetic Headphones Loaner Program 6 minutes ago
- › TEAC HA-P90SD (To be released in Dec, 2014) 7 minutes ago
- › Project Ember Tube Rolling 9 minutes ago
- › The Best IEM's for Bass are...... (The IEM Bass club) 9 minutes ago
- › VE Zen by Hisoundfi
- › Lumia 640 LTE RM-1072 Black - Factory Unlocked - International... by Mink
- › MEElectronics M6 PRO Universal-Fit Noise-Isolating Musician’s... by whitemass
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by eke2k6
- › Beats Solo HD On-Ear Headphone by Skylarke
- › Heaven VII by peter123
- › Noble Audio BTS by HiFiChris
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Cagin
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by White Lotus
- › Etymotic ER-4P Portable In-Ear Earphones by ElMarcado
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3