I'm playing a 24/88.2 right now just fine...
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAudiotagged by System, 7/13/10
- categoryDACstagged by System, 6/14/10
- categoryFiber Optic Cablestagged by System, 6/14/10
- productNuForce Icon HDP (High-end Headphone Amp, USB DAC, Preamp)tagged by System, 6/14/10
- topicUsb Audiotagged by System, 6/14/10
Related Forum Threads
- WWYD - Turntable or DAC? Last post on 10/13/10 at 10:57pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Need a USB DAC recommendation (for Axiom Audiobyes) Last post on 6/16/10 at 6:40pm in Computer Audio
- db Audio Labs Tranquility DAC Last post on 9/1/12 at 4:06am in Dedicated Source Components
- Replacement DAC section for NuForce Icon HDP? Last post on 5/3/13 at 9:39pm in Computer Audio
- Do I need a sound card? Last post on 2/13/14 at 4:25pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
I have had 2 pairs and both have stopped working, these aren't professional headphones and I'd stay away from them if you want to keep them longer than a year of professional use. Spend your...
just want to order one and will try the reviews once get it FBA seems be fast waiting
I have 50 hours active listening and another 150 passive/occasional on these. Equipment: Ragnarok, Gungnir, Sony CD 5 CD tray, Senn HD-600 set up for balanced Listen to Yes ('15 Remix,...
At the time this review was written the FLC 8S was listed for sale on Amazon and Musicteck’s website. Here are links for more information and purchase....
The review you are about to read is very personal and contains details some might find boring or unimportant. You have been warned. My personal search for a great headphone began with a love...
REVIEW (in progress) - Nuforce HDP 24/96 USB-Optical 24/192 Coax DAC Preamp and Headphone Amp - Page 103post #1531 of 16702/14/13 at 10:13pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1532 of 16702/15/13 at 6:29ampost #1533 of 16702/15/13 at 6:32am
NuForce claims that through USB, 88.2kHz is not supported. I don't know if it downsamples to 44.1kHz or not. With either the coaxial or optical S/PDIF connections, this sample rate appears to be supported.
I suppose it depends on what connection you are using.post #1534 of 16702/15/13 at 10:16ampost #1535 of 16702/15/13 at 10:17ampost #1536 of 16702/17/13 at 7:40am
As mentionned a few pages back, my usb-fed HDP is hissing rather nastily when connected to my lovely Atoll amp. I was wondering : since I have a Fiio E10 lying around unused, would using is as a USB - Coxial converter solve my issue ? Or would it further degrade the sound along the way ?post #1537 of 16702/17/13 at 9:13ampost #1538 of 16702/17/13 at 10:33am
"It doesn't hurt to try"
No, but it does mean shopping for a coaxial cable. While that might not be prohibitively expensive, I'd rather spare the time and money if it doesn't solve my problem, which the nuforce staff did think a ground loop issue when I got in touch with them.post #1539 of 16702/18/13 at 11:37am
I'm having kind of a unique problem with my Icon HD, although I'm not exactly sure if it's a problem with the HD itself. The arrival of my HD coincided with a project I've been undertaking to rip all of my CDs to my PC. I've been doing this pretty much whenever I have free time at the computer, and I also happen to listen to music while I'm doing this ripping. After some time with amp on (maybe a few hours), I start to notice a slight digital "scratchiness" sound to my music. If I let it go on long enough, it descends into a digital noise abyss that makes my collection sound like it's coming out from the bottom of a digital ocean.
The problem is FIXED if I unplug the USB and plug it back in, so I'm guessing it has something to do with how the computer assigns resources to the amp vs. the CD ripping. Could this problem be caused by some sort of "memory hog" (not sure if that's the right term) from the CD ripping? I've tried google searching to see if there's any kind of setting I can change to prevent the USB audio from degrading but can't find anything. Has anyone else experienced this problem?post #1540 of 16702/18/13 at 1:41pm
That sounds like a pretty good guess. I've had similar kinds of problems when trying to do too many tasks. There's memory bog down and usb driver errors. It could also be related to a power issue, as a spinning cd drive can eat up a lot of power. So does ripping for that matter.
What program are you using to rip? You might want to be careful that trying to do too much while ripping isn't messing with the quality of your rips.post #1541 of 16702/18/13 at 8:44pm
I'm using Exact Audio Copy and I've been relying on the "all tracks accurately ripped"/"no errors" to ensure everything went as it should. I hope that's good enough! I have a pretty good PC and don't do much while I'm ripping except listening to music.post #1542 of 16702/20/13 at 6:47pm
hmm.. I think I definitely have a problem. I just tried leaving the amp on for a few hours without doing anything on the PC, and when I came back to it the sound still had that distortion. Guess I'll email Nuforce.post #1543 of 16702/21/13 at 3:39pm
I explained my problem in detail to Nuforce and received this response:
Sometimes a ground loop condition can form in the USB bus, which normally, symptomatically is resolved with the uDAC as you describe. Often times with the uDAC using a powered USB hub can resolve this issue. This typically doesn't happen with the HD, or HDP, but you can go ahead and try this and it might fix it.
Does this make sense? I did some investigating on "ground loops" and it appears that sound is more like a hum or a buzz. This sound is nothing like that, it's like a digital or robotic distortion. I searched for powered USB hubs and they are $25+ so I don't want to waste my time and money getting a powered USB hub if this has nothing to do with my problem.post #1544 of 16702/22/13 at 6:30ampost #1545 of 16702/22/13 at 8:43pmQuote:
Funny you should mention this. I have three USB 2.0 ports, and I actually did try switching to another port and got the same problem. So I (hastily) eliminated that as a possibility. But just for the hell of it I tried the third port, and so far so good!... fingers crossed.
One interesting thing I noticed: with the first two ports, the DAC was recognized instantly as "Nuforce Icon HD" which is what showed in my sound properties. On the third port it actually didn't recognize the DAC at first and eventually showed up as "USB Audio Device"/"Default Device". So I'm not sure if it's a USB problem or perhaps a Windows driver problem. In any event I hope it stays fixed.
- REVIEW (in progress) - Nuforce HDP 24/96 USB-Optical 24/192 Coax DAC Preamp and Headphone Amp
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing... 5 seconds ago
- › The custom art Harmony 8.2 European demo tour 37 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 1 minute ago
- › CanJam SoCal 2017 (April 8-9, 2017) 1 minute ago
- › Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro 1 minute ago
- › Overcome double amping? 2 minutes ago
- › The Stax Thread III 2 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 2 minutes ago
- › Fidelizer appreciation and impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Shure SRH840 by Russell Folland
- › Seahf Metal Housing In-Ear Earbuds Headphones Noise Cancelling... by Byran
- › Fostex TH500RP by bagwell359
- › FLC Technology FLC 8S by Hisoundfi
- › Meze 99 Classics by dany111777
- › SONY Walkman A series NW-A35 (R) (16GB) (Sina bar Red) by meringo
- › Custom Art Harmony 8.2 by Ike1985
- › AUNE M1S 32BIT/384KHZ DSD128 3.5MM/2.5MM BALANCED HIFI AUDIOPHILE... by Hypespazm
- › Fischer Audio Totem Paco by B9Scrambler
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Cs by peaches
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear