Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › HELP--Rockbox a 240gb ipod
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HELP--Rockbox a 240gb ipod

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
I have a lot of my music saved in FLAC but cannot play it on my ipod. I bought one of the 240gb ipods but they aren't officially supported by rockbox. There is a thread(s) in their forum about this and people seem to have had success. I've not had their luck. I have tried it a dozen times using both the 32 and 64 files and I always get the "unrecognized file size" (or something like that). If i reset it, the apple logo comes up and then it gives me the same message. I have to put it into disk mode and restore to get it functional in any way.

I searched here but theres not a whole lot. Has someone done this that can help guide me through it? is there a guide that I missed in my googling?

Thanks

Edit: FOrgot to mention it is a 5g video
post #2 of 18
How about posting a link to the mentioned thread(s), or ask specific questions in those threads?
post #3 of 18
Thread Starter 
The forums on the rockbox website are not trafficed nearly as much as head-fi. Somone posted a very similar issue in the mentioned threads but that was about a month ago and it has not been answered. I'll post a link when I get access to a computer---it's a pain on an iphone
post #4 of 18
Thread Starter 
post #5 of 18
So you downloaded the corresponding package matching your iPod (32MB or 64MB). Then installed the bootloader using ipodpatcher.exe, and last step installed Rockbox itself (ipod 5G 64Mb root dir/ = .rockbox/).

The first step is crucial -> Choosing the right package. You say you have tried both, but I would rather just pick the right one...
post #6 of 18
Thread Starter 
I never used them both simultaneously.

I first tried the 32 and the code ran and said complee but when the ipod rebooted, I got the error

I restored it through itunes (having first put it into disk mode)

I then tried the 64 with the same result
post #7 of 18
Hi, did you manage to solve the problem? I recently purchased a damaged 80gb ipod and turned it into a 240gb version. I'm using the 64mb version (3.4 build). I had a little trouble like you at first but I got it working eventually.

Here is a quick step-by-step which should help you.

1 - You need to connect your ipod via usb so it can be recognised in windows as a disk drive.
2 - Download the rar file (I think you will need the 64mb version)
3 - Extract the 2 files within to your desktop.
4 - Go into the extracted file named "bootloader for BigHDD ipodVideo 5G 64Mb" and run the following file "ipodpatcher.exe" when prompted press "I" for install let it finish and the press enter to close the exe.
5 - Immediately after this in the same folder as above, run the following file "run this to set boot" press any key when prompted to, let this finish and then exist the exe.
6 - Now go into the second folder extracted from the rar file named "ipod 5G 64Mb root dir" and copy the file and folder as they are to the root directory of your ipod.
7 - Remove the usb from the ipod and hard reset.

Fingers crossed and that should then load you straight into rockbox.

Let me know if you still can't get it to work.
Regards
Steph
post #8 of 18
I just did the upgrade, and followed your directions -- worked very well!

I do have a couple of problems though. Transferring files is extremely slow, and not only that, but it looks like the battery doesn't charge.

Booting into normal iPod mode fixes the problems and allows me to transfer at normal speed and charge, but I'm just wondering if my experience is different from others.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph86 View Post
Hi, did you manage to solve the problem? I recently purchased a damaged 80gb ipod and turned it into a 240gb version. I'm using the 64mb version (3.4 build). I had a little trouble like you at first but I got it working eventually.

Here is a quick step-by-step which should help you.

1 - You need to connect your ipod via usb so it can be recognised in windows as a disk drive.
2 - Download the rar file (I think you will need the 64mb version)
3 - Extract the 2 files within to your desktop.
4 - Go into the extracted file named "bootloader for BigHDD ipodVideo 5G 64Mb" and run the following file "ipodpatcher.exe" when prompted press "I" for install let it finish and the press enter to close the exe.
5 - Immediately after this in the same folder as above, run the following file "run this to set boot" press any key when prompted to, let this finish and then exist the exe.
6 - Now go into the second folder extracted from the rar file named "ipod 5G 64Mb root dir" and copy the file and folder as they are to the root directory of your ipod.
7 - Remove the usb from the ipod and hard reset.

Fingers crossed and that should then load you straight into rockbox.

Let me know if you still can't get it to work.
Regards
Steph
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedyun View Post
I just did the upgrade, and followed your directions -- worked very well!

I do have a couple of problems though. Transferring files is extremely slow, and not only that, but it looks like the battery doesn't charge.

Booting into normal iPod mode fixes the problems and allows me to transfer at normal speed and charge, but I'm just wondering if my experience is different from others.

Hi,

What are the speeds for transferring your getting? What theme are you using? The battery sign doesn't always show a flashing increase. The sign will just change to a plug. If your in the wps screen it should show you the percentage battery remaining depending on what theme your using, and that should go up.
post #10 of 18
I didn't really measure the speed. I would guess that I transferred about 4 GB in about 2.5 h. I don't think I have a theme selected, so it must be the stock one (yellow and black)

With the battery, it was nearly full when I started the transfer, then after 2.5 hr (plugged into the USB), I unplugged it, and it was almost empty.

So it sounds like it is working fine for you then?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph86 View Post
Hi,

What are the speeds for transferring your getting? What theme are you using? The battery sign doesn't always show a flashing increase. The sign will just change to a plug. If your in the wps screen it should show you the percentage battery remaining depending on what theme your using, and that should go up.
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedyun View Post
I didn't really measure the speed. I would guess that I transferred about 4 GB in about 2.5 h. I don't think I have a theme selected, so it must be the stock one (yellow and black)

With the battery, it was nearly full when I started the transfer, then after 2.5 hr (plugged into the USB), I unplugged it, and it was almost empty.

So it sounds like it is working fine for you then?

Yeah that transfer speed doesn't sound correct to me. If you have vista or windows 7, when transferring files there is a little arrow pointing downwards on the transfer box, if you press that it tells you your transfer speed. I average between 5-7mb/s. You may need a new battery for your ipod, they only last a couple of years. What I have noticed, when transferring large amounts of data, the hard drive is spinning constantly which means your battery is going to drain fast. With regards to the transfer speed try installing rockbox again, if it happens again post over at the rockbox forums because I do remember someone else complaining about slow transfer speeds, but from memory I recall it was with version 4.2, what version did you install?

The battery sign should never actually show it's charing (i.e moving) the icon next to it just changes to a plug sign. There may be a theme out there which has been configured to do so, but I haven't come across one yet.
post #12 of 18
Thanks for the advice -- the little "plug" icon does come on, so I guess the transfer must drain the battery faster than it can charge.

I will look in the rockbox forums for a similar issue with the transfer speed. My version is the one in the thread that was linked a few messages up, so I think it is a modified 3.4


Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph86 View Post
Yeah that transfer speed doesn't sound correct to me. If you have vista or windows 7, when transferring files there is a little arrow pointing downwards on the transfer box, if you press that it tells you your transfer speed. I average between 5-7mb/s. You may need a new battery for your ipod, they only last a couple of years. What I have noticed, when transferring large amounts of data, the hard drive is spinning constantly which means your battery is going to drain fast. With regards to the transfer speed try installing rockbox again, if it happens again post over at the rockbox forums because I do remember someone else complaining about slow transfer speeds, but from memory I recall it was with version 4.2, what version did you install?

The battery sign should never actually show it's charing (i.e moving) the icon next to it just changes to a plug sign. There may be a theme out there which has been configured to do so, but I haven't come across one yet.
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedyun View Post
Thanks for the advice -- the little "plug" icon does come on, so I guess the transfer must drain the battery faster than it can charge.

I will look in the rockbox forums for a similar issue with the transfer speed. My version is the one in the thread that was linked a few messages up, so I think it is a modified 3.4
No worries, my pleasure,

Just make sure it is the 3.4 version your using, as there were 2 links above.
post #14 of 18

Hello guys,

 

I just bought new 240 gb hard drive for my old Ipod classic (the last gen). I need a solution to make it work.
For now rockbox is working, but all tracks skipped immediately. Maybe you know a solution for this?
By the way I read previous posts, but my ipod version is (7th gen, thin version), so I don't know if previous solution will help me too.

 

Thank you in advance for your help and cooperative.

post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubAse View Post
 

Hello guys,

 

I just bought new 240 gb hard drive for my old Ipod classic (the last gen). I need a solution to make it work.
For now rockbox is working, but all tracks skipped immediately. Maybe you know a solution for this?
By the way I read previous posts, but my ipod version is (7th gen, thin version), so I don't know if previous solution will help me too.

 

Thank you in advance for your help and cooperative.


It is most likely caused by hard drive sector size mismatch. In rockbox, system->debug->diskinfo, check for disk size, total sectors and sector size information, you might be able to identify something abnormal If possible please post a screen dump of the above info here.

 

Problem should have been solved in my rockbox build, try install this version of emcore:  http://beyondwind.duckdns.org/downloads/installer-ipodclassic.ubi , reformat your HDD in emcore, and you should be fine.

 

To clarify, the above is for iPod Classic.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › HELP--Rockbox a 240gb ipod