Interesting find, glad you got it working though
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAudiotagged by System, 7/13/10
- categoryDACstagged by System, 6/14/10
- categoryFiber Optic Cablestagged by System, 6/14/10
- productNuForce Icon HDP (High-end Headphone Amp, USB DAC, Preamp)tagged by System, 6/14/10
- topicUsb Audiotagged by System, 6/14/10
Related Forum Threads
- WWYD - Turntable or DAC? Last post on 10/13/10 at 10:57pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Need a USB DAC recommendation (for Axiom Audiobyes) Last post on 6/16/10 at 6:40pm in Computer Audio
- db Audio Labs Tranquility DAC Last post on 9/1/12 at 4:06am in Dedicated Source Components
- Replacement DAC section for NuForce Icon HDP? Last post on 5/3/13 at 9:39pm in Computer Audio
- Do I need a sound card? Last post on 2/13/14 at 4:25pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
INTRODUCTION: I would like to thank @Jack Vang of Empire Ears, for the discount on my purchase of the Zeus-XIV-ADEL Custom IEM and for giving me the opportunity to review the IEM. I would also...
This is by far the closest I have come to writing a 5 star review. Of course to get that, I would have to find the holy grail of headphones for me. I had tried the HD558, HD598, HD650, and...
Used Schiit Modi & Magni with car sim racing game with Sennheiser HD 598 headphones. Unfortunately, Modi died after 2+ years. Thought warranty was 5 years but found out the hard way it's only 2...
These are *fantastic* for the price. Compared side by side to some old Sennheiser MX500s, that cost at least 4x as much, the Monk+ absolutely wipes the floor - they are hugely superior. Warm...
Acknowledgment Thanks, @Andykong at Cayin, and @Takeanidea for organizing the UK wing of the worldwide extravaganza of i5 tour. It is always an honour to work with great companies and dear...
REVIEW (in progress) - Nuforce HDP 24/96 USB-Optical 24/192 Coax DAC Preamp and Headphone Amp - Page 104post #1546 of 16702/22/13 at 8:45pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1547 of 16702/22/13 at 9:47pmQuote:Originally Posted by radiojam
Funny you should mention this. I have three USB 2.0 ports, and I actually did try switching to another port and got the same problem. So I (hastily) eliminated that as a possibility. But just for the hell of it I tried the third port, and so far so good!... fingers crossed.
One interesting thing I noticed: with the first two ports, the DAC was recognized instantly as "Nuforce Icon HD" which is what showed in my sound properties. On the third port it actually didn't recognize the DAC at first and eventually showed up as "USB Audio Device"/"Default Device". So I'm not sure if it's a USB problem or perhaps a Windows driver problem. In any event I hope it stays fixed.
Not all the usb ports on a computer will necessarily run off the same internal bus, hence there may be differences between them. Sometimes splitting devices across different usb busses will also help reduce noise, such as clicking/pops heard from mice and especially external portable hard drives.post #1548 of 16702/24/13 at 10:13amQuote:If youre going to upgrade the power supply, build a Sigma 11.
Where can I get some info/skematics of this Sigma 11 power supply ?? : I am familiar with building power supplies, so maybe I will build one.
Thankspost #1549 of 16702/24/13 at 10:17ampost #1550 of 16702/24/13 at 11:05ampost #1551 of 16702/24/13 at 11:07amQuote:Originally Posted by gPope
FWIW, the Nuforce LPS-1 is on sale right now: http://estore.nuforce.com/15v-linear-power-supply/
On the other hand, it says that this product is not currently available. :(post #1552 of 16702/24/13 at 11:18ampost #1553 of 16702/24/13 at 4:04pmpost #1554 of 16702/24/13 at 5:37pmpost #1555 of 16702/24/13 at 8:56pm
There are a few people who build them and sell them prebuilt, and they are still about $100 less than the LPS-1.post #1556 of 16702/24/13 at 9:54pm
*shrug* and you can find them even cheaper used. Or I've seen them go for over $400. Depends who makes them, quality of build, the casework, etc.
I've built several of them myself... but for the aesthetics and casework and time involved, I'm still running my gear off my LPS.post #1557 of 16702/26/13 at 11:24amQuote:
For what reason would you need the LPS-2U-96k as opposed to the LPS-1? I am running my HDP with an S/PDIF input if that helps...post #1558 of 16702/26/13 at 12:23pm
The upgraded unit has two outputs (one at 4A and the other at 1A), so I use the 4A for the speaker amp and the 1A for the HDP.
I also use the usb-spdif bridge to feed my HDP, and when evaluating other dacs I can feed simulteously to two dacs (such as when I was reviewing the DAC-100 vs Bifrost). The bridge also helps isolate from computer/ground noise, as my laptop does not have the best performance there.post #1559 of 16702/26/13 at 12:45pm
Will the LPS make an impact on the HDP if it is only being used as a DAC? Also will this impact be worth the asking price of the LPS plus the selling price of the HDP? My current setup has the HDP outputting to a bottlehead Crack and I feel a new DAC is appropriate but I don't want to dump money into an LPS if it is a marginal upgrade, when I could take that money, sell the HDP and get something like the gungir for a little more money.post #1560 of 16702/26/13 at 1:14pm
I think there's a slight improvement, but very very small for the dollar invested. I'd spend some money on a Speedball upgrade instead. The gungnir doesn't really make sense unless you have a balanced amp as well.
- REVIEW (in progress) - Nuforce HDP 24/96 USB-Optical 24/192 Coax DAC Preamp and Headphone Amp
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review 4 seconds ago
- › Astell&Kern AK T8iE MkⅡ(Impressions and discussions thread) 8 seconds ago
- › Colorfly C10 - Colorfly Is Back! 2 minutes ago
- › Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Cypherus Audio Products Discussion Thread: CampFred Earbuds, QFred... 4 minutes ago
- › Luxury and Precision - Crowdfunding Promotion on the L3 Digital... 5 minutes ago
- › JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 6 minutes ago
- › 1964 Ears Adel IEMs 6 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing... 7 minutes ago
- › Empire Ears Zeus by EagleWings
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by snapacap
- › Schiit Modi by Tim Updegrove
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by spronkey
- › Cayin i5 by glassmonkey
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by 00lunar
- › 64 Audio U12 Universal In-Ear Monitor by cleg
- › qdc Balanced armature type (BA type) 3SH （QDC-4024） by prismstorm
- › Sangdo Headset Mic for Sony MH EX300AP L36H L36I C6603 LT26II LT28H... by Griffith
- › Denon AH-D600 by theminstrel
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear