- 7,392 Posts. Joined 8/2011
- Location: Chicago!
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Review: Beyerdynamic T1 vs Sennheiser HD800 Last post on 12/8/10 at 8:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- This may sound silly but... Last post on 9/4/10 at 9:29pm in Headphones (full-size)
- If you've tried both, which is more comfortable, the T1 or the HD800? Last post on 11/18/10 at 5:45pm in Headphones (full-size)
- In your opinion, at which price point do headphones provide the greatest value? Last post on 8/29/10 at 2:42am in Headphones (full-size)
- HD800 or T1 balanced? Last post on 8/16/10 at 5:18pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)Last edited: 7/25/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)Last edited: 9/13/13
My current set. My favorite and my private oasis. These beauties will cut out most if not all ambient noise like while driving in a car and household noise when the music is flowing. I became a fan...
I was asked to listen to the Musical Fidelity MF100 and received them about 4 weeks ago. I get quite a lot of headphones through my door, I only review the ones I like and I like these a lot. I...
Got the SE846 last week and did some hours of comparison with my current SE535. My bias was towards keeping them - I like flagship products as a "there is nothing better" products, i.e. do not...
So I finally broke my go to earbuds, and went searching for a replacement. I was actually so disappointed with these things that I made it a point to get out and put out a review. Bass continuously...
I was looking for closed headphones with a pricetag up to €200 that could be used without an amp. After some research and listening sessions I bought the M50x. There's really not a lot to say about...
HD800 and T1 musings... - Page 50post #736 of 9138/26/13 at 5:40am^ yes
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #737 of 9138/26/13 at 1:30pmQuote:
Everybody is entitled to his/her own opinion. To my ears they made a difference and is all what matter to me. If they don't make a difference for you, that is ok too.post #738 of 9138/26/13 at 5:46pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by Takeanidea
This thread is in danger of being derailed- let's get it back on track with something a little less controversial. In what way do the headfiers think the T1's complement the HD800? I think they are a different bass signature and they have a more closed in soundstage which makes the stereo effects stand out a little more to my ears. They are comfortable and a little more sensitive and leak less noise.
I don't really find them complimentary. I find the LCD-2 and HD800 or T1 far more complimentary.post #739 of 9138/26/13 at 8:01pmpost #740 of 9138/27/13 at 12:53amQuote:post #741 of 9138/27/13 at 1:59amQuote:
+1 I agree. I don't no about far better. But I like the T1's by a good margin over the LCD-2.2..post #742 of 9138/27/13 at 8:25ampost #743 of 91311/5/13 at 9:22pmI don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm really split between the hd800 and the t1. As of now I'm leaning towards the hd800 because it seems to be popular among more people than the t1. I will be powering whichever one I get with the SPL phonitor. I have owned the hd650 and Beyer dt880 and although I felt the hd650 was an excellent headphone and provided more resolution I prefer the dt880(but only by a hair. I thought it was more comfortable and had a deeper soundstage). What it boils down to is 2 main questions. 1. Does the t1 have a similar sound signature that is seen in the Dt line. And 2. Although more talk about how great the hd800, is the t1 on the same level as the hd800 and does the t1 offer as much resolution as the hd800. Thanks!post #744 of 91311/5/13 at 11:23pm
I own the HD-800 and the DT-880 in 600 Ohm, also auditioned the T1. To my ears and keeping in mind my musical preference (classical), the HD-800 sounded better and they're definitely more resolving than the T1. The T1 are great cans but compared to the DT-880's I found the extra cost not worth it and they're too bright in the treble for my tastes. Sound signature is the same, only a bit better on all fronts. One major caveat: the HD-800 is the only pair of Senns I own so I can't compare with e.g. the 650's.
What's certainly true with the HD-800 is that it's a bit picky as far as amps go. I drive it with a Violectric V200 and it sounds really nice but when auditioning I tried it with a Burson conductor and found that combo to be harsh and cold. Never tried the Phonitor but from what i hear it's a fine amp and pretty neutral so it should work.
Also, keep in mind that the HD800 is REALLY extremely detailed/resolving. If you listen to less than pristine recordings that's sometimes too much of a good thing as you'll start noticing all kinds of artefacts that were there but not audibly so with less detailed cans. Sometimes that's distracting. If you listen to classical music, btw, there's one pair of cans (below the 5000 USD mark, that is) that imho outshine the HD800 and those are the Hifiman HE-6 but ONLY if you have REALLY powerful amplification on hand.post #745 of 91311/6/13 at 10:39am
I found the HD800 to be excellent when I auditioned it a couple months ago, but I also found the T1s to be significantly better than the DT880. I purchased the 880s initially and wasn't crazy about them. I was somewhat apprehensive to go with the T1s based on that, but I went ahead and pulled the trigger and was very impressed. They've been one of my two favorite headphones for nearly two years now.
I found the T1s and HD800s to be more similar than different. Unfortunately I don't recall what amp it was that was being used with the HD800s, but it was a higher end Japanese product. I have a very small group of folks here on head-fi whose opinions I value and trust, and each of them have told me that the 800s scale to a larger degree than the T1s do. The amp I heard them on was somewhere around $3k, but I wish I had written down the make and model. I know I wasn't familiar with it....it was shaped very similarly to the Bryston headamp...very wide and flat.
Anyway, I think you'll be in good shape with either, but since you have such a nice amp I'd prob go with the HD800s...assuming you can't audition them before purchase.post #746 of 91311/6/13 at 7:24pmpost #747 of 91311/6/13 at 7:27pmThread Starterpost #748 of 91311/6/13 at 7:32pmQuote:Originally Posted by hrbballman
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm really split between the hd800 and the t1. As of now I'm leaning towards the hd800 because it seems to be popular among more people than the t1. I will be powering whichever one I get with the SPL phonitor. I have owned the hd650 and Beyer dt880 and although I felt the hd650 was an excellent headphone and provided more resolution I prefer the dt880(but only by a hair. I thought it was more comfortable and had a deeper soundstage). What it boils down to is 2 main questions. 1. Does the t1 have a similar sound signature that is seen in the Dt line. And 2. Although more talk about how great the hd800, is the t1 on the same level as the hd800 and does the t1 offer as much resolution as the hd800. Thanks!
From my perspective it is all about the music if you listen to rock T1
acoustic and jazz HD800post #749 of 91311/7/13 at 5:44ampost #750 of 91311/7/13 at 7:57pmQuote:
If you cannot audition both cans with your phonitor then there's a lot to be said for the advice above I think. Makes sense to me even though I only briefly auditioned the T1. Of course actually listening to both and deciding for yourself is always preferable.
- HD800 and T1 musings...
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › DT770 32ohm, Shure SRH940 or ATH-A900x? 2 seconds ago
- › Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Appreciation Thread 27 seconds ago
- › AKG K812 Pro 44 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD 6,7 & 8 DJ Appreciation thread. Opinions, reviews,... 1 minute ago
- › highly isolating IEM recommendation for helmet use? 1 minute ago
- › Fresh outta CES: The Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560 1 minute ago
- › The Xiaomi Pistons Thread 1 minute ago
- › NEW - Schiit Asgard 2 2 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › 8 years ago . . . 3 minutes ago
- › Ultimate Ears 500 by echo1284
- › Musical Fidelity MF-100 High Quality On-Ear Headphones by astroid
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by agistrilink
- › NCredible NErgy In-Ear Headphones by Monster® by tevbax
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by De_klusjesman
- › Klipsch S3M-Blue-HP In-Ear Headphone, Blue by DaddyMojo
- › Unique Melody Mentor acrylic universal/custom by svyr
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude