Skylab, i'm searching a good tube buffer for my office rig and i'm very interested in a CD3 with the Tung-Sol 6F8G's and pin adapter, what do you honestly think about it???
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Yaqin MS-300C 300B Amp Last post on 10/14/10 at 5:26pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Anyone heard the YAQIN PH-5L?? Last post on 10/2/10 at 8:54am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Yaqin MS500B - 300b tube questions Last post on 1/19/14 at 6:26pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Neutral Desktop Headphone AMP for Heir Audio 4.A CIEM? Last post on 8/20/12 at 7:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 4/5/16 at 2:45am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTIONThis is the 2nd pair of IEMs sent to me for evaluation recently by FiiO. You can find my...
Unboxing This package came in an unassuming black box with the branding directly on the front. Opening it reveals the very nice semi-hard case that stores the earphones. Opening the case...
Intro I wanted to start this review off with a Swiss Army knife joke but it looks like several Head-Fiers have already did that so in a futile attempt to be both funny and original I’ll start off...
This is the video review of the Cayin i5 Digital Audio Player. The player has been compared with iDSD Micro BL and Audeze Cypher cable for its sound qualities. Skip to 12 minutes 50 seconds mark...
DISCLAIMER The Empire Ears Zeus-R was purchased during my trip to the Empire Ears office at Buford, Georgia. The Empire Ears team have since moved their operations to their newer and larger...
YAQIN CD£ TUBE BUFFER - Page 3
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #32 of 618/6/10 at 6:01pmpost #33 of 618/6/10 at 7:43pmpost #34 of 618/6/10 at 9:06pmQuote:Originally Posted by hodgjy
Is the Grant Fidelity rebadge the same thing?
Yes it is. Grant Fidelity has a distribution deal to sell their products which Yaquin modifies & re-badges for Grant Fidelity. Quality control is supposed to be better and for the higher price GF provides North American warranty and service. They're a great company to deal with.
post #35 of 618/7/10 at 6:36ampost #36 of 612/10/11 at 9:11ampost #37 of 612/10/11 at 12:29pmQuestion to Yaqin owners. Does this buffer act as a pass thru when it is powered off?
EDIT: Yes it does. With the power off it will pass through the signal.
Edited by francisdemarte - 2/17/11 at 4:00pmpost #38 of 612/18/11 at 10:28amThis thread's been dead but I'll add my .002 cents anyway.
My Yaqin CD3 arrived from ebay seller 'tubewave' the other day. I have to give them a hearty recommendation. They shipped quickly and provided excellent communication along the way.
The unit is incredibly well built! Solid case, cool mirror chromed transformer cover, solid aluminum tube guards. The only con is the lit Yaqin logo is a bit bright and detracting in my rack, but it's nothing a little black tape won't fix.
I have the unit connected to my dedicated 2 channel system which comprises of:
Seagate Dockstar with linux installed running SqueezeSlave (squeezebox client) > AMB Gamma2 (usb connection) > vintage Marantz 2265B > Swan M1.2 speakers (no longer produced but basically a larger version of the Swan M1)
The sound from the unit with it's stock Chinese tube is very transparent, it gives the midrange just a bit of tubey warmth and fullness.So far I haven't heard any large changes to the treble or the bass, everything is just ever so slightly fuller and "rounder", just a touch warmer and thicker. In truth I was expecting a bit more radical change like the difference between my Lovely Cube SS amp and Hybrid tube Head Direct EF5 amp.
The change was exactly what I was looking for, adding a touch of smoothness and fullness to my rig. Just because I'm a sucker for big manly tubes I've ordered a set of NOS RCA 6f8g and adapters. I'll report back when I receive them!post #39 of 613/11/11 at 7:48pmpost #40 of 613/11/11 at 7:57pmpost #41 of 613/25/11 at 5:16pmRe-Capped with NOS Sprague Vitamin Q's. Sound stage really opened up and they are not even burnt in. I thought they would be very warm and romantic but they sound very clean and clear.post #42 of 614/1/11 at 5:02pm
I'm looking at getting a tube buffer for my STAX 3030 setup (SR303/SRM313) and have landed here! I don't have a lot of interest in investing in tubes (not for some years at least), but wouldn't mind having a main pair to replace the stock Chinese ones and keeping the stock ones as backup. What would you all recommend in my situation? Is the CD3 the model I should go for? What about as my main tubes? I've seen a lot of models thrown around here and I'm not really sure which way to go.post #43 of 614/1/11 at 6:07pmThere are a LOT of varieties of 6SN7 to choose from, some costing $40 or so a pair, on up to $400 a pair and even higher.
But the stock tubes SUCK. Spend the $50 or so for a pair of Sylvania 6SN7WGT's, and be happy
Another hint - the FS Forums of this very website are a great place to look for tubes.post #44 of 612/7/12 at 8:06am
I've been living with the CD3 for close to a year now, just thought I update with more thoughts:
I like the CD3 quite a bit, gives a little tube coloration when I'm in the mood for it and provides a little bit of gain.
I gives me a little color when I want it in front of my O2 amp (the O2 purity fanatics will probably pounce on me for this statement).
I'm currently using it with the Black Treasure tubes and feel it a major step up from the stock tubes which were not to my tastes.
To be honest I don't know if the capacitor mods were worth it. If I had to do it over again I just swap tubes first then if I wanted more I would increase the value of the input caps.
I have only a few reservations, non of them deal killers:
1. It's not a true by pass when powered off. When the unit is switches off it is suppose to pass signal. This signal still has to run thought all the circuitry in the CD3, this eats of a lot of gain and I think may even affect the sound slightly. I was planning on adding a manual by pass switch to avoid this.
2. Extra gain. I'm divided on the fact that the unit adds some gain. Most of the time I love it, there are times I wish it would just have unity gain like a true buffer.
3. I wish it had more outputs. I will probably add this in the future. I guess the extra signal gain would be a plus for this mod :) (see I told you I was divided)
I got mine for under $200 shipped from China on ebay. I got here in less than a week! You would be hard pressed to build anything for less money.
A better but much more costly DIY alternative would be an glass jar audio's BCF and ACF-2 kits:
After the cost of parts, power supply, and case I'd be looking at at least twice what I paid.
I think that a lot of money for something as simple as a tube buffer, I'd rather just build a OTL amp instead.post #45 of 612/8/12 at 7:38pm
Francisdemarte, I've just ordered a Yaqin Cd-3, and being very impressed with your article mod of this unit, I have a couple of questions about this item that you might be able to help me with. (1) Is there any difference in sound if the CD 3 is connected between cd player and preamp or preamp and power amp? (2) How is your mod done, what parts are needed and location of parts purchase?
- YAQIN CD£ TUBE BUFFER
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 4 seconds ago
- › Auralic Taurus Balanced Amp 4 pins xlr 31 seconds ago
- › Focal Elear - Impressions Thread 36 seconds ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 40 seconds ago
- › Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced 59 seconds ago
- › Sony announces the "Just ear" brand of custom IEMs 1 minute ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT 1350 with a bunch of original replacement pads 1 minute ago
- › Gearbest's Headphones Thread 1 minute ago
- › LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO F3 Dynamic In-Ear Monitors by Brooko
- › ADV.Sound EVO X by chompchomps
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by Yethal
- › Cayin i5 by piksnz
- › Empire Ears Zeus by ejong7
- › Cosmic Ears CE6P by fluffyberry
- › HIFIMAN SuperMini High-Res Portable Player by tenedosian
- › Sennheiser HD 800 S by Dobrescu George
- › Westone W80 Eight-Driver System with Dual Bass, Dual Mid, and Quad... by Koolpep
- › JDS Labs Assembled Objective2 Headphone Amplifier by SoundApprentice
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear