Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- On-ear headphones $50-$100 Last post on 3/31/13 at 3:28pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Does anyone wear fullsize headphones out in public? Last post on 10/10/12 at 1:58am in Headphones (full-size)
- Having trouble finding a sub $100 headphone. Please help! Last post on 9/24/12 at 4:36pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- On ear, open/semi-open portable headphones? Last post on 9/19/12 at 8:32pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Semi open vs open headphone for classical music Last post on 9/20/12 at 5:41pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
MEE audio M6 Pro Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to MEE audio for the sample Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/806529/mee-audio-m6-pro-review-by-mark2410 Brief: A bargain...
Intro – There are many gadgets that are desirable but not practical; gadgets that are briefly enjoyed then forgotten over time. The RM1 is a very interesting product from Fiio that is quite the...
THIS IS MY FIRST REVIEW I bought this pair of earphones as a cheap alternative for my broken phone earphones. Once I bought it, I never heard of the brand SoundMagic before yet, and doubted the...
Introduction I recently participated in the OPPO PM-1 loaner program -- many thanks to Chris and the folks at OPPO for providing this wonderful opportunity! I was able to demo the PM-1 headphones...
The Head-Fi website is a place for many good things related to headphones, amplifiers, Digital Audio Players (DAPS), and many more items. Manufacturers will often promote their new items on the...
Sennheiser HD238: Brief Review and Modding - Page 2post #16 of 533/8/10 at 12:23amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 533/11/10 at 6:44amThread Starter
Finally recabled it today. Mogami 2534 and XLO 3.5mm plug. Right off the ball, it sounds muddy and harsh but after a few hours or so, the sound sharpens and the clarity improved. Overall, it sounds great and even better than stock cable.post #18 of 533/13/10 at 1:34pmum wow you put a real audiophile grade cable and plug on there,... great work... i think the higher impedance cable caused your sound change.. i will be keeping the stock cable on these mainly cause i dont feel like doing all that stuff you did..
So the only issue we are left with is the volume which is not as load as many can with lower sound quality so i guess its the trade off...
I was listening to the Sony MDR-XB700 but they dont have as high quality sound as these but they are louder and have great impact and attack which is what these lack... but the Sony MDR-XB700s cushions are tooo big to walk around in public with..lolpost #19 of 533/13/10 at 1:35pmpost #20 of 533/13/10 at 11:59pmThread StarterQuote:Oh yeah maybe paint those cables black so they look more factory!?post #21 of 533/14/10 at 1:30pmpost #22 of 533/14/10 at 11:25pmThread Starterpost #23 of 534/2/10 at 12:49pm
how do i find more on recabling?I am a noob. But luckily I found this thread! I bought the 238's and I was suprized that they sounded worse than they did in the store. That's what brought me here. Now I know that after 100 hours they should sound better. I also broke the plug already after only 2 days of use! My netbook slipped and bent it . now it only gets the full sound when halfway inserted and sound comes out of the speakers at the same time. I want to replace the plug and considered doing the recabling. How hard is it? Any DIY's? BTW my home speakers are ProAc so I am accustomed to decent sound but did not expect great sound from headphones until I found this group.
dpost #24 of 534/4/10 at 12:55pmThread StarterSorry for taking so long to reply...AnywaysQuote:I also broke the plug already after only 2 days of use! My netbook slipped and bent it . now it only gets the full sound when halfway inserted and sound comes out of the speakers at the same time.Quote:I want to replace the plug and considered doing the recabling. How hard is it? Any DIY's? BTW my home speakers are ProAc so I am accustomed to decent sound but did not expect great sound from headphones until I found this group.
Well, I'm not sure if you saw the picture of my re-cabling but its there to show you that it's possible. As far as the difficulty really depends on your effort, experience, and what type of recabling job you want.
As for myself, since the 238 is only my portable headphone, I only wanted something simple:
Wire: Mogami 2534
Connector: XLO HT 3.5mm
...and not to mention that it sounds great, an obvious improvement over the cheap stock cable. Of course, you can always invest in better sounding wire and connector but like I said this is my portable headphone I rather invest into my home set.
If you need help with your re-cable, I'll be more than happy to guide you through step by step.
In addition, if you are looking into improving the sound of the 238, I suggest you follow up with the modifications shown in this thread.post #25 of 534/15/10 at 6:27pmpost #26 of 534/15/10 at 7:21pmpost #27 of 5311/12/10 at 3:31amQuote:Originally Posted by jjsoviet
Wow, great job on the HD238 mod. Mine has the outer black foams taken off, where clarity and soundstage improved slightly even without the Astroid mod (taking off the black inner f9oam in the earpads). So, having tin foil improves the sound significantly... I have yet to try that.
Congrats on your mod.
I've also done the removal of the black center foam. Bass is more introduced and sound level is enhanced. Thanks. I'll update if i'll try the aluminum foil mod. Nice thread!post #28 of 5311/16/10 at 9:47pmQuote:Originally Posted by gorgonmusic
You can use the FiiO E1. It works as an LOD and an amp at the same time. ☺
post #29 of 5312/6/10 at 8:06pmpost #30 of 5312/20/10 at 7:13am
I've bought the Sennheiser HD238 and didn't like how they sound . I wanted to "Mod" them and this is where your "Sennheiser HD238: Brief Review and Modding" came into help.
I'm not afraid to do the modding the only problem is that I don't know what are the materials you mentioned or where to find them : Soft Felt (Blue), Medium Felt(Yellow) and Thick Felt (Black).
Can you help me in any way ??
Thank youReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Sennheiser HD238: Brief Review and Modding
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › RHA MA-750i Review 7 seconds ago
- › [Review] Encore mDSD (dac/amp) - a new pocket rocket to make you hum 32 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 33 seconds ago
- › Shanling M2 DAP 49 seconds ago
- › Beyerdynamic T90 vs Fidelio X2 1 minute ago
- › Car audio 2 minutes ago
- › Official New York Spring Meet Saturday June 11 2016 2 minutes ago
- › Astell&Kern AK380 3 minutes ago
- › LAMPIZATOR THREAD COMMENTS REVIEWS TUNING 8 minutes ago
- › World First! Massdrop x HiFIMAN Collaboration Announcement 8 minutes ago
- › MEElectronics M6 PRO Universal-Fit Noise-Isolating Musician’s... by mark2410
- › FiiO RM1 Bluetooth Remote Controller by ryanjsoo
- › SoundMAGIC ES18 In-Ear Headphones (Black/Red) by d3f4ul7
- › OPPO PM-1 by Sophonax
- › Edifier P275 Noise-Isolating In-Ear Monitor Earphones - Black by ngoshawk
- › Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium HD PCI-E by RockeyDA
- › Campfire Audio Orion by cleg
- › Philips SHG7980 PC Gaming Headset With Adjustable Microphone by Triquatra
- › FLC Technology FLC 8S by H20Fidelity
- › IHIFI-812V2 by Nymphonomaniac
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse