Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › REVIEW: Meier Audio Concerto headphone amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

REVIEW: Meier Audio Concerto headphone amp - Page 9

post #121 of 827
The black version of the Concerto seems to have blue LEDs. How about the silver version? The 6moons preview mentions red LEDs. Does anyone know if that was only in the tested pre-series model or if that will be the standard for the silver version? Thanks!
post #122 of 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post
What Balanced Ground gets you is a VERY dark silent background. This is where the Concerto really excels. It is a very quiet amp in terms of the background - there is no audible noise at all, and yet this is due to the true noise floor of the amp, not some trickeration.

I've actually surprised myself how much I have been listening to it lately - considering I am a tube guy Been using it with the Edistion 8's - this is a really good match. I slightly prefer the T1 with tubes, but the Ed 8 is especially good with the Concerto.
I use the ED8 with the Cantate2 (balanced ground) and I agree that the noise floor is black, and the combination amp/fon produces an excellent sound.
post #123 of 827
I've just received an answer by Jan regarding the Concerto's LEDs. He confirms the black version to have blue LEDs while the silver one in fact has red. This made me change my mind and I went for the black version which hopefully will be in at Jan's by the end of next week.
post #124 of 827
Great news
post #125 of 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi2 View Post
I've just received an answer by Jan regarding the Concerto's LEDs. He confirms the black version to have blue LEDs while the silver one in fact has red. This made me change my mind and I went for the black version which hopefully will be in at Jan's by the end of next week.
Nice touch! Jan is paying attention to the little things. Alawys a good sign.

I am still in love with my Earmax Pro as my home amp because I have already invested in fine tubes but if I hadn't I would be looking at a Concerto. I am going to be first in line for the new Meier Stepdance.

Enjoy your black and blue Concerto!
post #126 of 827
I'm not sure if someone has asked you this before Skylab, but do you know if the Concerto compares favourably against the GS-1. I recently heard it and I felt it was quite obviously an improvement over my Gilmore Lite. I'm trying to pick between the Concerto and GS-1 for my DT990-600 ohm, favouring the Concerto right now because of the price and your review.
post #127 of 827
Thread Starter 
Never heard a GS-1 - sorry
post #128 of 827
Ah, sigh....

Well would you say the Concerto is the best sub 1000$ SS amp you've heard with the DT990/600?
post #129 of 827
Thread Starter 
That I have heard personally? Yes.
post #130 of 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing View Post
I'm not sure if someone has asked you this before Skylab, but do you know if the Concerto compares favourably against the GS-1. I recently heard it and I felt it was quite obviously an improvement over my Gilmore Lite. I'm trying to pick between the Concerto and GS-1 for my DT990-600 ohm, favouring the Concerto right now because of the price and your review.
The GS-1 was very high on my list, too. What kept me off was the waiting time of at least 8 weeks (more than one buyer who ordered and paid late fall even had to wait for three months).

@cooperpwc: Thanks, I'm confident I will . The stepdance looks like an excellent portable concept. However, with the fabulous sounding iriver H120 + ibasso D10 combo I'm all set now.
post #131 of 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi2 View Post
with the fabulous sounding iriver H120 + ibasso D10 combo I'm all set now.
I opened my H140 one too many times and it died. (Sigh) That's okay, I'm an iPhone guy now.

Post pics of those blue LEDs when they arrive.
post #132 of 827
Maybe someone will compare Burson Headphone Amp 160 with Meier Audio Corda Concerto? Maybe Srajan Ebaen will?
Skylab, did you heard Burson Amp?
post #133 of 827
Thread Starter 
I have not, no.
post #134 of 827
Than You for answer.
post #135 of 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by kboe View Post
Go with your heart man. AT cans sound so good with Meiers amps.
AT and Meier you say? I will have to read more into this... as I would still be very happy if my other headphones were to spontaneously combust, save my W1000X... Shes that good .

Plus, I guess I can always get the Phoenix later when I have a source to really use it with.

Anyone know if output impedance really makes much of a diff? IIRC low impedance HP go well with low impedance outputs, and vice versa... Of my remaining headphones, my HD 600 are the highest ohms, my SA5K coming in second around 70 so if I am going to buy into this synergy business, this would favor the Concerto even more?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › REVIEW: Meier Audio Concerto headphone amp