Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Three for Three: Earsonics SM3 Triple Driver Monitor
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Three for Three: Earsonics SM3 Triple Driver Monitor - Page 3

post #31 of 55
Thread Starter 
I'm really looking forward to these
post #32 of 55
Will do it soon, I wish I had the pico slim for this.... Im still very surprised of what Im listening, proving that two many drivers isnt proportional to quality....
post #33 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by kite7 View Post
Not to mention a universal fit besting one of the best customs. I'm not saying it's impossible, but rather unlikely then again I haven't heard either so who am I to say?
The EM3-pro is a custom. The SM3 is the universal. Seem we might be taking an unintentional switch from the thread's title phone.

MayaTlab saying the SM2 could use more speed and separation puts me off of these though. If the SM3 fix that and they can be had at a decent price, maybe.
post #34 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jant71 View Post
The EM3-pro is a custom. The SM3 is the universal. Seem we might be taking an unintentional switch from the thread's title phone.

MayaTlab saying the SM2 could use more speed and separation puts me off of these though. If the SM3 fix that and they can be had at a decent price, maybe.
The official webpage mentions that the SM3 are supposed to have "More ventilation and a wider sound image, with more tense low frequencies and treble with incredible finesse. All this with the strict neutrality faithful to EarSonics".

That makes me frankly interested, since they're likely to be UM3x with increased musicality.

The price seems very well targeted within the European Union (same as UM3x), but probably off the "decency scale" in Northern America.

The SM2 were already excellent (qualitatively on par with IE8 and W3, though clearly targeted at different users), these SM3 should be a really nice pair of earphones.
post #35 of 55
Thread Starter 
I'm thinking these might be the new benchmark for universals. Just cause the Sm2 was that impressive matching up at the top despite being "inferior" in materials. Now that they have three drivers, which means more potential. I'm sure these will be extremely impressive.
post #36 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaoDi View Post
I'm thinking these might be the new benchmark for universals. Just cause the Sm2 was that impressive matching up at the top despite being "inferior" in materials. Now that they have three drivers, which means more potential. I'm sure these will be extremely impressive.
Indeed they might. The SM2 were already at the top of the universal game, but with obvious flaws as well. If the SM3 correct these, the UM3x will have an extremely tough competitor in the "neutral IEM" kind of category : a more involving sound, better soundstage, etc.

It is still unclear though if they're a three drivers / three way IEM. Earsonics high end customs, the EM3-pro, are a three drivers / two way IEM (though it doesn't really mean anything at all regarding sound quality).
post #37 of 55
Thread Starter 
well it clearly says in the promo on the page that's it three drivers three way
post #38 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaoDi View Post
well it clearly says in the promo on the page that's it three drivers three way
Shame on me. My mistake .

It is then very likely that Earsonics will soon release a new high end custom.
post #39 of 55
Thread Starter 
That was what i was thinking...but i don't think so...i think they're just going to skip with a 3 driver 3-way for customs, and go straight for a 4 in the far future.
post #40 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaoDi View Post
That was what i was thinking...but i don't think so...i think they're just going to skip with a 3 driver 3-way for customs, and go straight for a 4 in the far future.
I think the Idea of more drivers=better sound is ridiculous. Although its a great marketing plot. I sincerely hope they dont fall in that race, 3drivers is enough! Everytime I listen to my EM3pro's or my Kharma's with only 2 drivers, I am reminded of that.
post #41 of 55
With more drivers?

I'm not too sure about that. Look at their line up: the EM1-Fi (just released recently) spec's is roughly the same as the EM2-PRO, but the former is 326,10€ HT while the latter is 618,73€ HT.

Hah, guess they are not succumbed into this driver-war madness. Really looking forward to GuyDeBord review's. The EM3-pro is very likely to be my next custom

(at least, I don't have to worry about "t3h new br3akthrough: xx more drivers!")

Edit:@ GuyDeBord, are the pins of the EM3-pro cable the same as those of JH or UE or any US brand?.. THX
post #42 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilney View Post
Edit:@ GuyDeBord, are the pins of the EM3-pro cable the same as those of JH or UE or any US brand?.. THX
See for yourself.... I promise I will take better pictures....
post #43 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyDebord View Post
I think the Idea of more drivers=better sound is ridiculous. Although its a great marketing plot. I sincerely hope they dont fall in that race, 3drivers is enough! Everytime I listen to my EM3pro's or my Kharma's with only 2 drivers, I am reminded of that.
Agreed. Reminds me of the megapixel increase in digital cameras, rarely related to an actual increase in resolution.

However, if Earsonics decided to create a three way three drivers IEM, it's for a reason : they must have met some difficulties in improving a two way design. So if increasing the number of drivers is not a guaranty for better SQ, it definitely helps if used correctly.

The Westone 3 / UM3x comparisons can actually illustrate this : I'm not particularly convinced by the three way design of the W3 (I did not find them particularly more detailed than other phones, such as the dynamic driver IE8s or even properly amped SM2), but to my ears the UM3x, in terms of details and instrument separation, are a step better (of course it does not mean they're better in every way).

By the way, i've seen you have the EM3-pro and the JH13. Just out of curiosity (since I don't intend to buy customs), do you still use the EM3-pro ? How would they compare ?
post #44 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayaTlab View Post
By the way, i've seen you have the EM3-pro and the JH13. Just out of curiosity (since I don't intend to buy customs), do you still use the EM3-pro ? How would they compare ?
Actually, Im not using the JH13's since I got the EM3pro's. Im liking them more, unbelievable but true to my ears.... stay tuned....
post #45 of 55
has anyone confirmed if their stuff is or is not related in some way to westone?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Three for Three: Earsonics SM3 Triple Driver Monitor