Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Windows 7 Device Icons for DACs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Windows 7 Device Icons for DACs

post #1 of 70
Thread Starter 
Windows 7 allows you to configure your audio devices to have a custom icon. I converted a picture of the Nuforce uDAC into an ICO file and set it as the icon for the device. Does anyone else do this, or am I the only one who's obsessive-compulsive about this?



To configure a custom icon, right-click on the volume control icon in the notification area, click "Playback devices", select the device, click "Properties", and then "Change icon".

If you are inspired to create an icon for your DAC, post it in this thread!

The free image editing program Paint.NET can save in ICO format using this plug-in. GIMP (also free, and open source) can handle them natively.

UPDATE 01-FEB-10

Here are all the DACs I have created icons for so far, bundled with larrywild's red NuForce uDAC icon:



Included: Apogee Electronics Mini-DAC, Behringer MS40, Benchmark DAC1 USB, Cambridge Audio DacMagic, Creative Xmod, DAC-19MK3, E-MU 0202, E-MU 0404, Firestone Spitfire, FUBAR II, FUBAR III, Headamp Pico (From a drawing by Edwood), HeadRoom Micro, HeadRoom Total BitHead, HiFiMAN EF2, iBasso D2+ Boa, iBasso T4 Mamba, Keces DA-151, M-Audio Transit USB, music hall dac25.2, NuForce uDAC, SoundBlaster X-Fi External

Download here.
LL
post #2 of 70
Good stuff, thanks.
post #3 of 70
very cool thanks
post #4 of 70
I am so going to do this tomorrow. But... the last time I tried ICO with Photoshop, well, I don't have any custom ICO's now
post #5 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelak View Post
Windows 7 allows you to configure your audio devices to have a custom icon. I converted a picture of the Nuforce uDAC into an ICO file and set it as the icon for the device. Does anyone else do this, or am I the only one who's obsessive-compulsive about this?



To configure a custom icon, right-click on the volume control icon in the notification area, click "Playback devices", select the device, click "Properties", and then "Change icon".

If you are inspired to create an icon for your DAC, post it in this thread!

The free image editing program Paint.NET can save in ICO format using this plug-in. GIMP (also free, and open source) can handle them natively.
I also created a custom NuForce icon, so I'll upload mine too!

Red one, on its side. I tweaked the colours to make it a bit more like how it looks in real life than the pictures on the rest of the web..


LL
post #6 of 70
inspired!
post #7 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Spanky_ View Post
I am so going to do this tomorrow. But... the last time I tried ICO with Photoshop, well, I don't have any custom ICO's now
Yeh it's terrible at saving ico's. Just save as 256x256 PNG and upload to convertico.com
post #8 of 70
I have been to lazy to do this but after reading this I figured why not waste the 20seconds it takes to rename the default name to the name of my DAC. There was already an icon that looked kinda like it in black (mines silver faced) anyways.

Thanks,
post #9 of 70
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrywild View Post
I also created a custom NuForce icon, so I'll upload mine too!

Red one, on its side. I tweaked the colours to make it a bit more like how it looks in real life than the pictures on the rest of the web..
Looks great, definitely better than mine! Thanks!

Well, I enjoyed doing this so I created a bunch of icons for other DACs. Hope people find these useful.

They are:
Benchmark DAC1 USB
E-MU 0202
E-MU 0404
Headroom Total Bithead
iBasso D2+ Boa



You can download them here (too big to include as attachment, so I've uploaded it elsewhere.)
post #10 of 70
Thread Starter 
Taking requests, too. If you don't know how to do it yourself, and if images of your DAC with a solid background turn up on Google Image Search, then I can make an icon for you.
post #11 of 70
Can you make one for DacMagic?
post #12 of 70
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Sup View Post
Can you make one for DacMagic?


Download here.
post #13 of 70
Thanks buddy, looking great!


post #14 of 70
Could I get a Behringer MS40 icon?
post #15 of 70
I go out record shopping to come home to a custom made DAC icon waiting in my PM.

Thank you!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Windows 7 Device Icons for DACs