Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Who's using portable amps only for big cans?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Who's using portable amps only for big cans? - Page 2

post #16 of 45
That is a great price.. I really sometimes wish I lived in the Good ol' usa!
post #17 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjumper78 View Post
uh oh.. i cancelled the dt990 250ohm order, and ordered the 600ohm version.
i believe in pico.
sorry, but I have no idea why you did this (and without even having the pico to make the judgement), the pico is powerful for what it is, but its not magic, you cant make something out of nothing and the extra performance the 600ohm version gives is for amps that have enough juice to power them properly, this advantage will be more than cancelled out by the lack of power so it will most likely sound considerably worse than the 250 ohm version. 250ohm powered properly will always sound better than 600 ohm not powered at all. get ready for boomy bass and stuffy closed sound stage. at least all it takes to change it is to open it up and remove the 2 x 300R resistors between each terminal and replace with 2 x 125R, it'll void your warranty though.

if you had a home amp, or a more powerful portable (even the most powerful portables would be a stretch) then perhaps I would understand, but as it is i'm at a loss.

good luck
post #18 of 45
I use a Xin Macro IV with RS-1s when I am in a work area that allows leakage.
post #19 of 45
I use a Voyager at home with HD595s and my iPod. I like the convenience of being able to listen around the house, especially when ironing and washing-up!

I also use the Voyager with the DacMagic as I don't have a full-sized amp and can't afford one at the moment.
post #20 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
sorry, but I have no idea why you did this (and without even having the pico to make the judgement), the pico is powerful for what it is, but its not magic, you cant make something out of nothing and the extra performance the 600ohm version gives is for amps that have enough juice to power them properly, this advantage will be more than cancelled out by the lack of power so it will most likely sound considerably worse than the 250 ohm version. 250ohm powered properly will always sound better than 600 ohm not powered at all. get ready for boomy bass and stuffy closed sound stage. at least all it takes to change it is to open it up and remove the 2 x 300R resistors between each terminal and replace with 2 x 125R, it'll void your warranty though.

if you had a home amp, or a more powerful portable (even the most powerful portables would be a stretch) then perhaps I would understand, but as it is i'm at a loss.

good luck
Actually, 600 ohm don't that much juice as people take them for.

I have tried running both my beyer dt880/250ohm and DT990/600 on the the 200-300ohm gain switch of my amp.

both volumes at normal listening sessions seemed almost identical. The 990/600ohm(underpowered) sounded better than my properly amped dt880/250. I don't get no boomy/bloated or whatsoever bass. Everything was intact and tight, it just wasn't driven properly to unleash the 990's true potential.

Then when i switched the amp's gain setting for 300-600ohm headphones, magic happened

I was also a skeptical to the whole "600ohm theory"---- not anymore tho
post #21 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by moogman View Post
I use a Voyager at home with HD595s and my iPod. I like the convenience of being able to listen around the house, especially when ironing and washing-up!

I also use the Voyager with the DacMagic as I don't have a full-sized amp and can't afford one at the moment.
I envy the fact that you know how to use an IRON lol.
post #22 of 45
As a Grado enthusiast, I have no problem using a high quality portable to push the tunes. I'm sure that if I had more demanding headphones I would feel differently....
post #23 of 45
in just a few days ill be upgrading from a behringer ha400 (about $40) to a decware zen head portable amp. regardless of desktop or portable, this seemed like the best bet in the $350 price range. I was considering a little dot or a starving student, or a ibasso raptor, but the zen head still seemed like a better amp in the price range and since its also portable i went for it. Those "portable" k.i.c.a.s. amps also seem great though i guess theyre really not portable, just small. I really cant wait for my zen head...
post #24 of 45
My pico and dx-hp1000 works well; but those headphones are easy to drive. Either-way nothing beats my cheap tube desktop (with cheap non-stock tubes) arrangement; not even a pico.
post #25 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
sorry, but I have no idea why you did this (and without even having the pico to make the judgement), the pico is powerful for what it is, but its not magic, you cant make something out of nothing and the extra performance the 600ohm version gives is for amps that have enough juice to power them properly, this advantage will be more than cancelled out by the lack of power so it will most likely sound considerably worse than the 250 ohm version. 250ohm powered properly will always sound better than 600 ohm not powered at all. get ready for boomy bass and stuffy closed sound stage. at least all it takes to change it is to open it up and remove the 2 x 300R resistors between each terminal and replace with 2 x 125R, it'll void your warranty though.

if you had a home amp, or a more powerful portable (even the most powerful portables would be a stretch) then perhaps I would understand, but as it is i'm at a loss.

good luck
thanks for your input. i totally understand what youre saying.
however, like i said earlier, i liked the sound of hd650 driven by headsix. dt990 250ohm was even easier to be driven by portable amps in my experience.
that is why i am going to try the dt990 600ohm and pico combo. if it does not work out, i can always sell either (or both) and try something else.
i am a little worried to be honest but i think it'll be ok.
post #26 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infoseeker View Post
Either-way nothing beats my cheap tube desktop (with cheap non-stock tubes) arrangement; not even a pico.
It's funny that I do the same thing with the K701's plugged into a Bravo tube amp. There's something really nice about the sound that has me creeping back to it and feeling guilty 'cos I didn't use one of my posh amps!!

Ian
post #27 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjumper78 View Post
thanks for your input. i totally understand what youre saying.
however, like i said earlier, i liked the sound of hd650 driven by headsix. dt990 250ohm was even easier to be driven by portable amps in my experience.
that is why i am going to try the dt990 600ohm and pico combo. if it does not work out, i can always sell either (or both) and try something else.
i am a little worried to be honest but i think it'll be ok.
don't be worried.

you made a great choice ! The 600ohm are supposed the best of the DT990 line-up as i have heard the 250/32ohm having bloated and boomy bass.

trust in BEYERDYNAMIC)))) and they will trust you too !

XD

i would also like to hear your impressions on these cans !
post #28 of 45
I use my LD MK I + with my HD650 from time to time. Sounds nice!
post #29 of 45
Has anyone actually tried a "pico PORTABLE HEADPHONE AMP" with AKG 701's? I am using a Nuforce uDac --> Miniwattt with headphone adapter to drive them on my desk system but would like something more portable.
If anyone has experience with this combo (pico and 701) I would appreciate any feedback.
_____________
Headphones: E2C's, HD 280, AKG 701
Amps: uDac, icon mobile, CMoy BB v2.02, and MiniWatt w/ tube upgrade via AOL.
post #30 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjumper78 View Post
thanks for your input. i totally understand what youre saying.
however, like i said earlier, i liked the sound of hd650 driven by headsix. dt990 250ohm was even easier to be driven by portable amps in my experience.
that is why i am going to try the dt990 600ohm and pico combo. if it does not work out, i can always sell either (or both) and try something else.
i am a little worried to be honest but i think it'll be ok.
well put it this way, I just recabled shigzeo's 600R DT880 and while they were here I used them with my FiQuest. the FiQuest had enough juice to do a reasonable job while getting a decent volume too and controlling the bass, but only just and that was in the highest gain position 12 or 15 times gain which puts out up to 1.4W into 8 ohms. that is so much more powerful than the pico its not funny. that was plugged into the PSU, so running on 24VDC., though i'm sure it woukld do fine on the battery at 18vdc as well.

I just cant see the advantage of making something harder to drive when you only have a limited resource and have a perfectly acceptable option that isnt so hard.

I wish you luck
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Who's using portable amps only for big cans?