Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 (DAC/Amp) - Condensed FAQ and Info Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 (DAC/Amp) - Condensed FAQ and Info Thread - Page 41

post #601 of 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by uelover View Post



Try to let the D1 run in for 200 hours more and at the same time, use some isolation cones at the bottom of the D1. They will make a big difference.

 

Ok thanks.  Any suggestions on where and which isolation cones to buy?
 

 

post #602 of 725
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by uelover View Post



Try to let the D1 run in for 200 hours more and at the same time, use some isolation cones at the bottom of the D1. They will make a big difference.



I thought this voodoo was just for mechanical things like a turntable?

post #603 of 725

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Spanky_ View Post

I thought this voodoo was just for mechanical things like a turntable?


It works with anything with micro vibration (the tube and the PSU inside D1). I bought my cones for less than USD20. Doesn't hurt to try.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtwill54 View Post

Ok thanks.  Any suggestions on where and which isolation cones to buy?


You may want to google around? I bought it from a local shop in my country.

 

post #604 of 725
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by uelover View Post

 


It works with anything with micro vibration (the tube and the PSU inside D1). I bought my cones for less than USD20. Doesn't hurt to try.
 

 

Ok, the tube I can understand. I actually remember something about microphonics and small wires moving and whatnot in the tube. But... the PSU? It's a hunk of metal, how is that affected?

post #605 of 725

The D1 has rubber feet. It does not need more rubber feet.

 

Besides, the 2C51/5670 tube is sturdy little tube. It's a small and dense without a lot of wiggle room for microphonics.

 

Not saying it's not possible, but it's not likely with the D1 already dampening with it's rubber feet and with the tube being within the unit away from exposure. 

post #606 of 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtwill54 View Post

After listening to my current setup, I noticed the vocals don't seem to have the same sound stage as the music and not as clear as I would like.  I'm currently using the GE5670 tube and stock opamps.  I have (1) LT1364 and (2) LM4562NA opamps sitting in a box.  Any suggestions on which opamps or tube to switch out that might improve the vocals? 

 

Do you use your D1 as a headphone amp or do you have an amp connected to the D1 from the tube-out?

 

If you are using the D1 as your amp then you aren't even using the tube. The headphone out on the D1 is solid state only, so invest in some opamps to roll and decide what sounds best to you.
 

 

post #607 of 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Spanky_ View Post

 

Ok, the tube I can understand. I actually remember something about microphonics and small wires moving and whatnot in the tube. But... the PSU? It's a hunk of metal, how is that affected?



I typed wrongly while I was in a hurry. It is not cones. It is spikes that I am using with spike feets.

 

Spiking the D1 was a piece of advice given to me by another audiophile. He demonstrated to me the difference with and without the wooden spikes at his place. The difference is quite huge on his speakers set up. He was using the GE5670 tubes with the stock opamps.

 

I am not trying to explain the mechanics behind the spiking but am just sharing my experience here with other head-fiers who also own the D1.

 

Feel free to try it or trash it. Doesn't hurt me in either way, but it may help whoever that are trying to maximize the D1's potential through cheap diy tweaks.

post #608 of 725
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uelover View Post



I typed wrongly while I was in a hurry. It is not cones. It is spikes that I am using with spike feets.

 

Spiking the D1 was a piece of advice given to me by another audiophile. He demonstrated to me the difference with and without the wooden spikes at his place. The difference is quite huge on his speakers set up. He was using the GE5670 tubes with the stock opamps.

 

I am not trying to explain the mechanics behind the spiking but am just sharing my experience here with other head-fiers who also own the D1.

 

Feel free to try it or trash it. Doesn't hurt me in either way, but it may help whoever that are trying to maximize the D1's potential through cheap diy tweaks.



Is it for minor vibrations within the unit or it's stand? I've been curious to try but chalked it up as voodoo and never wanted to spend $$ on it. I don't think I could put some on my power amp or DAC right now as it all fits on my desk nicely and I couldn't deal with the extra height. But, I have my 2 heavy speakers on my desk plus a monitor and I would think with all the weight, any vibrations would go away rather quickly.

post #609 of 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Spanky_ View Post


Is it for minor vibrations within the unit or it's stand? I've been curious to try but chalked it up as voodoo and never wanted to spend $$ on it. I don't think I could put some on my power amp or DAC right now as it all fits on my desk nicely and I couldn't deal with the extra height. But, I have my 2 heavy speakers on my desk plus a monitor and I would think with all the weight, any vibrations would go away rather quickly.


Spikes are used to control vibrations from within the unit itself as well as to isolate mechanical vibrations from the table/desk to the DAC.

 

I didn't believe spikes will make a different until someone demonstrated to me right in my face. It was then that I went to grab some cheap ones.

 

Won't your heavy speakers contribute much more to the vibration??

 

post #610 of 725

uelover,

I think I've found some inexpensive isolation cones (Vibrapod) that I'm going to give a try.  I'm ordering them sometime today and I'll post back on the results.  I'm always willing to give something a try.

post #611 of 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtwill54 View Post

uelover,

I think I've found some inexpensive isolation cones (Vibrapod) that I'm going to give a try.  I'm ordering them sometime today and I'll post back on the results.  I'm always willing to give something a try.



Vibrapod inexpensive??? I have read good things about them but they just cost too much.

 

I hope that they will give you the results you are looking for =)

post #612 of 725
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by uelover View Post

 

Won't your heavy speakers contribute much more to the vibration??

 


Doesn't it take more energy to move more mass? Vibrations should deaden out when you apply more rigidity and mass to the vibrating entity. I'm not sure how spikes help on hard surfaces unless they're rubber. I think dampening means more than less surface area in contact. I can totally see how spikes would help with speakers/subwoofers sitting on a carpet though.

post #613 of 725

Yeah, I'm calling voodoo on the spikes for the D1. Especially if the D1 is being used as the amp (it's all solid state circuitry!)

 

Plus, it already has rubber feet.

post #614 of 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Spanky_ View Post


Doesn't it take more energy to move more mass? Vibrations should deaden out when you apply more rigidity and mass to the vibrating entity. I'm not sure how spikes help on hard surfaces unless they're rubber. I think dampening means more than less surface area in contact. I can totally see how spikes would help with speakers/subwoofers sitting on a carpet though.



I mean, speakers themselves are a much major source of vibration than the D1. I don't know if you meant that you place your speakers on the same desk alongside the D1 or if your speaker is floorstanding. If they are on the same desk, the speakers, when playing, are pushing all the mechanical vibration via the table onto the D1.

 

I don't know the physical mechanics as to why spike works on the D1 so I won't try to provide a theory here because it is meaningless. Some amount of googling may help here.

 

I believe that increasing the mass/density of the D1 will help. So will placing the D1 on a separate rack. But the main purpose of using spikes is to curtail the vibration from within the D1 that I and not to isolate it from external vibration because placing the D1 somewhere else is a much cheaper solution.

 

I do disagree that spikes will not do well on hard surface. When used on carpets or hard ground, people will tend to use the spike alongside spike feets. Also, people who place spikes on their CD players or Amplifiers place their components on 'audiophile racks' (I don't know if they really make any difference compared to normal racks) which are hard surfaces as well.

 

Anyway, I am derailing. =)


Edited by uelover - 1/7/12 at 5:10pm
post #615 of 725
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uelover View Post



I mean, speakers themselves are a much major source of vibration than the D1. I don't know if you meant that you place your speakers on the same desk alongside the D1 or if your speaker is floorstanding. If they are on the same desk, the speakers, when playing, are pushing all the mechanical vibration via the table onto the D1.

 

I don't know the physical mechanics as to why spike works on the D1 so I won't try to provide a theory here because it is meaningless. Some amount of googling may help here.

 

I believe that increasing the mass/density of the D1 will help. So will placing the D1 on a separate rack. But the main purpose of using spikes is to curtail the vibration from within the D1 that I and not to isolate it from external vibration because placing the D1 somewhere else is a much cheaper solution.

 

I do disagree that spikes will not do well on hard surface. When used on carpets or hard ground, people will tend to use the spike alongside spike feets. Also, people who place spikes on their CD players or Amplifiers place their components on 'audiophile racks' (I don't know if they really make any difference compared to normal racks) which are hard surfaces as well.

 

Anyway, I am derailing. =)



I guess it didn't occur to me that speakers produce vibrations :P Such an obvious thing hehe. But yea, I have my power amp, monitor, DAC (no longer the D1) and 2 speakers on my desk as they all fit together nicely. Here's an old picture:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/464376/website/computer/v9/DSCF0056.JPG

Now, the DAC sits on the power amp next to my monitor... Anyway, I personally don't notice any ill-effects. I mean, I have absolutely no noise at all, even cranking the volume.

 

I think any improvement from spikes on the D1 could be due to the tube or quite possibly the R-Core transformer since those have weird and high amounts of RF.

 

One could spend hundreds on racks and spikes and brackets or you could spend it on a nice piece of equipment. I'm willing to lay down cash money to say that putting the money into equipment will mean more of a boost in audio quality :) Although, I must admit, I bought some rubber feet for my speakers, but that's because I didn't want to scratch the beautiful walnut on the bottom.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 (DAC/Amp) - Condensed FAQ and Info Thread