- 7,738 Posts. Joined 8/2011
- Location: Chicago!
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Review: Beyerdynamic T1 vs Sennheiser HD800 Last post on 12/8/10 at 8:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- This may sound silly but... Last post on 9/4/10 at 9:29pm in Headphones (full-size)
- If you've tried both, which is more comfortable, the T1 or the HD800? Last post on 11/18/10 at 5:45pm in Headphones (full-size)
- In your opinion, at which price point do headphones provide the greatest value? Last post on 8/29/10 at 2:42am in Headphones (full-size)
- HD800 or T1 balanced? Last post on 8/16/10 at 5:18pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/8/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 12/5/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
Bought one of these to keep me going while I save for a replacement dac for my bedside rig. My previous Dac's have all been in the lower to mid end so this review is based on that level- Arcam,...
Details: Single balanced armature flagship universal IEMs from Final Audio Design Price: Heaven VII EU 550; Heaven VIII EU 600 Specs: Driver: Single BA | Imp: 24Ω | Sens: 106 dB | Freq: not...
The Audeze LCD 2.2 is one of the most popular headphones on Head-Fi. Much has already been written about them, so adding yet another review may not offer anything new or different. However, when...
Me: I am a 21 year old student living in a small town in India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Sennheiser US for providing me with a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. While waiting to receive my review unit of recently...
HD800 and T1 musings... - Page 50post #736 of 10198/26/13 at 5:40am^ yes
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #737 of 10198/26/13 at 1:30pmQuote:
Everybody is entitled to his/her own opinion. To my ears they made a difference and is all what matter to me. If they don't make a difference for you, that is ok too.post #738 of 10198/26/13 at 5:46pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by Takeanidea
This thread is in danger of being derailed- let's get it back on track with something a little less controversial. In what way do the headfiers think the T1's complement the HD800? I think they are a different bass signature and they have a more closed in soundstage which makes the stereo effects stand out a little more to my ears. They are comfortable and a little more sensitive and leak less noise.
I don't really find them complimentary. I find the LCD-2 and HD800 or T1 far more complimentary.post #739 of 10198/26/13 at 8:01pmpost #740 of 10198/27/13 at 12:53amQuote:post #741 of 10198/27/13 at 1:59amQuote:
+1 I agree. I don't no about far better. But I like the T1's by a good margin over the LCD-2.2..post #742 of 10198/27/13 at 8:25ampost #743 of 101911/5/13 at 9:22pmI don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm really split between the hd800 and the t1. As of now I'm leaning towards the hd800 because it seems to be popular among more people than the t1. I will be powering whichever one I get with the SPL phonitor. I have owned the hd650 and Beyer dt880 and although I felt the hd650 was an excellent headphone and provided more resolution I prefer the dt880(but only by a hair. I thought it was more comfortable and had a deeper soundstage). What it boils down to is 2 main questions. 1. Does the t1 have a similar sound signature that is seen in the Dt line. And 2. Although more talk about how great the hd800, is the t1 on the same level as the hd800 and does the t1 offer as much resolution as the hd800. Thanks!post #744 of 101911/5/13 at 11:23pm
I own the HD-800 and the DT-880 in 600 Ohm, also auditioned the T1. To my ears and keeping in mind my musical preference (classical), the HD-800 sounded better and they're definitely more resolving than the T1. The T1 are great cans but compared to the DT-880's I found the extra cost not worth it and they're too bright in the treble for my tastes. Sound signature is the same, only a bit better on all fronts. One major caveat: the HD-800 is the only pair of Senns I own so I can't compare with e.g. the 650's.
What's certainly true with the HD-800 is that it's a bit picky as far as amps go. I drive it with a Violectric V200 and it sounds really nice but when auditioning I tried it with a Burson conductor and found that combo to be harsh and cold. Never tried the Phonitor but from what i hear it's a fine amp and pretty neutral so it should work.
Also, keep in mind that the HD800 is REALLY extremely detailed/resolving. If you listen to less than pristine recordings that's sometimes too much of a good thing as you'll start noticing all kinds of artefacts that were there but not audibly so with less detailed cans. Sometimes that's distracting. If you listen to classical music, btw, there's one pair of cans (below the 5000 USD mark, that is) that imho outshine the HD800 and those are the Hifiman HE-6 but ONLY if you have REALLY powerful amplification on hand.post #745 of 101911/6/13 at 10:39am
I found the HD800 to be excellent when I auditioned it a couple months ago, but I also found the T1s to be significantly better than the DT880. I purchased the 880s initially and wasn't crazy about them. I was somewhat apprehensive to go with the T1s based on that, but I went ahead and pulled the trigger and was very impressed. They've been one of my two favorite headphones for nearly two years now.
I found the T1s and HD800s to be more similar than different. Unfortunately I don't recall what amp it was that was being used with the HD800s, but it was a higher end Japanese product. I have a very small group of folks here on head-fi whose opinions I value and trust, and each of them have told me that the 800s scale to a larger degree than the T1s do. The amp I heard them on was somewhere around $3k, but I wish I had written down the make and model. I know I wasn't familiar with it....it was shaped very similarly to the Bryston headamp...very wide and flat.
Anyway, I think you'll be in good shape with either, but since you have such a nice amp I'd prob go with the HD800s...assuming you can't audition them before purchase.post #746 of 101911/6/13 at 7:24pmpost #747 of 101911/6/13 at 7:27pmThread Starter
Nope...both are the same with regards to isolation and leakage.post #748 of 101911/6/13 at 7:32pmQuote:Originally Posted by hrbballman
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm really split between the hd800 and the t1. As of now I'm leaning towards the hd800 because it seems to be popular among more people than the t1. I will be powering whichever one I get with the SPL phonitor. I have owned the hd650 and Beyer dt880 and although I felt the hd650 was an excellent headphone and provided more resolution I prefer the dt880(but only by a hair. I thought it was more comfortable and had a deeper soundstage). What it boils down to is 2 main questions. 1. Does the t1 have a similar sound signature that is seen in the Dt line. And 2. Although more talk about how great the hd800, is the t1 on the same level as the hd800 and does the t1 offer as much resolution as the hd800. Thanks!
From my perspective it is all about the music if you listen to rock T1
acoustic and jazz HD800post #749 of 101911/7/13 at 5:44ampost #750 of 101911/7/13 at 7:57pmQuote:
If you cannot audition both cans with your phonitor then there's a lot to be said for the advice above I think. Makes sense to me even though I only briefly auditioned the T1. Of course actually listening to both and deciding for yourself is always preferable.
- HD800 and T1 musings...
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 9 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless! 15 seconds ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 30 seconds ago
- › Grado e Series 34 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 1 minute ago
- › The Centrance HiFi M8 thread 1 minute ago
- › Three Word Story 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › Bought Hifiman HE-560+Mjolnir+Gungnir - No punch, not happy 2 minutes ago
- › Pro-Ject Audio DAC Box E Entry Level DAC Black by LugBug1
- › Final Audio Design Heaven Viii by newzild
- › Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones by hodgjy
- › Shanling M3 Portable Digital Audio Player by YoYo JoKeR
- › Sennheiser Momentum Wireless Over Ear Headphones in Black M2AEBT by twister6
- › Noble 4 by Kuroneko Guy
- › Superlux HD669 by Philliphobia
- › iFi iCAN headphone amplifier by blankdisc
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by JohnPham
- › Chord&Major Major6'13 "Ballad" by kalbee
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2