Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Purity Audio K.I.C.A.S. Caliente ... Can it compete ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Purity Audio K.I.C.A.S. Caliente ... Can it compete ? - Page 4

post #46 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by estreeter View Post
userlander, I don't want to get into a flame war with you - the main thing is that you are enjoying your choices. I don't pretend that the Head-Fi FOTMs are 'best of breed', but surely you can understand that most of us don't hand over our credit card details for every $99 DAC/amp we come across on e-bay ?
No, you hand over a lot more to pay for advertising costs, overhead costs, employee costs, sourcing costs, fancy enclosure costs, etc. By the standards you are talking about with these other products, the T-Max is probably actually more like the equivalent of a $400-500 amp.

Still say that's "budget?"

At least if it were marketed that way it would be that cost. And in that case, you would probably rave about it.

A lot of people can't see that, though, because of... well, because of hype. That's what advertising budgets are for, and that (and other things) is a lot of what you pay for when you buy your "non-budget" gear. Some people are relatively more immune to that, however, and can hear something for what it is, rather than the price tag attached. That's how you can know when you're not a victim of hype.
post #47 of 59
I know this is getting way off topic but I wanted to say that I PMed userlander a couple of weeks ago with some questions about amping the DT880 and he was very helpful to me and took the time to answer my questions. I decided to get the Thunderbolt Max despite finding no real reviews for it anywhere. Hopefully it will arrive in a week or 2.

1 thing i would say is that I saw on the hotaudio forums that userlander got a DAC lent out to him by hotaudio in exchange for a review of it here. I am assuming that this is pretty standard practice around here but I guess it's information that should be disclosed. I am not in any way saying that this lessens some1s credability or objectivity.
post #48 of 59
Thread Starter 
What I have learned from this : How to stir up contraversy ... LOL

Seriously though, put away the gloves. I have found my new desktop amp.

I'm going to try the RudiStor NX-03 ... All the reviews seem to hear pretty much the same thing , speed, clarity, and slam with transparency.

Thanks to all who helped, and tried to help
post #49 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by angle_sh00ter View Post
1 thing i would say is that I saw on the hotaudio forums that userlander got a DAC lent out to him by hotaudio in exchange for a review of it here. I am assuming that this is pretty standard practice around here but I guess it's information that should be disclosed. I am not in any way saying that this lessens some1s credability or objectivity.
Thanks for that. Its only 'standard practice' for a very small number of Head-Fiers.
post #50 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by angle_sh00ter View Post
I know this is getting way off topic but I wanted to say that I PMed userlander a couple of weeks ago with some questions about amping the DT880 and he was very helpful to me and took the time to answer my questions. I decided to get the Thunderbolt Max despite finding no real reviews for it anywhere. Hopefully it will arrive in a week or 2.

1 thing i would say is that I saw on the hotaudio forums that userlander got a DAC lent out to him by hotaudio in exchange for a review of it here. I am assuming that this is pretty standard practice around here but I guess it's information that should be disclosed. I am not in any way saying that this lessens some1s credability or objectivity.
No, I ended up paying for that, so you have kind of jumped to conclusions there. I got a discount on what I bought - the T-Max and the Dac-Extasy - presumably because I used the "make offer" form on his site, and maybe because I have also bought 2 other things from him, an RM-1, and a HOTUSB1 (which I didn't think was that great), but it is incorrect to say I got one loaned out to me without paying.


>> But you know, I am really getting tired of this site, I think it's time for me to go. From the uDAC controversy to trying to recommend products that GENUINELY sound better than other ones that are hyped a lot more, all I seem to be getting is grief. It's really not worth it. Please, buy your million dollar amps and dacs that sound so much better than gear you have never heard, simply because the price tag is higher. I really can't be bothered anymore. It's just not worth it to me, and takes all my enjoyment. Have fun.
post #51 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by downsize View Post
Seriously though, put away the gloves. I have found my new desktop amp. I'm going to try the RudiStor NX-03 ... All the reviews seem to hear pretty much the same thing , speed, clarity, and slam with transparency.
Good luck with it.
post #52 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by userlander View Post
No, I ended up paying for that, so you have kind of jumped to conclusions there. I got a discount on what I bought - the T-Max and the Dac-Extasy - presumably because I used the "make offer" form on his site, and maybe because I have also bought 2 other things from him, an RM-1, and a HOTUSB1 (which I didn't think was that great), but it is incorrect to say I got one loaned out to me without paying.


>> But you know, I am really getting tired of this site, I think it's time for me to go. From the uDAC controversy to trying to recommend products that GENUINELY sound better than other ones that are hyped a lot more, all I seem to be getting is grief. It's really not worth it. Please, buy your million dollar amps and dacs that sound so much better than gear you have never heard, simply because the price tag is higher. I really can't be bothered anymore. It's just not worth it to me, and takes all my enjoyment. Have fun.
Fair enough mate. I don't doubt you at all but I don't think it is fair to say I jumped to a conclusion. If I did jump to a conclusion it is 1 that any reasonable person would have come to if they saw the conversation and then your comparion with the uDAC. I know you are just trying to help people out and I appreciate it

I was just trying to do the right thing and now you have cleared it up for me.
post #53 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by estreeter View Post
Good luck with it.
Thanks ... I will report back with my opinions.
post #54 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by angle_sh00ter View Post
Fair enough mate. I don't doubt you at all but I don't think it is fair to say I jumped to a conclusion. If I did jump to a conclusion it is 1 that any reasonable person would have come to if they saw the conversation and then your comparion with the uDAC. I know you are just trying to help people out and I appreciate it

I was just trying to do the right thing and now you have cleared it up for me.
Okay - I had completely forgotten about that conversation on the hotaudio forum, to be honest, so I can see where you got that idea. But if you look at the customs form and hotaudio receipt it is clear that I paid for both, and that I own both, I just got a discount like I mentioned, for the reasons I discussed above. Maybe I should have mentioned that, but anyone is free to make an offer just like I did, and I have no idea what he takes and what he doesn't. For all I know, I paid more than most people.

I'm just interested to hear your opinion on the amp so that people don't think I'm crazy (I assure you, I'm not) when I say that *objectively* this is a great sounding amp, far beyond its price point. For *ME,* there is absolutely no doubt or question whatsoever that the T-Max sounds better than the PH100, which is why I use it instead of that amp for my main rig. So I will be very interested to hear what you think (in the other thread, obviously). If you're not happy with it, I can *guarantee* that you would not have been happy with the shanling, either (it's nowhere near as organic sounding), so from that perspective it actually works out the same anyway (except you saved some money ).

Honestly didn't intend to derail this thread so much... I'll bow out now.
post #55 of 59
Mate I got a note in my letter box today saying that a parcel is waiting for me at the post office. I was not expecting anything else so *fingers crossed* I will have my hot little hands on it tomorrow!
post #56 of 59
Ah, back after about a 6 month hiatus from Head-Fi.
Last amp I was thinking about purchasing was the K.I.C.A.S., and not to thread hi-jack too much, but is there anything new in the ~$400 range that's popped up during the last 6 months or so that I should look in to? I already got a tube amp so I definitely wanna go SS.
post #57 of 59
[QUOTE=downsize;6350447]Fellow headfiers, I'm not new to the high end audio world or the great cans of snake oil therein. I've been doing this for 24 years.

Having said that, I just had to experience the horror of storing my beloved hi fi system, and having to exchange said system for the world of headphones ... Of which I am a ignorant newbie.

Having said that, I seriously NEED to get some quality gear to satisfy my jonesing ... I need my fix. Now, I simply DO NOT have the time to wait for a big meet where I can audition and form my own opinions, nor do I have the money to just buy ten of everything and test it all out. So when I buy, I need to buy something that will do what I need it to do. What I need it do is to correctly play THE MOST DIFFICULT music to ever challenge a playback system, and that is fast metal. ( I own over 500 classical CD's, so please don't go there ). I'm sure most decent desktop amps will sound great with most other types of music, but with complex metal most amps fall on their face.

So I need the experienced ones experience when reccomending products. I need the best advice, and I appreciate it when someone knowledgable takes the time to care.

I'm only buying ONE amp, and I need it to be right for me.


I too love classical and fell in love with the Caliente when paired with Grado RS-1 semi-vintage headphones. Unfortunately, the Caliente was on loan from another Head-Fier and haad to return it; then the Caliente went on back-order.

But for classical, very few combinations match the Caliente with the Grado.

O another idea would be the MingDa tube amp but that's another story
post #58 of 59
The next step in a SS amp, above the KICAS, for me is Blue Circle SBH - yes I have both of them. Additionally, if you're not adverse to shopping the used market - IMO Corda Prehead MkII and HA-2 MkII come in a bit above KICAS. None are slouches.
post #59 of 59
Quote:
I'm only buying ONE amp, and I need it to be right for me.
That's a tough one as none of us have your ears. Most of the <$400 amps mentioned will be good contenders, at least IMO based on the ones I have heard personally.

I have listened to the Kicas (Caliente) and for the money it's a hard to beat solid state amp . It was very close to the sound of a Perreaux SXH2 which sells for >$900 new here in Canada. I'd be very happy to use one with my 650s. It's certainly sounded fast enough (although I was listening at a meet and not to metal).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Purity Audio K.I.C.A.S. Caliente ... Can it compete ?