or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › REVIEW (in progress) - Nuforce HDP 24/96 USB-Optical 24/192 Coax DAC Preamp and Headphone Amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

REVIEW (in progress) - Nuforce HDP 24/96 USB-Optical 24/192 Coax DAC Preamp and Headphone Amp - Page 109

post #1621 of 1663
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

In my wacky rig of the HDP + Icon2 speaker amp + nuforce LPS power supply into the HE-6, I find it a slight step up from the Dacmini PX. On the other hand, that is now a 3 box system (4 if you count my adapter box), as opposed to the single box solution of the Dacmini PX.

Overall I did not find the upgraded power supply with the HDP a *huge* improvement, but synergy as a whole combined with the Icon2 made a more noticeable impact.

It's the internal headphone amp that steps up the most with the PSU upgrade, but the DAC's RCA out is already a step up from the built-in amp and doesn't improve as much. There's less need for improvement when used as a DAC or pre-amp.
post #1622 of 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post


It's the internal headphone amp that steps up the most with the PSU upgrade, but the DAC's RCA out is already a step up from the built-in amp and doesn't improve as much. There's less need for improvement when used as a DAC or pre-amp.

 

Yeah, I'd concur with that. The biggest difference I noticed with the PSU upgrade was in the Icon2's performance from the speaker taps to the HE-6. Actually, the HE-6 from the HDP headphone output isn't all that bad either. For low level listening it's surprisingly capable.

post #1623 of 1663

Is it HDP out of production?

post #1624 of 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldighieri View Post
 

Is it HDP out of production?

Discontinued:

 

https://www.nuforce.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&layout=category&task=category&id=426&Itemid=2738

post #1625 of 1663


Thank you. maybe something new on the go...

post #1626 of 1663

It was replaced with the Icon DAC. Annoyingly, the Icon DAC doesn't use the same power input as the HDP. I would have been tempted if it could mate with my Nuforce LPS power supply.

post #1627 of 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

It was replaced with the Icon DAC. Annoyingly, the Icon DAC doesn't use the same power input as the HDP. I would have been tempted if it could mate with my Nuforce LPS power supply.

+1 ... I'm in the same boat. Where is Jason Lim when we need him cool.gif
post #1628 of 1663
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutsch View Post


+1 ... I'm in the same boat. Where is Jason Lim when we need him cool.gif

He co-founded Nuforce and has now moved on to develop other audio companies, like Encore Audio.

 

The strange part if the Icon DAC doesn't really "need" the upgraded PSU as much as the HDP did.  Sure, it might benefit from one, but it's pretty nice on it's own.

post #1629 of 1663

Many new next generation products are coming in the next two months. 

Jason

Reply
post #1630 of 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonl View Post
 

Many new next generation products are coming in the next two months. 

Jason


Great news, Jason.  I/we will eagerly await upcoming product announcements.

post #1631 of 1663

Anything on display at CES for NuForce?  
 

Also, with regards to my Icon HDP: what's the proper volume to leave the Icon HDP at when using it as a DAC only?  I've had it at about 75% (3 o'clock), but don't know if turning it to max would affect the sound in any way.  When using it as a Dac + Amp, I feel like highs would get louder and sharper when turned past 4 o'clock.


Edited by ajreynol - 1/5/15 at 8:27pm
post #1632 of 1663

Huh, discontinued huh? Ill have to make sure I check them out at CES when I get there. I kinda wish I hadnt gotten rid of my HDP, I liked the way it sounded with my Denon AH-D5000s.

post #1633 of 1663

Nuforce kinda doesn't exist anymore. Their upper line was bought out and now carried under a new name: NuPrime. The rest of their company is now owned by Optoma, a company that makes projectors. It says on their website they'll continue some of the audio stuff, but beyond that I have no idea what's going on with the company anymore.

post #1634 of 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajreynol View Post
 

Anything on display at CES for NuForce?  
 

Also, with regards to my Icon HDP: what's the proper volume to leave the Icon HDP at when using it as a DAC only?  I've had it at about 75% (3 o'clock), but don't know if turning it to max would affect the sound in any way.  When using it as a Dac + Amp, I feel like highs would get louder and sharper when turned past 4 o'clock.


I've read from the manual or FAQ the 2 o'clock is the magic position.

 

I'm sad to see NuForce gone...

post #1635 of 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutsch View Post
 


I've read from the manual or FAQ the 2 o'clock is the magic position.

 

I'm sad to see NuForce gone...

Bless you, sir!

 

I always wondered.  That answers my question.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › REVIEW (in progress) - Nuforce HDP 24/96 USB-Optical 24/192 Coax DAC Preamp and Headphone Amp