Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- On-ear headphones $50-$100 Last post on 3/31/13 at 3:28pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Does anyone wear fullsize headphones out in public? Last post on 10/10/12 at 1:58am in Headphones (full-size)
- Having trouble finding a sub $100 headphone. Please help! Last post on 9/24/12 at 4:36pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- On ear, open/semi-open portable headphones? Last post on 9/19/12 at 8:32pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Semi open vs open headphone for classical music Last post on 9/20/12 at 5:41pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Bought these after receiving the Massdrop HE-350s which were just too treble-forward for my taste. I listen to a lot of music when at work. Desk space is limited, so I can't justify running an...
When i first got the Cayin iHA-6 and iDAC-6 combo and paired it with my HD800S, i wasn't too thrilled. Compared to my previous HDVD800, there was more detail present from the dac, but it came with...
For larger views of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION I can remember when I first joined Head-Fi, I started with some pretty cheap gear, and I...
At the time this review was written, the TFZ Series 3 was listed for sale on Penon Audio’s website. Here is a link to their listing of the...
Background: I own Sennheiser HD600 and Fiio X3II. I love HD600 because it is comfortable and also works well for my classical music and vocal music. But it doesn't play well with any pop music...
Sennheiser HD238: Brief Review and Modding - Page 2post #16 of 533/8/10 at 12:23amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 533/11/10 at 6:44amThread Starter
Finally recabled it today. Mogami 2534 and XLO 3.5mm plug. Right off the ball, it sounds muddy and harsh but after a few hours or so, the sound sharpens and the clarity improved. Overall, it sounds great and even better than stock cable.post #18 of 533/13/10 at 1:34pmum wow you put a real audiophile grade cable and plug on there,... great work... i think the higher impedance cable caused your sound change.. i will be keeping the stock cable on these mainly cause i dont feel like doing all that stuff you did..
So the only issue we are left with is the volume which is not as load as many can with lower sound quality so i guess its the trade off...
I was listening to the Sony MDR-XB700 but they dont have as high quality sound as these but they are louder and have great impact and attack which is what these lack... but the Sony MDR-XB700s cushions are tooo big to walk around in public with..lolpost #19 of 533/13/10 at 1:35pmpost #20 of 533/13/10 at 11:59pmThread StarterQuote:Oh yeah maybe paint those cables black so they look more factory!?post #21 of 533/14/10 at 1:30pmpost #22 of 533/14/10 at 11:25pmThread Starterpost #23 of 534/2/10 at 12:49pm
how do i find more on recabling?I am a noob. But luckily I found this thread! I bought the 238's and I was suprized that they sounded worse than they did in the store. That's what brought me here. Now I know that after 100 hours they should sound better. I also broke the plug already after only 2 days of use! My netbook slipped and bent it . now it only gets the full sound when halfway inserted and sound comes out of the speakers at the same time. I want to replace the plug and considered doing the recabling. How hard is it? Any DIY's? BTW my home speakers are ProAc so I am accustomed to decent sound but did not expect great sound from headphones until I found this group.
dpost #24 of 534/4/10 at 12:55pmThread StarterSorry for taking so long to reply...AnywaysQuote:I also broke the plug already after only 2 days of use! My netbook slipped and bent it . now it only gets the full sound when halfway inserted and sound comes out of the speakers at the same time.Quote:I want to replace the plug and considered doing the recabling. How hard is it? Any DIY's? BTW my home speakers are ProAc so I am accustomed to decent sound but did not expect great sound from headphones until I found this group.
Well, I'm not sure if you saw the picture of my re-cabling but its there to show you that it's possible. As far as the difficulty really depends on your effort, experience, and what type of recabling job you want.
As for myself, since the 238 is only my portable headphone, I only wanted something simple:
Wire: Mogami 2534
Connector: XLO HT 3.5mm
...and not to mention that it sounds great, an obvious improvement over the cheap stock cable. Of course, you can always invest in better sounding wire and connector but like I said this is my portable headphone I rather invest into my home set.
If you need help with your re-cable, I'll be more than happy to guide you through step by step.
In addition, if you are looking into improving the sound of the 238, I suggest you follow up with the modifications shown in this thread.post #25 of 534/15/10 at 6:27pmpost #26 of 534/15/10 at 7:21pmpost #27 of 5311/12/10 at 3:31amQuote:Originally Posted by jjsoviet
Wow, great job on the HD238 mod. Mine has the outer black foams taken off, where clarity and soundstage improved slightly even without the Astroid mod (taking off the black inner f9oam in the earpads). So, having tin foil improves the sound significantly... I have yet to try that.
Congrats on your mod.
I've also done the removal of the black center foam. Bass is more introduced and sound level is enhanced. Thanks. I'll update if i'll try the aluminum foil mod. Nice thread!post #28 of 5311/16/10 at 9:47pmQuote:Originally Posted by gorgonmusic
You can use the FiiO E1. It works as an LOD and an amp at the same time. ☺
post #29 of 5312/6/10 at 8:06pmpost #30 of 5312/20/10 at 7:13am
I've bought the Sennheiser HD238 and didn't like how they sound . I wanted to "Mod" them and this is where your "Sennheiser HD238: Brief Review and Modding" came into help.
I'm not afraid to do the modding the only problem is that I don't know what are the materials you mentioned or where to find them : Soft Felt (Blue), Medium Felt(Yellow) and Thick Felt (Black).
Can you help me in any way ??
Thank youReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Sennheiser HD238: Brief Review and Modding
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 45 seconds ago
- › Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review 1 minute ago
- › Hidizs AP60 2 minutes ago
- › New Shure SE215 - First Impressions 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1 II (2nd Gen) w/ Bluetooth! 3 minutes ago
- › What makes the Sennheiser 598s so bad for rock/metal? 3 minutes ago
- › Dunu TITAN Series: 1/1es/3/5 -- Ti-Coated Diaphragm "Half In-Ear"... 7 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 9 minutes ago
- › LH Labs Verb IEM Impressions Thread 11 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread 14 minutes ago
- › Philips SHP9500 by MaximumEnnui
- › Cayin iDAC-6 by EvenR
- › Sennheiser HD 800 S by Brooko
- › The Fragrant Zither (TFZ) Series 3 Hifi Earphones by Hisoundfi
- › Bowers & Wilkins P3 by foobar2015
- › "PETEREK (Verbessen)" by Hawaiibadboy
- › FiiO AM2 - Medium Power Amplifier Module for X7 by howdy
- › DiDiT DAC212 by Runningwater
- › Soundaware Esther by FUYU
- › Edifier R1700BT Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers - Active Near-field... by ryanjsoo
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...