Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › It's official... iPad!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

It's official... iPad!! - Page 5

post #61 of 379
Ill stick with my ipod touch.
post #62 of 379
Go to the Apple home page and watch the video. You'll see that this is much, much more than an Itouch. This is a new category of product. Also, opening it up to developers much like they did with the Iphone will result in an explosion of gaming apps that will be truly amazing. This will be a first class gaming platform. It's definitely going to make the Kindle obsolete (too bad as I love my Kindle). Boys, this is a game changer. All you Sour Apple Pusses will be eating your words in 12 months. The docking station and blue tooth keyboard option will be a must have for many.

You've seen the future, and most of you think it's crap. Well, we'll see soon enough. Time will tell.
post #63 of 379
game changer? LMFAO
post #64 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyleo View Post
Go to the Apple home page and watch the video. You'll see that this is much, much more than an Itouch. This is a new category of product. Also, opening it up to developers much like they did with the Iphone will result in an explosion of gaming apps that will be truly amazing. This will be a first class gaming platform. It's definitely going to make the Kindle obsolete (too bad as I love my Kindle). Boys, this is a game changer. All you Sour Apple Pusses will be eating your words in 12 months. The docking station and blue tooth keyboard option will be a must have for many.

You've seen the future, and most of you think it's crap. Well, we'll see soon enough. Time will tell.
I agree with you. I think all the people writing "fail" about this will be surprised by how this takes off.

I've never owned an Apple product, and had mild interest in a netbook, but this really piques my curiosity. Great battery life, could be a good media player for kids in the car, use it as a digital picture frame upstairs where I have no computer and grab it whenever I want to do a quick web search. Sure it's no e-inc display but it sounds like the display quality might actually be good enough for an e-book reader. It's not a great multifunction device, but I suspect that ease of use will win many over.
post #65 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyleo View Post
Go to the Apple home page and watch the video. You'll see that this is much, much more than an Itouch. This is a new category of product. Also, opening it up to developers much like they did with the Iphone will result in an explosion of gaming apps that will be truly amazing. This will be a first class gaming platform. It's definitely going to make the Kindle obsolete (too bad as I love my Kindle). Boys, this is a game changer. All you Sour Apple Pusses will be eating your words in 12 months. The docking station and blue tooth keyboard option will be a must have for many.

You've seen the future, and most of you think it's crap. Well, we'll see soon enough. Time will tell.
What killer feature does this have that a netbook doesn't?
Touchscreen? Yeah, if you so please you can get netbooks with them.
3G? Check.
140,000 Apps? Oh, hello, Windows, a real operating system.
Stupid bezel? Some of the older models have them, if you're desperate.

I think the above poster has proven my point. You don't buy a netbook to use it as a digital picture frame. I will not be surprised when this sells well; Apple have selected a technologically incompetent market segment which I am not a member of, but which is much more lucrative than hateful basement dwelling nerds.
post #66 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcpk View Post
^^ LMFAO.....
post #67 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyD.Luffy View Post
I wish somebody did a 128/256GB 7" tablet with spdif and
-foobar
-mediaplayer classic
-firefox
And would you be willing to pay something along the lines of Sony Vaio prices for such a dream machine ? We are talking a premium product for a niche market.
post #68 of 379
iPad will rely greatly on apps to sell, just like iphone and ipod touch. If there're lots of high-res apps churned out shortly, people will go gaga over it. Otherwise, meh. Personally i thought they should include a camera for photo taking/video recording on the go, would be very nice on that 9" screen.
post #69 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyleo View Post
Go to the Apple home page and watch the video. You'll see that this is much, much more than an Itouch. This is a new category of product. Also, opening it up to developers much like they did with the Iphone will result in an explosion of gaming apps that will be truly amazing. This will be a first class gaming platform. It's definitely going to make the Kindle obsolete (too bad as I love my Kindle). Boys, this is a game changer. All you Sour Apple Pusses will be eating your words in 12 months. The docking station and blue tooth keyboard option will be a must have for many.

You've seen the future, and most of you think it's crap. Well, we'll see soon enough. Time will tell.
I'm hoping that you forgot to add your sarcasm tags. First class gaming platform? For the most casual players only, like your 11-year-old brother, or 45 y.o. uncle. The battery life makes this player a joke next to the Kindle, a product which does one thing very well.

Let me summarize the video for you.

<VP with cool accent> IT HAS NO VISIBLE FEATURES. THERE IS NO UP AND DOWN. IT'S REALLY THIN AND REALLY LIGHT.

<Older VP> THE IPHONE WAS GREAT LET ME LIST SOME TECHNOLOGIES THAT WE USED IN IT. THIS IS A REALLY BIG IPHONE.

<Accent Dude> IT'S JUST ONE BIG PIECE OF GLASS.

<Younger VP w/ crazy eyes> WE MADE NEW APPS. THIS HAS A BIGGER SCREEN. IPAD IS THE BEST WAY TO BROWSE THE WEB. YOU CAN SEE MORE OF THE INTERNET. DON'T THINK, DO! THE EMAIL IS SO FUN COS YOU USE YOUR HANDS. SCREW HEIRLOOM PHOTO ALBUMS; USE THE IPAD, IT'S THE BEST. TOUCH IT [MOVIE] WITH YOUR FINGER. OH YEAH, WE GOT SOME MAPS, TOO. AND A CALENDAR LIKE YOU'VE NEVER SEEN. WE CALL IT THE JOBSONIAN CALENDAR, WITH ONLY 2 SEASONS, THE NEW IPOD SEASON, AND THE WAIT FOR A NEW IPOD SEASON. OMG BOOKS. I LOVE READING MY BLACK AND WHITE BOOKS IN A HI-RES COLOR DISPLAY. THERE IS A SECRET BOOKSHELF DOOR WITH A BOOKSTORE BEHIND IT. THERE ARE 3 STORES!!!

<Chubby VP> FEEL THE MULTITOUCH OF A BIGGER screen. MULTITOUCH MULTITOUCH MULTITOUCH MULTITOUCH. THERE, I JUST MADE IT A WORD. THE BATTERY IS PRE-CHARGED? WHEN YOU TOUCH THE power button IT EXPLODES IN YOUR FACE. OTHER PEOPLE CAN SEE WHAT YOU'RE DOING! THANKS, IPS. SILIKUN!!!! A BATTERY THAT LASTS 5/12 OF THE DAY! THAT'S LIKE THE WHOLE DAY, RIGHT?!?!?!

<Older VP again> IT'S NOT THAT EXPENSIVE.

<Accent Dude> IT'S SO BIG, SO INTUITIVE.

The End
post #70 of 379
Lest we forget.... 'fingerpainting'??!!! ROFLMFAO.......
post #71 of 379
Well, I will have to go see one myself. I am not fond of writing on the road with my laptop as it is too heavy and netbooks are too small for real typing. I can imagine that with 10 hours battery life, the keyboard attachment and Pages to work with, I will be able to get my work done much better than I would my laptop and certainly my iPod touch (which sometimes does it for me).

I rue the fact that a mini USB input isn't present: would be great to offload photos from my Camera when out and about.

OLED: don't really care. I'd rather IPS anyway to an oversaturated OLED (lots of experience with OLEDS).

Battery life: for what it is, not bad at all.

No eInk: well, that may be toublesome if you want to look at the page all day, but for web browsing, may be fine.

Price: great. I don't need more than 16GB on the road especially if photos stay at home and I would NOT use something that big for music, I am not Korean.

Video: Don't really care. I just want to work cheaply and with good effect and minimal footprint.

OS: at least it isn't windows. I use both every day, but don't enjoy Windows in any flavour. Mobile OSX is nothing as nice as the real thing, but I wasn't expecting it anyway.

Music: I wouldn't expect it to have optical out: who in the hell thought that was a possibility? Why whine about something Apple haven't even once included in anything past their computers? I'm sure the headphone out is the same quality of the normal iPod touch/iPhone, so it is commendable, but not first rate. Still, cannot imagine myself using something which won't fit into my shirt for music!

Buy? No - not now. I will wait at least 6 months. My laptop has seen many better days and will run up to 3 years old now, but I expect to keep it on its Griffin stand for now and when I have the dosh, to pick up a 16 GB iPad.

Name: hate the name. It is disgustingly cyclical.
post #72 of 379
so lets see, to provide it with any kind of functionality at all (but not multitasking) you have to purchase a dock and a seperate keyboard, (if you get the right netbook you can have a keyboard anything from 95% to 100% fullsize and thus impinges in no way on your ability to work effectively in a mobile setting) without even mentioning screen protector and bag to carry it and multiple peripheral parts to turn it into something you can buy in one piece with its own built in keyboard and screen protector. Seems strange, ill thought out, poorly conceived and for the sake of being different.

This is way better than a netbook how?

Seems like making available the dock and keyboard apple concede that netbooks actually are really rather useful mobile devices after all and the ipad aspires to be one but doesnt quite pull it off.

not to mention most netbooks as well being fully functioning pc's (my asus is crap, but that was a game changer being as it was the first proper mainstream netbook on the market, but my nc10 has run linux, xp, vista and windows 7, as well as play games with no problems what so ever), have the same battery life, card readers, ethernet, bluetooth, wifi, 3g support for newer models, user replacable batteries, user replacable upgraded batteries, folds down to protect the screen, folds up to find just the right viewing angle for me, supports itself, contains a keyboard, and has 160gb hdd (and this is roughly a two year old machine now) and to top it off costs circa £250
post #73 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyle_t View Post
Personally i thought they should include a camera for photo taking/video recording on the go, would be very nice on that 9" screen.
I can't see reason for the camera on the iPad. Just imagine how weird I am by holding a big, square thing to record video makes me laugh.
post #74 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by logwed View Post
I'm hoping that you forgot to add your sarcasm tags. First class gaming platform? For the most casual players only, like your 11-year-old brother, or 45 y.o. uncle. The battery life makes this player a joke next to the Kindle, a product which does one thing very well.

Let me summarize the video for you.

<VP with cool accent> IT HAS NO VISIBLE FEATURES. THERE IS NO UP AND DOWN. IT'S REALLY THIN AND REALLY LIGHT.

<Older VP> THE IPHONE WAS GREAT LET ME LIST SOME TECHNOLOGIES THAT WE USED IN IT. THIS IS A REALLY BIG IPHONE.

<Accent Dude> IT'S JUST ONE BIG PIECE OF GLASS.

<Younger VP w/ crazy eyes> WE MADE NEW APPS. THIS HAS A BIGGER SCREEN. IPAD IS THE BEST WAY TO BROWSE THE WEB. YOU CAN SEE MORE OF THE INTERNET. DON'T THINK, DO! THE EMAIL IS SO FUN COS YOU USE YOUR HANDS. SCREW HEIRLOOM PHOTO ALBUMS; USE THE IPAD, IT'S THE BEST. TOUCH IT [MOVIE] WITH YOUR FINGER. OH YEAH, WE GOT SOME MAPS, TOO. AND A CALENDAR LIKE YOU'VE NEVER SEEN. WE CALL IT THE JOBSONIAN CALENDAR, WITH ONLY 2 SEASONS, THE NEW IPOD SEASON, AND THE WAIT FOR A NEW IPOD SEASON. OMG BOOKS. I LOVE READING MY BLACK AND WHITE BOOKS IN A HI-RES COLOR DISPLAY. THERE IS A SECRET BOOKSHELF DOOR WITH A BOOKSTORE BEHIND IT. THERE ARE 3 STORES!!!

<Chubby VP> FEEL THE MULTITOUCH OF A BIGGER screen. MULTITOUCH MULTITOUCH MULTITOUCH MULTITOUCH. THERE, I JUST MADE IT A WORD. THE BATTERY IS PRE-CHARGED? WHEN YOU TOUCH THE power button IT EXPLODES IN YOUR FACE. OTHER PEOPLE CAN SEE WHAT YOU'RE DOING! THANKS, IPS. SILIKUN!!!! A BATTERY THAT LASTS 5/12 OF THE DAY! THAT'S LIKE THE WHOLE DAY, RIGHT?!?!?!

<Older VP again> IT'S NOT THAT EXPENSIVE.

<Accent Dude> IT'S SO BIG, SO INTUITIVE.

The End
I thoroughly enjoyed your summary of the iPad video.

The main feature of the iPad seems to be geared towards the ebook users. Other than that, it's an improvement for email, web surfing, videos, and photos over the iphone/touch.

This might be great for people who travel a lot or have a lot of free time, but you can't really take it seriously for use in a school or any type of office. It's just not that practical.

Seriously Apple? 16GB?? You can do better than that. Way to milk the market.
post #75 of 379
It is odd, but at the same time, it may work. The iPod was widely criticised when it came out. But, the iPad is just announced. It may flop - who knows. Netbooks have a couple of major disadvantages: cheap screens, usually no touch, and Windows (for me).

If you want it simple, I think there isn't a better device at the moment for simple. I don't want a laptop replacement: I want a device which will do one or two things very well and this (minus the ability to import photos), is it perhaps.

As for having to accessorise: that is fine with me. We accessories our portable audio: amps, cables, carrying cases, elastics: why not a netbook? Our panties shouldn't be stitched because Apple chose something like this: we choose to be different to the multitude of audio listeners daily. Apple just happen to think about the device as a different market (which it is) and at the same time, we are a different market, just a different category.

I cannot complain. If it sucks, no one has to buy it. If it doesn't offer what you want, no matter, a netbook or something else does. Unless you are a real fanboy and really wanted a certain spec, I see no reason to get upset.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › It's official... iPad!!