Skylab, i'm searching a good tube buffer for my office rig and i'm very interested in a CD3 with the Tung-Sol 6F8G's and pin adapter, what do you honestly think about it???
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Yaqin MS-300C 300B Amp Last post on 10/14/10 at 5:26pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Anyone heard the YAQIN PH-5L?? Last post on 10/2/10 at 8:54am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Yaqin MS500B - 300b tube questions Last post on 1/19/14 at 6:26pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Neutral Desktop Headphone AMP for Heir Audio 4.A CIEM? Last post on 8/20/12 at 7:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 6/18/15 at 8:36am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Background In about 1990, when Joseph Grado was designing his HMP-1 Holographic Scalera Scanner (perfectly-matched pair of microphones for recording), he needed some detailed, neutral...
Creative's Sound Blaster E1 If you want to cover your bases with a do-all headphone accessory, the E1 is a good start. Affordable, well featured, inexpensive, the E1 is Creative's entry-level...
Firstly like to thank Chuck from 1964 Ears for organising the Pendulumic Stance S1+ headphones for this review. Pendulumic is a relatively new company in the headphone world, and...
Introduction: RHA is a fairly new audio company that has made quite a splash recently with their MA750 and T10 IEMs. RHA has recently announced their new T20 IEM which is due to be released...
I do not own this unit – I had this unit from @fnkcow With Impedance of 320ohm this earbuds need a good amp to show its worth. I use my phone during my first listen to the zen and it sounds...
- Headphone Impedance
YAQIN CD£ TUBE BUFFER - Page 3
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
Is the Grant Fidelity rebadge the same thing?
Yes it is. Grant Fidelity has a distribution deal to sell their products which Yaquin modifies & re-badges for Grant Fidelity. Quality control is supposed to be better and for the higher price GF provides North American warranty and service. They're a great company to deal with.
EDIT: Yes it does. With the power off it will pass through the signal.
Edited by francisdemarte - 2/17/11 at 4:00pm
My Yaqin CD3 arrived from ebay seller 'tubewave' the other day. I have to give them a hearty recommendation. They shipped quickly and provided excellent communication along the way.
The unit is incredibly well built! Solid case, cool mirror chromed transformer cover, solid aluminum tube guards. The only con is the lit Yaqin logo is a bit bright and detracting in my rack, but it's nothing a little black tape won't fix.
I have the unit connected to my dedicated 2 channel system which comprises of:
Seagate Dockstar with linux installed running SqueezeSlave (squeezebox client) > AMB Gamma2 (usb connection) > vintage Marantz 2265B > Swan M1.2 speakers (no longer produced but basically a larger version of the Swan M1)
The sound from the unit with it's stock Chinese tube is very transparent, it gives the midrange just a bit of tubey warmth and fullness.So far I haven't heard any large changes to the treble or the bass, everything is just ever so slightly fuller and "rounder", just a touch warmer and thicker. In truth I was expecting a bit more radical change like the difference between my Lovely Cube SS amp and Hybrid tube Head Direct EF5 amp.
The change was exactly what I was looking for, adding a touch of smoothness and fullness to my rig. Just because I'm a sucker for big manly tubes I've ordered a set of NOS RCA 6f8g and adapters. I'll report back when I receive them!
I'm looking at getting a tube buffer for my STAX 3030 setup (SR303/SRM313) and have landed here! I don't have a lot of interest in investing in tubes (not for some years at least), but wouldn't mind having a main pair to replace the stock Chinese ones and keeping the stock ones as backup. What would you all recommend in my situation? Is the CD3 the model I should go for? What about as my main tubes? I've seen a lot of models thrown around here and I'm not really sure which way to go.
But the stock tubes SUCK. Spend the $50 or so for a pair of Sylvania 6SN7WGT's, and be happy
Another hint - the FS Forums of this very website are a great place to look for tubes.
I've been living with the CD3 for close to a year now, just thought I update with more thoughts:
I like the CD3 quite a bit, gives a little tube coloration when I'm in the mood for it and provides a little bit of gain.
I gives me a little color when I want it in front of my O2 amp (the O2 purity fanatics will probably pounce on me for this statement).
I'm currently using it with the Black Treasure tubes and feel it a major step up from the stock tubes which were not to my tastes.
To be honest I don't know if the capacitor mods were worth it. If I had to do it over again I just swap tubes first then if I wanted more I would increase the value of the input caps.
I have only a few reservations, non of them deal killers:
1. It's not a true by pass when powered off. When the unit is switches off it is suppose to pass signal. This signal still has to run thought all the circuitry in the CD3, this eats of a lot of gain and I think may even affect the sound slightly. I was planning on adding a manual by pass switch to avoid this.
2. Extra gain. I'm divided on the fact that the unit adds some gain. Most of the time I love it, there are times I wish it would just have unity gain like a true buffer.
3. I wish it had more outputs. I will probably add this in the future. I guess the extra signal gain would be a plus for this mod :) (see I told you I was divided)
I got mine for under $200 shipped from China on ebay. I got here in less than a week! You would be hard pressed to build anything for less money.
A better but much more costly DIY alternative would be an glass jar audio's BCF and ACF-2 kits:
After the cost of parts, power supply, and case I'd be looking at at least twice what I paid.
I think that a lot of money for something as simple as a tube buffer, I'd rather just build a OTL amp instead.
Francisdemarte, I've just ordered a Yaqin Cd-3, and being very impressed with your article mod of this unit, I have a couple of questions about this item that you might be able to help me with. (1) Is there any difference in sound if the CD 3 is connected between cd player and preamp or preamp and power amp? (2) How is your mod done, what parts are needed and location of parts purchase?
- YAQIN CD£ TUBE BUFFER
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread. 21 seconds ago
- › Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign 1 minute ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.2 1 minute ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 2 minutes ago
- › beyer dt770, 880, 990 replacement pad/cushion--softskin, gel,... 2 minutes ago
- › NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S 3 minutes ago
- › Fit for a Bat! – Flagship IEMs Shootout (Reviewed: #8:CT6E, #7:H8P,... 3 minutes ago
- › Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) 4 minutes ago
- › Objectivists board room 5 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 5 minutes ago
- › Joseph Grado HPA-1 by kayandjohn
- › Creative Sound Blaster E1 Portable Headphone Amplifier with... by Evshrug
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1+ Bluetooth Wireless Headphones by pformagg
- › RHA T20 by Cotnijoe
- › VE Zen by boneofimba
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by xkonfuzed
- › TCG Audio TRD3+ Desktop HeadAmp & 32/384DAC by YoYo JoKeR
- › Xiaomi Pistons 3.0 in-ear headphones by FYLegend
- › Woo Audio WA5 LE by Nosbig
- › Microsoft Lumia 435 UNLOCKED Windows Phone 8 WP8 2G GSM... by mark2410
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)