or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › REVIEW (in progress) - Nuforce HDP 24/96 USB-Optical 24/192 Coax DAC Preamp and Headphone Amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

REVIEW (in progress) - Nuforce HDP 24/96 USB-Optical 24/192 Coax DAC Preamp and Headphone Amp - Page 111

post #1651 of 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonl View Post
 


The DAC in DAC-10H is similar to IDA-16, but it is not like we remove the amp and then packaged it as a DAC.  A lot of work has gone into improving the performance for preamp, lower the noise, power supply, and headphone amp. If you have a high-end speaker and headphones, then it is worth getting DAC-10H with ST-10.

 

Thanks for posting, Jason

 

I have no speakers and never was interested in them, I am currently using speaker amp Krell KAV-400xi with HE-6, recently had a chance to try IDA-16, at my home for few hrs. However I was able to audition only the amp section, as dac driver did not install on my Win8 laptop :confused_face_2:

 

I really did like IDA-16 as amp, transparency was awesome. I am not keen on other headphones, if I get IDA-16, will using only with HE-6 directly from speaker tabs. 

As I will be using IDA-16 only with HE-6 do you suggest IDA-16 or ST-10.

post #1652 of 1663


In that case IDA-16 is suitable for you.   Oh, we updated the USB driver (version 4.20) so it should work for Windows 8.1 now.  

Reply
post #1653 of 1663

I would be curious to see how the HE-6 pairs with the IDA or ST-10. I used to power my HE-6 from an STA-100 and did a mini-shootout between it and a couple other small desktop amps: http://www.head-fi.org/t/666077/

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonl View Post
 


In that case IDA-16 is suitable for you.   Oh, we updated the USB driver (version 4.20) so it should work for Windows 8.1 now.  

post #1654 of 1663
If you want to power headphone with speaker amp, wait for the IDA-8 $995 by end of May. It is going to be shockingly good. I seldom don't use such description, may be never.
Reply
post #1655 of 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonl View Post

If you want to power headphone with speaker amp, wait for the IDA-8 $995 by end of May. It is going to be shockingly good. I seldom don't use such description, may be never.

 

Thanks a lot, for suggestion, I will wait for IDA-8, already big fan of NuPrime after hearing IDA-16. I was not able to find info on IDA-8 features on web, one last question, will it be an integrated amp or power amp?

post #1656 of 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post
 

I would be curious to see how the HE-6 pairs with the IDA or ST-10. I used to power my HE-6 from an STA-100 and did a mini-shootout between it and a couple other small desktop amps: http://www.head-fi.org/t/666077/

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonl View Post
 


In that case IDA-16 is suitable for you.   Oh, we updated the USB driver (version 4.20) so it should work for Windows 8.1 now.  

 

I found IDA-16 big step up from Krell KAV-400xi. However I was able to try it only for 15-20 mins or so.

 

Edit: other amp I was able to try was I32 integrated amplifier from Primare, it was not impressive. IDA-16 has amazing transparency.


Edited by musicinmymind - 4/25/15 at 12:58pm
post #1657 of 1663

My current big amp is a NAD C390dd but I'm not sure if it meshes they way I want in my system (also way too big for my table). I just recently had a guy offer a Krell 400xi in trade but I'm not sure if I want to take it. I'm curious about the NuPrime options though.

post #1658 of 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post
 

My current big amp is a NAD C390dd but I'm not sure if it meshes they way I want in my system (also way too big for my table). I just recently had a guy offer a Krell 400xi in trade but I'm not sure if I want to take it. I'm curious about the NuPrime options though.

 

Krell is really good believe me, if not for that nasty 50Hz frequency lock I would have never replaced it. My job requires me to travel a lot, sometimes more than 6 months at a stretch. As my office takes care of travel exp, I take all my gears along (away from family more time for hobby :dt880smile:) but Krell frequency lock is a deal breaker, does not even allow me to use it with stepdown transform. 

 

I am looking for something more portable, powerful without losing class. NuPrime looks very interesting, there are other options, but I really liked the sound from IDA-16. Not saying it was more refined from top to bottom, over Krell, transparency was top notch. While I agree the IDA-16 is more articulate it is also a little bit colder sounding, bass on the IDA-16 is tighter too, but 400xi's slightly looser bass as I think it allows the HE-6 to "let go" a bit more. 

 

Overall IDA-16 was a big step up from Krell, but Krell is not a bad deal with HE-6 at all. Both drive HE-6 with authority.

post #1659 of 1663

Now what I want is something with that kind of authority, but maybe the size of a textbook.

post #1660 of 1663

I can't resist but to spill a little bit about IDA-8 (only a month away from shipping and who's reading this thread anyway :)):

IDA-16 has the transparency, details, speed and power - everything you would expect from NuPrime (formerly NuForce high-end). Our new generation of Class D amps are already switching at 600+ kHz, so refined that you can't tell that it is a class D amp anymore.  

For IDA-8 we want to try something new - lets push the limit.  We combined a pure class A input stage ("Ultra Linear Class A Module") with a Class-D power stage design and created a different beast. 

The end result is a high-end class A sound signature with the speed and dynamic of a top end Class D design.  THD+N of 0.0015% and SNR -135dB tell only part of what we have accomplished.

If you are interested in finding out more, sign up for the NuPrime newsletter from the website (contact page).  

Reply
post #1661 of 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonl View Post
 

I can't resist but to spill a little bit about IDA-8 (only a month away from shipping and who's reading this thread anyway :)):

IDA-16 has the transparency, details, speed and power - everything you would expect from NuPrime (formerly NuForce high-end). Our new generation of Class D amps are already switching at 600+ kHz, so refined that you can't tell that it is a class D amp anymore.  

For IDA-8 we want to try something new - lets push the limit.  We combined a pure class A input stage ("Ultra Linear Class A Module") with a Class-D power stage design and created a different beast. 

The end result is a high-end class A sound signature with the speed and dynamic of a top end Class D design.  THD+N of 0.0015% and SNR -135dB tell only part of what we have accomplished.

If you are interested in finding out more, sign up for the NuPrime newsletter from the website (contact page).  

 

Thanks for more details, so we can expect IDA-8 to overcome traditional Class D limitations like dryness on higher frequencies and less rich harmonics, while maintain their core strengths (tremendous control on speakers, strong pace). It should be very interesting offer, count me for first batch customer pls.

 

Thanks again, will subscribe for newsletter. 

post #1662 of 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonl View Post
 

 

I am now leading NuPrime Audio and Celsus Sound.  Please visit Celus Sound (www.celsus-sound.com) Venetian #29-116 when you are at CES.

I will be at room #29-322 (www.nuprimeaudio.com) or #29-116.

The Celsus Companion One is a portable DAC (PCM 384, DSD128), headphone amp and WiFi audio streamer (24/192) all in one. 

Its performance is much better than HDP.


Man if I had a dollar every time someone in this industry said a more expensive product would be "much better" than another Id be a wealthy man. The awesome thing about the HDP was that it was great and only cost around $275 on the open market. You just suggested a $600 replacement with no real history in the industry and costing over twice as much. Thanks. Think Ill just look for a used HDP.

post #1663 of 1663

You have a point there. But I can speak with authority about the products mentioned because they were all "developed" by me (co-founded NuForce).  I was deeply involved in the development of every products at NuForce and Icon HDP was a product that we were very proud of.  Some people spend as much as $100 on a nice dinner for two, so is it worth it to pay more for something with more features and sounding better is obviously subjective. Sure, a used HDP at half the price could be value for money to some people.  What I stated about the sound quality of Companion One remains true.

NuPrime uDSD at $179 is even better value for money, if all you need us USB audio powered by computer. I can also state that uDSD is equivalent to HDP's sound quality in another thread and a customer who owned HDP and uDAC who is now reviewing uDSD agreed with my assessment. 

These products are all my "babies".  But over the years R&D team gain experience, found better ways to improve the circuits, and with newer chips, obviously we can make newer products sounding better. 

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › REVIEW (in progress) - Nuforce HDP 24/96 USB-Optical 24/192 Coax DAC Preamp and Headphone Amp