Skylab, i'm searching a good tube buffer for my office rig and i'm very interested in a CD3 with the Tung-Sol 6F8G's and pin adapter, what do you honestly think about it???
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Yaqin MS-300C 300B Amp Last post on 10/14/10 at 5:26pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Anyone heard the YAQIN PH-5L?? Last post on 10/2/10 at 8:54am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Yaqin MS500B - 300b tube questions Last post on 2/16/13 at 10:00am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Neutral Desktop Headphone AMP for Heir Audio 4.A CIEM? Last post on 8/20/12 at 7:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on Yesterday at 3:10 pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Edited on 11/14/12
- Headphone ImpedanceEdited on 8/18/12
Introduction The ASG-2 is Aurisonics' second (official) foray into the world of iems. The guys over at Aurisonics cater primarily to the music professional crowd, and their products are...
My opinions Sound The sound produced by the HD558 is rich, a bit light, and isn't bloated with bass which is a good thing. It has a crisp treble and punchy bass, very great...
Introduction In the past 2 years VentureCraft has been successfully creating amps and DAC/Amp packaged components with their GD-03, Go-DAP 4.0 for iPhone 4(s), and Go-DAP X for their...
A friend of mine needed a new headphone, which was cheap, closed and good sounding. I said to him, dream on friend it will be very tough to find a headphone with those criteria. But then after...
Along with the summary below, I have posted a Youtube video review of the K550. If you like the video, check out my channel for more reviews :) Summary BUILD The AKG K550...
- Headphone Impedance
YAQIN CD£ TUBE BUFFER - Page 3
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
Is the Grant Fidelity rebadge the same thing?
Yes it is. Grant Fidelity has a distribution deal to sell their products which Yaquin modifies & re-badges for Grant Fidelity. Quality control is supposed to be better and for the higher price GF provides North American warranty and service. They're a great company to deal with.
EDIT: Yes it does. With the power off it will pass through the signal.
Edited by francisdemarte - 2/17/11 at 4:00pm
My Yaqin CD3 arrived from ebay seller 'tubewave' the other day. I have to give them a hearty recommendation. They shipped quickly and provided excellent communication along the way.
The unit is incredibly well built! Solid case, cool mirror chromed transformer cover, solid aluminum tube guards. The only con is the lit Yaqin logo is a bit bright and detracting in my rack, but it's nothing a little black tape won't fix.
I have the unit connected to my dedicated 2 channel system which comprises of:
Seagate Dockstar with linux installed running SqueezeSlave (squeezebox client) > AMB Gamma2 (usb connection) > vintage Marantz 2265B > Swan M1.2 speakers (no longer produced but basically a larger version of the Swan M1)
The sound from the unit with it's stock Chinese tube is very transparent, it gives the midrange just a bit of tubey warmth and fullness.So far I haven't heard any large changes to the treble or the bass, everything is just ever so slightly fuller and "rounder", just a touch warmer and thicker. In truth I was expecting a bit more radical change like the difference between my Lovely Cube SS amp and Hybrid tube Head Direct EF5 amp.
The change was exactly what I was looking for, adding a touch of smoothness and fullness to my rig. Just because I'm a sucker for big manly tubes I've ordered a set of NOS RCA 6f8g and adapters. I'll report back when I receive them!
I'm looking at getting a tube buffer for my STAX 3030 setup (SR303/SRM313) and have landed here! I don't have a lot of interest in investing in tubes (not for some years at least), but wouldn't mind having a main pair to replace the stock Chinese ones and keeping the stock ones as backup. What would you all recommend in my situation? Is the CD3 the model I should go for? What about as my main tubes? I've seen a lot of models thrown around here and I'm not really sure which way to go.
But the stock tubes SUCK. Spend the $50 or so for a pair of Sylvania 6SN7WGT's, and be happy
Another hint - the FS Forums of this very website are a great place to look for tubes.
I've been living with the CD3 for close to a year now, just thought I update with more thoughts:
I like the CD3 quite a bit, gives a little tube coloration when I'm in the mood for it and provides a little bit of gain.
I gives me a little color when I want it in front of my O2 amp (the O2 purity fanatics will probably pounce on me for this statement).
I'm currently using it with the Black Treasure tubes and feel it a major step up from the stock tubes which were not to my tastes.
To be honest I don't know if the capacitor mods were worth it. If I had to do it over again I just swap tubes first then if I wanted more I would increase the value of the input caps.
I have only a few reservations, non of them deal killers:
1. It's not a true by pass when powered off. When the unit is switches off it is suppose to pass signal. This signal still has to run thought all the circuitry in the CD3, this eats of a lot of gain and I think may even affect the sound slightly. I was planning on adding a manual by pass switch to avoid this.
2. Extra gain. I'm divided on the fact that the unit adds some gain. Most of the time I love it, there are times I wish it would just have unity gain like a true buffer.
3. I wish it had more outputs. I will probably add this in the future. I guess the extra signal gain would be a plus for this mod :) (see I told you I was divided)
I got mine for under $200 shipped from China on ebay. I got here in less than a week! You would be hard pressed to build anything for less money.
A better but much more costly DIY alternative would be an glass jar audio's BCF and ACF-2 kits:
After the cost of parts, power supply, and case I'd be looking at at least twice what I paid.
I think that a lot of money for something as simple as a tube buffer, I'd rather just build a OTL amp instead.
Francisdemarte, I've just ordered a Yaqin Cd-3, and being very impressed with your article mod of this unit, I have a couple of questions about this item that you might be able to help me with. (1) Is there any difference in sound if the CD 3 is connected between cd player and preamp or preamp and power amp? (2) How is your mod done, what parts are needed and location of parts purchase?
- YAQIN CD£ TUBE BUFFER
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Pros:“Wide soundstage, Up front & involving, Instrument seperation, Clarity, Imaging placement location of sounds.”
- Pros:“Powerful and affordable”“Powerful, clean output with slight warmth, small footprint, value for money, drives most headphones, nice connectability with E7”
- › K550 vs A900X | Comparison & Review 6 seconds ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START... 1 minute ago
- › HEADPHONE MEET at the Headmaster in San Francisco 8/10/2013 2 minutes ago
- › I have too much stuff sale 2 minutes ago
- › Earsonics carrying case 2 minutes ago
- › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 Hybrid IEM (Stealth) 3 minutes ago
- › The Opamp thread 3 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Aurisonics ASG-2 by eke2k6
- › Sennheiser HD-558 by Tr1ckster
- › Go-Dap DD Socket1 (DD/DA Converter) for iPhone & iPod... by AnakChan
- › Philips SHL5905BK/28 CitiScape Uptown by Marleybob217
- › AKG K 550 by a_recording
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by a_recording
- › Sony XBA-40/N Gold | Quad Balanced Armature In-Ear Headphones... by a_recording
- › Sony XBA-4SL by a_recording
- › Sony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphones by a_recording
- › Aune T1 by teb1013
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Power Corner) by joe