or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio Technica ATH-W5000 headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio Technica ATH-W5000 headphones - Page 9

post #121 of 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikroski View Post
 

Just want to know is it ok, if I purchase ATH-W5000 and use it with FiiO X3 player (no additional amp). Does W5000 require a lot of power to drive?

 

I listen to 70% vocal, 30% jazz.

 

Thanks for any input

 

They tend to be picky with amps, but the only way to know here is to try. Fiio X3 have a decent headphone output, 

 

Have you considered another headphone for your portable setup? 

post #122 of 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwess View Post
 

 

They tend to be picky with amps, but the only way to know here is to try. Fiio X3 have a decent headphone output, 

 

Have you considered another headphone for your portable setup? 


If not W5000, I will keep using my ATH-W1000X. The reason why I interest in W5000 is many people said that it very good for female voice and that what I want. :)

 

Anyhow, I'm a lazy guy. Just need one phone and one player to walk around. Never want to use neither portable nor desktop amp.

post #123 of 285

May be I keep on using my W1000X, it's already good for Alison Krauss, Celtic Woman, Eva Cassidy, etc.

 

But if W5000 is an improvement, I do need it. :duggfloat:

post #124 of 285
Um, the W5000 is in no way portable, due to its light clamp and the 3D-wing system. If you walk around they'll slide right off. Also they're big and heavy.
post #125 of 285
They're big, somewhat heavy, and not that secure on your head (they can slip off). They are home headphones.

And man now that I'm finally listening to my T5p with orchestral recordings it's starting to really kick the W5000 where it hurts...
post #126 of 285

I agree they are really meant for home use since the cable is quite long on them but, as for the weight, I don't see it being an issue.  I feel like they're one of the lighter over the ear headphones out there.  Compared to the HE-500 they're super light.  I would say on par with the HD-650 in terms of weight.  I actually have both the x3 and w5000 but I've never tried using them together but, I'll let you know once I try...I just need to buy an adapter to fit it to the x3.  

 

I'm using the w5000 right now as my work set up with a creek audio amp and audio engine dac and it sounds pretty good.

post #127 of 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by FYL941 View Post

 

Compared to the HE-500 they're super light.  I would say on par with the HD-650 in terms of weight.

 

 You're comparing them to Ortho's?!? I got neck pain from using the HE500 for about two weeks and had to sell them. Most open-headphones are under 300g... the W5000 is 340g?

post #128 of 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by FYL941 View Post
 

I agree they are really meant for home use since the cable is quite long on them but, as for the weight, I don't see it being an issue.  I feel like they're one of the lighter over the ear headphones out there.  Compared to the HE-500 they're super light.  I would say on par with the HD-650 in terms of weight.  I actually have both the x3 and w5000 but I've never tried using them together but, I'll let you know once I try...I just need to buy an adapter to fit it to the x3.  

 

I'm using the w5000 right now as my work set up with a creek audio amp and audio engine dac and it sounds pretty good.

LOL, I am not bold enough to bring them to work, and using them in a portable setup is totally out of question, plus 3d wings make my hair look fancy. :biggrin:

post #129 of 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by FYL941 View Post
 

I agree they are really meant for home use since the cable is quite long on them but, as for the weight, I don't see it being an issue.  I feel like they're one of the lighter over the ear headphones out there.  Compared to the HE-500 they're super light.  I would say on par with the HD-650 in terms of weight.  I actually have both the x3 and w5000 but I've never tried using them together but, I'll let you know once I try...I just need to buy an adapter to fit it to the x3.  

 

I'm using the w5000 right now as my work set up with a creek audio amp and audio engine dac and it sounds pretty good.

When you can find adapter to 3.5 mm. Please kindly let me know the result of X3 + W5000. I almost pull the trigger to order it from amazon.

 

Thanks in advance :)

post #130 of 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikroski View Post
 

When you can find adapter to 3.5 mm. Please kindly let me know the result of X3 + W5000. I almost pull the trigger to order it from amazon.

 

Thanks in advance :)

I used to have W5000. Tried with a few amps, DACs and cables - they were not to my taste, tiring after short listen, lacked bass. I sold them. You can get better headphones at the price nowadays. So unless you like W5000's presentation of vocals very very much and you listen at moderately low volumes, I would go for another headphone.


Edited by korzena - 1/23/14 at 5:52am
post #131 of 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by korzena View Post
 

I used to have W5000. Tried with a few amps, DACs and cables - they were not to my taste, tiring after short listen, lacked bass. I sold them. You can get better headphones at the price nowadays. So unless you like W5000's presentation of vocals very very much and you listen at moderately low volumes, I would go for another headphone.


Thanks, I listen to female vocal mostly. If you can recommend any phone that has sweet mid, details in high (but not harsh), I'm very appreciate. price range from 300$ to 800$

post #132 of 285
Haha yeah, he-500's are heavier than a mofo but they're my first pair of orthos and didn't know what to expect but having said that they sound great!
post #133 of 285
Amy idea where's the cheapest place to get these? They look gorgeous!
post #134 of 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanlamin View Post

Amy idea where's the cheapest place to get these? They look gorgeous!

 

Yes. Amazon.co.jp and delivered here through Tenso.

 

Total cost is just under $700.

 

You won't find it cheaper in the United States, unless you buy used.

post #135 of 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by korzena View Post
 
 

I used to have W5000. Tried with a few amps, DACs and cables - they were not to my taste, tiring after short listen, lacked bass. I sold them. You can get better headphones at the price nowadays. So unless you like W5000's presentation of vocals very very much and you listen at moderately low volumes, I would go for another headphone.

Fit and amping are two things that are finicky and hard to get right with those.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio Technica ATH-W5000 headphones