Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › shure scl4 vs. Klipsch X5 anyone?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

shure scl4 vs. Klipsch X5 anyone?

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
I swear i searched but nothing on these. big fan of the shures but don't know about the x5? Source would just be my apple macbook pro or iphone or shuffle 2g gen. thanks guys! youre the best!
post #2 of 18
Klipsch X5 are seems to be better because they shows more details in mids and highs with great bass extention.
post #3 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord of volume View Post
I swear i searched but nothing on these. big fan of the shures but don't know about the x5? Source would just be my apple macbook pro or iphone or shuffle 2g gen. thanks guys! youre the best!
The x5s are very nice. I almost bought a pair but then The HJE900s went on sale. Great headphones for sure. Any pair of shures I ever listened to were too cold. The x5s have good separation, mids, isolation, and clear bass. The bass is nice, definitely not as excessive as some bass-head phones but it's got enough. If you listen to trance, metal, or hip hop you won't be disappointed.
post #4 of 18
Thread Starter 
I have the X1 and its impressive very comfortable the shures are comfy as well, just thought of going up a notch to see whats there, since I workout with the X1 and want a better set for sleeping and immersing myself in sonic landscapes. woooooo
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord of volume View Post
I have the X1 and its impressive very comfortable the shures are comfy as well, just thought of going up a notch to see whats there, since I workout with the X1 and want a better set for sleeping and immersing myself in sonic landscapes. woooooo
did you say sleeping? I'm not sure how durable these are. So if you toss and turn and yank on the cable they may not be for you. I think they may fare better than some of the other klipsch models though, but I don't have any testing on the matter so I really shouldn't be commenting.

Oh and read up on the HJE900s they are $110 bucks at J&R(which is a steal) may not be for everyone until they calm down(burn in) and you mod them.
post #6 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinobi00 View Post
did you say sleeping? I'm not sure how durable these are. So if you toss and turn and yank on the cable they may not be for you. I think they may fare better than some of the other klipsch models though, but I don't have any testing on the matter so I really shouldn't be commenting.
this could be true. hmmmmm. must ponder on that one. thanks didn't think of that one at all.

I love this place, it makes me poor but man its fun.
post #7 of 18
Wow you are responding too fast, read my edits. HJEs are durable as hell, have replaceable cables and have the same kind of sound. But they don't isolate as well.
Here are some threads:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/g...-bucks-465398/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/p...n-stax-465975/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/h...y-away-377961/
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord of volume View Post
I have the X1 and its impressive very comfortable the shures are comfy as well, just thought of going up a notch to see whats there, since I workout with the X1 and want a better set for sleeping and immersing myself in sonic landscapes. woooooo
X5s do have good bass extension, detail and warm mids, dont think you could sleep in them, they tend to stick out horizontally too much.
I use my RE0s for that, they are very flush in the ear.
Wearing a bike helmet the X5s, no way, RE0s easy.
X5s are a very comfy fit though, so if you dont roll over you might be alright.
post #9 of 18
I have the X5's. I had the SCL4's for awhile before selling them.

The sound signatures of these two are similar. I like them both. But the X5 is more comfortable, and the sound of the X5 is a little smoother -- I'd say just slightly more warm, but not lacking in high end either.
post #10 of 18
I had the E4c which is basically the same as SCL4. I was not impressed or satisfied. I was almost satisfied when I got the E5c. Is there a certain type of music that you will be listening to?
post #11 of 18
Thread Starter 
most hard rock, tool, janes addiction, alice in chains, red hot chilipeppers.
post #12 of 18
I've had both.

The SCL4's will have better mids & mid-bass, more durable, but possibly less comfortable. They can be worn over-ear for me, which is a plus.

The X5's will have much more high-end treble, somewhat recessed mids in comparison to the shure's. Slightly more bass than the SCL4, (but only slightly-more). For me, I couldnt wear them over-ear because of the style (HUGE minus for me...) as a result, more microphonics w/ the X5. Cable also appears less durable than the Shure cable.

While the X5 will have more sparkle, for me, SCL4 is better. I'm probably in the minority though.
post #13 of 18
Thread Starter 
hmmmm i listen to hard rock like tool, janes addiction, red hot chili peppers, Nine Inch Nails.
post #14 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleewach View Post
I've had both.

The SCL4's will have better mids & mid-bass, more durable, but possibly less comfortable. They can be worn over-ear for me, which is a plus.

The X5's will have much more high-end treble, somewhat recessed mids in comparison to the shure's. Slightly more bass than the SCL4, (but only slightly-more). For me, I couldnt wear them over-ear because of the style (HUGE minus for me...) as a result, more microphonics w/ the X5. Cable also appears less durable than the Shure cable.

While the X5 will have more sparkle, for me, SCL4 is better. I'm probably in the minority though.

so would your outcome be because of the durability of the Shure over the Klipsch?
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord of volume View Post
so would your outcome be because of the durability of the Shure over the Klipsch?
not necessarily the durability (never had problems w/ the Klipsch's, they just appear less durable,) but rather the fit, and sound to a certain degree.

I am completely hooked on wearing iems' over the ears, and though I try enjoying iems w/ cords down, they always feel less secure in the ear, and microphonics always suffer.

I say sound to a certain degree because I prefer the mids & mid-bass of the scl4's and found them generally less fatiguing than the X5's. If I'm in the mood for more treble, the X5's have it. I guess I'm just saying that the SCL4's are smoother to my ears.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › shure scl4 vs. Klipsch X5 anyone?