Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › I've got a spare $1000, should I end the search for my perfect IEM
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I've got a spare $1000, should I end the search for my perfect IEM

post #1 of 30
Thread Starter 
I ditched all my hi-end full-sized cans and my Triple Fi's last week, so my "Can Bank" is sitting around a grand and I'm really leaning towards getting some custom IEMs and being done with the trial and error of finding the "perfect fit". I've searched through several reviews and it really seems to boil down to preference but I'm thinking of pre-ordering the JH-16Pros. I just want to hear it one more time before I reserve these things, do hi-end custom IEM's really justify their price point of $1000+? Initially, I will just be running these out of my macbook and iPod Touch 3G, so I know this is isn't optimal gear but nevertheless for $1000 I better be swept off my feet everytime I put these things in my tympanic membrane.
post #2 of 30
You should consider the JH 13, as I heard the JH16 pros were designed for professionnal stage use.
post #3 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Sleep View Post
...but nevertheless for $1000 I better be swept off my feet everytime I put these things in my tympanic membrane.
I would strongly discourage you from doing this.
post #4 of 30
Yeah, that could be a bit damaging...
post #5 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Sleep View Post
I just want to hear it one more time before I reserve these things, do hi-end custom IEM's really justify their price point of $1000+? Initially, I will just be running these out of my macbook and iPod Touch 3G, so I know this is isn't optimal gear but nevertheless for $1000 I better be swept off my feet everytime I put these things in my tympanic membrane.
Do *any* IEMs justify their $1000+ cost? To those who enjoy them, yes. But you have to remember at that price point you won't see $500 worth of difference between JH 16 and a "lesser" custom. IIRC the JH Pro customs have pretty low impedance so they might not see too much benefit from amping beyond something basic. Im my experience the iPod touch (2G) lacks some treble definition, and a Fiio fixed that for me quite easily.

I'd go with the JH 13; even if the JH 16 is around, I don't see how it would be much better. When I saw the JH 16 announcement earlier I felt there was an eerie parallel between it and that new dominos pizza campaign. Basically they ragged on their old pizza and talked about how the new one was so much better. I don't know really, don't listen to me .
post #6 of 30
If I was going to spend that kind of money I would try to get a listen first. Is there a JH dealer near you?
post #7 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by krismusic View Post
If I was going to spend that kind of money I would try to get a listen first. Is there a JH dealer near you?
How would he listen? Does JH have universal demo IEMs?
post #8 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by semisight View Post
Does JH have universal demo IEMs?
yup!
post #9 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photofan1986 View Post
You should consider the JH 13, as I heard the JH16 pros were designed for professionnal stage use.
I did not know this, that would save me $150 also so I would most likely stick to the JH13s then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopPop View Post
I would strongly discourage you from doing this.
I was merely joking haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by semisight View Post
Do *any* IEMs justify their $1000+ cost? To those who enjoy them, yes. But you have to remember at that price point you won't see $500 worth of difference between JH 16 and a "lesser" custom. IIRC the JH Pro customs have pretty low impedance so they might not see too much benefit from amping beyond something basic. Im my experience the iPod touch (2G) lacks some treble definition, and a Fiio fixed that for me quite easily.

I'd go with the JH 13; even if the JH 16 is around, I don't see how it would be much better. When I saw the JH 16 announcement earlier I felt there was an eerie parallel between it and that new dominos pizza campaign. Basically they ragged on their old pizza and talked about how the new one was so much better. I don't know really, don't listen to me .
That should be great because I have an FiiO myself...and I had the "new" Dominoes last weekend and it was pretty damned good
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Doug View Post
yup!
For real?! I would definitely like to taste test these first. That's really the only thing holding me back at this point, considering it would be a very harsh way to lose $1000 if I'm not satisfied and they cant be returned
post #10 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Sleep View Post
do hi-end custom IEM's really justify their price point of $1000+?
Yes. Add the Nuforce uDAC ($100) for your Mac and you will be in audio heaven
post #11 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfillion View Post
Yes. Add the Nuforce uDAC ($100) for your Mac and you will be in audio heaven
Let the search for an audiologist begin
post #12 of 30
The new Dominos definitely sucked, if you ask me. It tasted no different from what I remember. Pizza Hut, FTW.
post #13 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistertomlinson View Post
The new Dominos definitely sucked, if you ask me. It tasted no different from what I remember. Pizza Hut, FTW.
I must disagree on that, good sir.

Actually, no, it seems to depend on where. In my suburbian hometown, the new dominos pizza was almost identical to the old one save for some garlic on the crust. When I ordered it from my dorm room in the city however, I was treated with this amazing new pizza which was 80,000 times better.

Ummm yea that has noting to do with audio I know. Umm. yea. I'd say go with the 16s because 16 is my favorite number and is clearly superior to 13. Yeps.
post #14 of 30
Consider this thread... OFFICIALLY JACK'D!
post #15 of 30
When I heard the universal fit JH13 at CanJam, I thought they had a bit too much bass impact and treble. More bass in fact than any full size phone or IEM I've ever heard. They sounded great though, best IEM I had ever heard. But I can't imagine more bass, and that's what you'd get from the JH16.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › I've got a spare $1000, should I end the search for my perfect IEM