Thanks for the advise. I think before I get help from Ryan, I will try to roll back to other tube, swapping other opamps and even try the SS RCA out to filter the possible causes.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- DAC advice requested! Last post on 8/27/10 at 3:48pm in Dedicated Source Components
- looking for some information about DAC/Amp combis Last post on 8/23/12 at 4:26am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Help choosing a versatile amp/dac! Last post on 7/9/12 at 2:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- What do I need to buy to have an audiophile setup????? Last post on 7/21/11 at 4:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Teach a noob how it works... Last post on 3/21/11 at 7:56am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
DISCLAIMER The Empire Ears Zeus-R was purchased during my trip to the Empire Ears office at Buford, Georgia. The Empire Ears team have since moved their operations to their newer and larger...
When I first started looking for a pair of CIEMs, I was determined to find the best one in the $1000 region that would serve me equally well for everyday listening as well as stage use (I play in a...
Hi Head-Fi’ers! I’ve waited quite a bit long to use SuperMini and obtain its possible rival players at the same time (like Sony A15 and the new A35). I came across SuperMini a few months ago,...
Introduction Sennheiser HD800S is the successor to HD800 - one of the greatest headphones ever made. HD800 was the first headphone to actually WOW me hard...
Hello fellow head-fi members Welcome to the review of Advanced Evo X Sports Wireless In-ear Monitors. Disclaimer This were a sample provided by Advanced team for my review. I am not...
Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 (DAC/Amp) - Condensed FAQ and Info Thread - Page 49post #721 of 7755/22/14 at 8:03pm
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #722 of 7755/22/14 at 8:15pmpost #723 of 7755/23/14 at 7:26am
Just some updates on some diagnostic actions taken so far
1. Tube rolled back to stock one, with stocks opamps, still having noisy sound and weak bass on CD-in but fine on other inputs, so not the problem with tube and opamps. This was done with CDP coaxial out and notebook foobar2k over usb to matrix then line out to D1's both line in and analog in, then both SS and tube out to the amp
2. CDP to D1 (no matrix dac) via analog/line in, no luck still have that noise in CD-in input but lesser than having matrix dac in between. However, using coaxial or usb to get digital signal from sources CD-in has NO noise at all.
So i suspect is the line and analog in of D1 causing the noise, but why it only happened on CD-in but not on other inputs? I then try to look for any ratings differences on the inputs from my yamaha amp service manual, i think i found the reason why CD-in produce noise, this is mainly due to the design of yamaha amp (correct me if i am wrong), the CD-in do not share the same circuit board with other inputs, it has dedicated board with some opamps soldered there at which yamaha claims to reproduce or amplified more details from the source signal (if i read it correctly) and hence it amplified the noise from D1 which might be from the analog in, this might explain why other inputs have so such noise.
Now, back to the analog in, how do i ascertain that it is truely having noise which only an input of any amp having the so called better sounding can detect it. (ps i am not saying my yamaha amp is superior but in fact it capture the noise)post #724 of 7756/11/14 at 2:50ampost #725 of 7756/11/14 at 11:05ampost #726 of 7759/19/14 at 11:38ampost #727 of 7759/20/14 at 6:21am
First off let me say I have never tried Mad Dogs with either of my two systems, a Maverick D1 or Maverick D2 DAC/Schiit Magni combo (my current setup).
Based on your post, my assumption is that you have the straight "Mad Dogs", and not the "Alpha Dogs". If so (and my assumption is you have the units based on the Fostek T20/40/50RP) then the impedance is 50Ohms. That being the case, then the Maverick D1 is more than adequate to drive the Mad Dogs. Hope this helps.post #728 of 7759/30/14 at 12:44pmpost #729 of 77510/1/14 at 3:23ampost #730 of 77510/1/14 at 7:37am
First off, I never auditioned the DT990 Pro with the Maverick Audio D1.....so I cannot relate to you a personal listening experience.
The most common DT990 Pro cans have a 250 Ohm impedence, some older units were also a available in 32 Ohm and 600 Ohm versions I believe. The Maverick D1 has the following published power output: 32 Ohm 1000MW, 300 Ohm 500MW, and 600 Ohm 300MW. so it sounds as if the D1 would work very well with the DT990s.....in fact Byerdynamic's own A2 and A20 headphone amps have these power outputs 100 mW 600Ω,170 mW 250Ω,150 mW 32Ω. I do understand that ability to drive a certain resistance is not the only way to measure an amp, I surmise that the D1 would drive the 990s to deafening levels without distortion.
Before purchasing though, I would contact Ryan at Maverick to get his take on the pairing....I found him to be responsive, helpful, and honest in his responses back to me; one more reason I purchased two units from his company (D1 and D2 DAC). You can contact him at http://www.mav-audio.com/base/product/ask-questions or email@example.com.
Please keep us updated on your progress.post #731 of 77510/2/14 at 7:53pm
Thanks to everybody for the dedication in making a better world for good audio enthusiasts.
My question is:
I read on the beginning of the thread that the DAC section inputs downsamples everything to 16bit 48MHz. Does the D1 PlusEdition still suffer from this? Thank you in advance for your replies!post #732 of 77510/2/14 at 9:15pm
Sweetsuicides, I believe the following is true.....if not please correct me.
The D1 and D1 Plus "upsample" not "downsample".
The standard D1 handles 24bit/96khz data in native mode as long as the input is via the coax or optical digital connections, USB input is 16bit/48khz,,,,,,anything other than that will be upsampled to 24bit/96khz I believe.
The D1 Plus handles 24bit/196khz in native via the coax or optical digital input, and will upsample lesser input to 196khz, USB input is 24bit/96khz.post #733 of 77510/3/14 at 5:49ampost #734 of 77511/4/14 at 11:19pmpost #735 of 7752/20/15 at 8:45amQuote:Originally Posted by Sorbus
I'm considering D1 as my first DAC / headphone amp. Am I correct thinking that I could use the knob to control my active speaker's volume with basic model's knob, not with the plus version? Could I connect my KRK's to the tube out with rca-xlr or should I use the normal out?
Sorry for the dumb questions, I'm new with these things.
After you place the order you'll get a conformation email and you can reply to that email with any special requests.
I took that opportunity to requested that my TubeMagic D1+ be configured so that the volume control knob controls RCA output in addition to headphone output. Ryan from Mav-audio replied back and said that he would do that for me :)
I am using it with a set of Audio Engine A2 powered speakers on the tube pre-out. They (the A2) do have a volume knob but its located on the back of the speaker.
The sound is really nice. A2 never sounded better.
- Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 (DAC/Amp) - Condensed FAQ and Info Thread
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers... 10 seconds ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 53 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 1 minute ago
- › Audio-GD Singularity 19 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 3 minutes ago
- › LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 4 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX200 Firmware Modification Project 4 minutes ago
- › Focal Elear - Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion 6 minutes ago
- › Empire Ears Zeus by ejong7
- › Cosmic Ears CE6P by fluffyberry
- › HIFIMAN SuperMini High-Res Portable Player by tenedosian
- › Sennheiser HD 800 S by Dobrescu George
- › ADV.Sound EVO X by gprs007
- › Westone W80 Eight-Driver System with Dual Bass, Dual Mid, and Quad... by Koolpep
- › JDS Labs Assembled Objective2 Headphone Amplifier by SoundApprentice
- › AUNE M1S 32BIT/384KHZ DSD128 3.5MM/2.5MM BALANCED HIFI AUDIOPHILE... by glassmonkey
- › JDS Labs OL DAC by SoundApprentice
- › Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 with 7.1 Surround Sound by jimtree
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear