- 7,667 Posts. Joined 8/2011
- Location: Chicago!
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Review: Beyerdynamic T1 vs Sennheiser HD800 Last post on 12/8/10 at 8:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- This may sound silly but... Last post on 9/4/10 at 9:29pm in Headphones (full-size)
- If you've tried both, which is more comfortable, the T1 or the HD800? Last post on 11/18/10 at 5:45pm in Headphones (full-size)
- In your opinion, at which price point do headphones provide the greatest value? Last post on 8/29/10 at 2:42am in Headphones (full-size)
- HD800 or T1 balanced? Last post on 8/16/10 at 5:18pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 7/21/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 8/29/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
I am not sure how these got such rave reviews. As background I've used DBA02 Sony XBA3 prior to purchasing these. I was interested because of its double dynamic drivers. After receiving...
Disclaimer: I would like to sincerely thank Salsera and Brainwavz for providing the sample S5 for this review. For most of my audio listening “career”, I haven’t been a big fan of...
I remember browsing the ebay like many of you guys do to see what is out there in portable amplifier land and this one caught my attention because for one it looked very nice and second it...
Intro The HE-400i is the latest headphone from Hifiman. It was released recently as a replacement for the popular HE-400. This write-up will give my initial impressions of the HE-400i as well as...
There's not much that haven't been said about this amazing universal IEM so I'll try not to repeat. I bought the TG334 at Fujiya Avic...thanks to AnakChan for his strong recommendation and for...
HD800 and T1 musings... - Page 50post #736 of 9338/26/13 at 5:40am^ yes
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #737 of 9338/26/13 at 1:30pmQuote:
Everybody is entitled to his/her own opinion. To my ears they made a difference and is all what matter to me. If they don't make a difference for you, that is ok too.post #738 of 9338/26/13 at 5:46pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by Takeanidea
This thread is in danger of being derailed- let's get it back on track with something a little less controversial. In what way do the headfiers think the T1's complement the HD800? I think they are a different bass signature and they have a more closed in soundstage which makes the stereo effects stand out a little more to my ears. They are comfortable and a little more sensitive and leak less noise.
I don't really find them complimentary. I find the LCD-2 and HD800 or T1 far more complimentary.post #739 of 9338/26/13 at 8:01pmpost #740 of 9338/27/13 at 12:53amQuote:post #741 of 9338/27/13 at 1:59amQuote:
+1 I agree. I don't no about far better. But I like the T1's by a good margin over the LCD-2.2..post #742 of 9338/27/13 at 8:25ampost #743 of 93311/5/13 at 9:22pmI don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm really split between the hd800 and the t1. As of now I'm leaning towards the hd800 because it seems to be popular among more people than the t1. I will be powering whichever one I get with the SPL phonitor. I have owned the hd650 and Beyer dt880 and although I felt the hd650 was an excellent headphone and provided more resolution I prefer the dt880(but only by a hair. I thought it was more comfortable and had a deeper soundstage). What it boils down to is 2 main questions. 1. Does the t1 have a similar sound signature that is seen in the Dt line. And 2. Although more talk about how great the hd800, is the t1 on the same level as the hd800 and does the t1 offer as much resolution as the hd800. Thanks!post #744 of 93311/5/13 at 11:23pm
I own the HD-800 and the DT-880 in 600 Ohm, also auditioned the T1. To my ears and keeping in mind my musical preference (classical), the HD-800 sounded better and they're definitely more resolving than the T1. The T1 are great cans but compared to the DT-880's I found the extra cost not worth it and they're too bright in the treble for my tastes. Sound signature is the same, only a bit better on all fronts. One major caveat: the HD-800 is the only pair of Senns I own so I can't compare with e.g. the 650's.
What's certainly true with the HD-800 is that it's a bit picky as far as amps go. I drive it with a Violectric V200 and it sounds really nice but when auditioning I tried it with a Burson conductor and found that combo to be harsh and cold. Never tried the Phonitor but from what i hear it's a fine amp and pretty neutral so it should work.
Also, keep in mind that the HD800 is REALLY extremely detailed/resolving. If you listen to less than pristine recordings that's sometimes too much of a good thing as you'll start noticing all kinds of artefacts that were there but not audibly so with less detailed cans. Sometimes that's distracting. If you listen to classical music, btw, there's one pair of cans (below the 5000 USD mark, that is) that imho outshine the HD800 and those are the Hifiman HE-6 but ONLY if you have REALLY powerful amplification on hand.post #745 of 93311/6/13 at 10:39am
I found the HD800 to be excellent when I auditioned it a couple months ago, but I also found the T1s to be significantly better than the DT880. I purchased the 880s initially and wasn't crazy about them. I was somewhat apprehensive to go with the T1s based on that, but I went ahead and pulled the trigger and was very impressed. They've been one of my two favorite headphones for nearly two years now.
I found the T1s and HD800s to be more similar than different. Unfortunately I don't recall what amp it was that was being used with the HD800s, but it was a higher end Japanese product. I have a very small group of folks here on head-fi whose opinions I value and trust, and each of them have told me that the 800s scale to a larger degree than the T1s do. The amp I heard them on was somewhere around $3k, but I wish I had written down the make and model. I know I wasn't familiar with it....it was shaped very similarly to the Bryston headamp...very wide and flat.
Anyway, I think you'll be in good shape with either, but since you have such a nice amp I'd prob go with the HD800s...assuming you can't audition them before purchase.post #746 of 93311/6/13 at 7:24pmpost #747 of 93311/6/13 at 7:27pmThread Starterpost #748 of 93311/6/13 at 7:32pmQuote:Originally Posted by hrbballman
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm really split between the hd800 and the t1. As of now I'm leaning towards the hd800 because it seems to be popular among more people than the t1. I will be powering whichever one I get with the SPL phonitor. I have owned the hd650 and Beyer dt880 and although I felt the hd650 was an excellent headphone and provided more resolution I prefer the dt880(but only by a hair. I thought it was more comfortable and had a deeper soundstage). What it boils down to is 2 main questions. 1. Does the t1 have a similar sound signature that is seen in the Dt line. And 2. Although more talk about how great the hd800, is the t1 on the same level as the hd800 and does the t1 offer as much resolution as the hd800. Thanks!
From my perspective it is all about the music if you listen to rock T1
acoustic and jazz HD800post #749 of 93311/7/13 at 5:44ampost #750 of 93311/7/13 at 7:57pmQuote:
If you cannot audition both cans with your phonitor then there's a lot to be said for the advice above I think. Makes sense to me even though I only briefly auditioned the T1. Of course actually listening to both and deciding for yourself is always preferable.
- HD800 and T1 musings...
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 35 seconds ago
- › [NEW] FiiO E11K Portable Amplifier Info/News Thread (Early... 1 minute ago
- › I need help picking out a new cable for my Philips Fidelio X1... 3 minutes ago
- › Tera Player Thread - impressions, opinions, reviews , SQ. 3 minutes ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New... 4 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 4 minutes ago
- › Official Survey - What’s your personality profile? Take our quiz! 4 minutes ago
- › Fiio D5 problems 16Bit VS 24Bit 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Upgrading from ATH-M50 5 minutes ago
- › Havi B3 Pro 1 by xsuper
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by HK_sends
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by Dsnuts
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by canuckavelli
- › FitEar TO GO! 334 by Francisk
- › Logitech UE 900 by twister6
- › Resonessence Labs Concero HP by cleg
- › JDS Labs C5D by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by twister6
- › Shure SE215 by Existence
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)