Getting another pair of these today, going to recable them with Toxic Cables SPC 26awg cable, and do the foil mod. Will let you know how it goes, and maybe lots of pictures of the recable. Hopefully the SPC cable will bring out details and control the bass.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- On-ear headphones $50-$100 Last post on 3/31/13 at 3:28pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Does anyone wear fullsize headphones out in public? Last post on 10/10/12 at 1:58am in Headphones (full-size)
- Having trouble finding a sub $100 headphone. Please help! Last post on 9/24/12 at 4:36pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- On ear, open/semi-open portable headphones? Last post on 9/19/12 at 8:32pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Semi open vs open headphone for classical music Last post on 9/20/12 at 5:41pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
So I got the chance to try out the Aune M1S, and to my Surprise it was way more than I had anticipated or expected. My first impressions was an absolute shock! This thing punches way above it...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we are going to be taking a look at the Paco, a compact, attractive, and smartly priced earphone in Fischer Audio's Totem series of products. Fischer Audio isn't new to the...
Overview I purchased these when they first came out during Black Friday in 2016, when they were on sale for $100 CAD. Until these I had mostly spent all of my money on IEMs since they're a lot...
INTRODUCTION Pioneer really surprised me with the new release of the DJ HRM-6 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones. I've recently tried out seven headphones that are considered high end and...
The nice thing about being last on the tour is that I have the benefit of completely broken in equipment. The new smell and feel is gone. Gone through many miles and air flights, and USPS trucks...
Sennheiser HD238: Brief Review and Modding - Page 4post #46 of 5311/5/12 at 3:09am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #47 of 5311/16/12 at 2:07ampost #48 of 5311/17/12 at 10:03ampost #49 of 5311/18/12 at 12:01amBass isn't as boomy, slightly more details in the mids and highs, also the mids came forward a bit.
I did the cable for sound and because the stock cable is horrendously thin and bad qualitypost #50 of 5311/19/12 at 2:02amThread Starterpost #51 of 5311/19/12 at 2:11ampost #52 of 5311/20/12 at 3:56am
found my favourite, only gripe is the highs arent quite as detailed, but still good. Bass is a lot more punchy as the slightly boomy bass annoyed me.
Dynamat on the back of the driver, thick felt around the dynamat, stock foam with foil.
Edited by ostewart - 11/20/12 at 4:00ampost #53 of 537/12/13 at 4:24am
I need to say thanks to the OP. My HD238 has been lying under the bed for almost a year because I could not bear the bloated bass (already did Astroid's mod shortly after purchase in a desperate attempt to save the sound/headphones, which did not help much). I had vacation so I thought I might try doing something about the dark sound and revive the headphones.
Based on the OP's experiments with cotton and other stuff, I first tried removing the black foam from the driver housing. This exacerbated the bass bloat problem. So I just did the opposite of that - I put the black foam back in and added some more cotton behind the drivers. To my surprise, it worked in a way similar to a regular bass-reflex speaker cabinet. The more cotton I put in the cavity, the less bass I got from the headphone. Unlike for bass-reflex housing, this also has some impact on other frequencies (there's just one cavity for everything). I found putting too much cotton inside resulted in overly bright sound (even without any alu foil). This can be, to a certain extent, compensated by putting some cotton where the black foam was removed from with Astroid's mod).
After some experimenting, I have here a headphone which is sonically close to my Superlux HD668B (the treble is even a bit cleaner). Considering how (bad) HD 238 sounds stock, this is a huge surprise to me. And all this can be achieved just by slightly adjusting what's behind/in front of the driver? :)Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Sennheiser HD238: Brief Review and Modding
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Got the Blues? 14 seconds ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 17 seconds ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 18 seconds ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆ 1 minute ago
- › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion 2 minutes ago
- › FS: EMU Teak Rosewood w/ Peterek Rem. Cable Mod, ZMF Ori Pads 3 minutes ago
- › How many of you have tinnitus? 3 minutes ago
- › Shure SRH1540 Review 4 minutes ago
- › Hifiman Edition X 7 minutes ago
- › Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread 7 minutes ago
- › AUNE M1S 32BIT/384KHZ DSD128 3.5MM/2.5MM BALANCED HIFI AUDIOPHILE... by Hypespazm
- › Fischer Audio Totem Paco by B9Scrambler
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Cs by peaches
- › Pioneer DJ HRM-6 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones by ILIRS CORNER
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by ngoshawk
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by ngoshawk
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by kevingzw
- › thinksound On2 wood on-ear monitor headphone (natural black) by crabdog
- › PSB M4U 1 by JoshG1217
- › Cayin i5 by daduy
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear