Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › It's official... iPad!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

It's official... iPad!! - Page 24

post #346 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadbang View Post
Has anyone ever done study of JUST WHAT IS the most efficient interface?
Hahaha I think Steve Jobs has

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadbang View Post
Is touch really the best method? Maybe on a tablet it works, but I was at Fry's playing with this touch screen monitor and it sucked beyond belief.
-snip-
There's no way in hell this is more efficient or convenient! It would be absolute fatiguing!
Yet touch-screen monitors are still with us, and after almost 50 years are ubiquitous in the retail, professional, and restaurant sectors. Multi-touch technology has been developed since the early 1980s, but it took Apple to make it an experience gratifying enough to tickle the fancy of the masses.

The result is the iPhone, which has taken over 50% of the smartphone market with just one model that gets a face lift now and then, and Apple now controls 95% of worldwide smartphone software sales as well

What Apple always brings to the table is usability, and the public rewards them for that. I'll say it again, the advantage is the interface: no keyboard, mouse or trackpad. Those who do not get used to it will eventually die off
post #347 of 379
Apple iPad: 25 unanswered questions - PC World- msnbc.com
post #348 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post
Yet touch-screen monitors are still with us, and after almost 50 years are ubiquitous in the retail, professional, and restaurant sectors. Multi-touch technology has been developed since the early 1980s, but it took Apple to make it an experience gratifying enough to tickle the fancy of the masses.

I think its great in a fast food setting where you punch in "Cheeseburger" "Fries" "Coke" (because that's the extent of your vocabulary) but I'm not sure I want to navigate computer menus with it. I've seen some of the ipad demos and there are some menus which look mighty small to be using with a touchscreen. If youve got a drop down "Favorites" menu in your browser with 30 items, good luck hitting it on the first go. I guess we'll just have to wait and see the reports from users.

Maybe I'm just skeptical because I'm a power user on Macs. I make my living with inDesign and Photoshop. And I'd hate to have to run those programs using a touchpad. It would be a nightmare.


Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post
What Apple always brings to the table is usability, and the public rewards them for that. I'll say it again, the advantage is the interface: no keyboard, mouse or trackpad.
I'd say the iPhones "interface" is 80 percent software and 20 percent touchscreen as far as usability goes.


But ultimate it's all sticks and stones to me. I don't really care. When I read news reports like this one, it makes me realize how pointless it all is.

Carolyn Reidy, the CEO of Simon & Schuster, said the iPad seems like a ‘‘terrific device,’’ citing the clear screen and the ability to turn pages by touching a finger to the screen, as opposed to pushing a button, as the Kindle requires.

Whoa, I get to smudge my screen instead of endure the ardour of touching a button (and look at an annoying page turning transition). Wow.
post #349 of 379
I do not have to read a lot about the device to know that next to my Samsung NC10, which is almost a year old now, looks mediocre.
post #350 of 379
I'm going to go on a wing here and flame Samsung. I shouldn't because it is unrelated, but considering they have held power here in both the government and in all aspects of daily life for 50 years or more, they are scary. I would never buy an item from them, except that everything in South Korea is Samsung. My groceries are them, cars are them, hotels, theme parks, massage parlours.

And, they sell stuff here which breaks down; they make buildings which crash killing thousands and they make cars which are over priced and break because they don't care about the Korean market.

Sorry to blather, but Samsung have another problem: whether or not the NC10 makes an iPad look mediocre, it is still built ground up to run an OS rather than a specially designed OS. Like it or hate it, Apple's iPad is the only specially designed (whatever it is) because every other company have to subscribe to either Linux, Windows, or Android/Chrome, but their devices were not meant especially for the OS.

I don't really worry about supposed functionality because even the best netbook or tablet are horrid in comparison to a crap laptop. Apple may or may not succeed, but at least they are doing something different which has the potential to change the market - really change the market.

Especially if you hate them, I see no reason to constantly spout about them here.
post #351 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Szadzik View Post
I do not have to read a lot about the device to know that next to my Samsung NC10, which is almost a year old now, looks mediocre.
It's completely pathetic compared to my q9550 with 8GBs of ram and 24" monitor as well, what's your point? the largest part of the controversy lies with people making apples to oranges comparisons.
post #352 of 379
i think it should be compared to similar devices, like the pepper pad, the nokia N900, the SmartQ V7,

most of its competitors offer better quality, more features, better price performance,
but apple products are never about the product itself, they are about the expiriance,

while the ipad in my opinion is overpriced trash, it will sell well becuase apple is more about the expiriance then the product, the smartQ V7 at a 1/3 of the price trouces it capability wise, the sleek design, the smooth interface and the belief by apple fan boys that lord jobs can do no worng will lead to good sales, but dont fool yourselfs, it will do so for the same reason Bose and skull candy sell well, mind over matter, if you dont mind, it dosnt matter...
post #353 of 379
I just checked out the SmartQ V7 - It is overpriced if you compare it to the iPad. The reasons are: iPad has IPS screen, at least 16 GB (not 2), a faster processor and more. I don't see how the two even compare. In order to get 16 GB, you'd have to buy extra memory, you'd still have a smaller screen (and worse quality), the memory would be slower and so too, would the CPU.

Again, the iPad isn't another knock off the shelf netpad. It is as you say, built on the experience, and as it isn't yet out, its experience isn't fully understood. At the same time, Apple have a great price for the hardware which all things considered, isn't matched by anyone at all.
post #354 of 379
I also did a comparison of the above mentioned products and don't see it aside from
pepper pad has ceased all operations but the screen size and resolution the speed at which things open ,rotate and boot not seeing it.
post #355 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by stigweard View Post
It's completely pathetic compared to my q9550 with 8GBs of ram and 24" monitor as well, what's your point? the largest part of the controversy lies with people making apples to oranges comparisons.
So you are saying a netbook is to ipad like a low-spec laptop to a high spec desktop?

I think you are missing something. Both are for portable use. Both have around 10" screen, small CPUs, not too much memory.

Still my NC10 runs Windows 7 HP very well and is a very usable device, while iPad will just be a TOY, no more, no less, just a TOY.
post #356 of 379
I think people are confused it is not designed to replace but compliment what you already
have.
post #357 of 379
Actually the SmartQ V7 looks very good. It has three OS and does internet very well. On the other hand, I wonder how good it is as an ebook reader. This is what keeps me from getting one. Otherwise, it is a geek's toy completely.
post #358 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoNB View Post
Ok so how do you do that. Instructions. I have a blackberry (older model) with TMobile. Will it still work?

Thanks in advance.
no idea. My company sets up the phones, but it is a fact that I am using tethering with AT&T.
post #359 of 379
But no one will explain how to get teethering working or pointing to thread explaining it.

PM me if that's the concern, but I would love to teether my phone to my MBP.

Thanks
post #360 of 379
I get several magazines electronically. I think the iPad would run them very smoothly. Access to my email account to pick them up and use it for magazines would be a dream come true. Plus, electronic magazine subscriptions typically run $6 for a two year subscription. No apps needed for that. They are self running emails.

Can't beat that with a stick.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › It's official... iPad!!