Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Kanen woodies: anyone try these yet?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Kanen woodies: anyone try these yet?

post #1 of 38
Thread Starter 
Kanen KM-880 Stereo Headphone Earphone - Focalprice.com

It says "premium wood" so it must be real, right? I'm sure they are junk but yet I am tempted to buy some just to mess with. Maybe the wood is actually real, and if so could be used to mod some more worthy cans? Or maybe the wood is plastic and it is just fun to laugh at?

Any takers?
post #2 of 38
Thread Starter 
Update: found a (very brief) review, someone actually liked them for the price.

VR2XMQ - Steve's Blog AF through SHF: Full Size Cans: Kanen KM-880 Wooden Headphones.
post #3 of 38
Very intriguing.
post #4 of 38
How would you go worng with $16.71? Wow
post #5 of 38
hopefully the drivers are 50mm, so you can put cd3k/dx1k drivers in it
post #6 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
hopefully the drivers are 50mm, so you can put cd3k/dx1k drivers in it
I do believe that the drivers are 40mm.
post #7 of 38
^Who uses 40mm drivers?

Just googled it, a couple are the Sony MDR-XB500 and M-Audio Q40. Not much else worth noting.
post #8 of 38
For $16.71 (USD) and free shipping, heck, I couldn't resist. The Kanen KM-880 arrived in the mail this afternoon. From Hong Kong to the U.S. -- 10 days after purchase. Not bad.

Click on project86's OP for URL and ordering info. Some first impressions:

- It's billed as a "Monitor DJ Headset"; also for games and iPhones.

- Cable is flimsy with 1/8" plug (1/4" adapter not included) -- plus a small attachable microphone(?).

- The cups are, indeed, made of wood! Earpads, soft leather -- can't tell if it's real or synthetic. The headband looks very flimsy. Plastic.

- Shipped in its see-through plastic box, stuffed in a large padded envelope. I'm surprised it arrived undamaged. OK for free shipping, IMO.

- I have it plugged into the LD MKVII+'s SE 'phone out with a 1/4" adapter.

- Tends toward bright in the mids. Bass is OK, surprisingly punchy and slightly veiled. Highs tend toward tinny, veiled.

- I find myself continually adjusting the volume for different tracks, looking for the best balance. Too loud, and fatigue is immediate.

- I'll have to try it on my portable rigs to see how they compare.

Is it worth it? For the price and my first closed wooden 'phones -- a qualified yes.

ADDED: Instructions on small slip of paper -- in Chinese. No English documentation.
post #9 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing1337 View Post
^Who uses 40mm drivers?

Just googled it, a couple are the Sony MDR-XB500 and M-Audio Q40. Not much else worth noting.
And Ultrasone? Edition 8 and 9 uses 40mm drivers! ATH esw9 uses 42mm, maybe those drivers can be put here
post #10 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing1337 View Post
^Who uses 40mm drivers?

Just googled it, a couple are the Sony MDR-XB500 and M-Audio Q40. Not much else worth noting.
The Edition 9's use 40mm drivers, iirc


edit: beaten to it
post #11 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Doug View Post
The Edition 9's use 40mm drivers, iirc


edit: beaten to it
You can still say that even Grado uses 40mm in their designs! :P
post #12 of 38
sounds like they are worth a buy.
post #13 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marximus View Post
Very intriguing.
intriging indeed..

Quote:
Originally Posted by feifan View Post
For $16.71 (USD) and free shipping, heck, I couldn't resist. The Kanen KM-880 arrived in the mail this afternoon. From Hong Kong to the U.S. -- 10 days after purchase. Not bad.

Click on project86's OP for URL and ordering info. Some first impressions:

- It's billed as a "Monitor DJ Headset"; also for games and iPhones.

- Cable is flimsy with 1/8" plug (1/4" adapter not included) -- plus a small attachable microphone(?).

- The cups are, indeed, made of wood! Earpads, soft leather -- can't tell if it's real or synthetic. The headband looks very flimsy. Plastic.

- Shipped in its see-through plastic box, stuffed in a large padded envelope. I'm surprised it arrived undamaged. OK for free shipping, IMO.

- I have it plugged into the LD MKVII+'s SE 'phone out with a 1/4" adapter.

- Tends toward bright in the mids. Bass is OK, surprisingly punchy and slightly veiled. Highs tend toward tinny, veiled.

- I find myself continually adjusting the volume for different tracks, looking for the best balance. Too loud, and fatigue is immediate.

- I'll have to try it on my portable rigs to see how they compare.

Is it worth it? For the price and my first closed wooden 'phones -- a qualified yes.

ADDED: Instructions on small slip of paper -- in Chinese. No English documentation.
Thanks for the impressions
post #14 of 38
I've had them for a little over a month now. Not particularly impressed with anything about them except the finish of the cups. The rest of the construction is plastic and rather unimpressive. Pads are definitely pleather and get softer over time, but there's not much adjustability to the cups so they aren't very comfortable for prolonged use. I do like the L-plug, which is rather rare on a headphone of this caliber.

Anyway, I've given them close to 250 hours of burn-in in hopes that they will open up but they still sound muddy in the lower registers and nonexistent at the top. The treble is there but it has absolutely no presence in the way these relay music. Clarity, detail, and soundstaging are not worth mentioning.

Are they worth $20? If wood is a factor, than yes. They do look rather unique. Sound-wise they are usable but don't touch my other sub-$20 favorites (KSC75, JVC Flats, Panasonic Slimz) except maybe in bass quantity. Even the $5 Kanen KM-95 clip-ons sound cleaner and more detailed to me. Sorry, no FOTM here.

Obligatory pic:

post #15 of 38
Just received these yesterday. They are absolute poop. Hands down the worst headphone I have heard in a long time.

The thing looks a lot better on the pictures as well. In reality it's a plastic nightmare. I also got the Kanen KM928 IEM and these are much better value (mind you, compared to the abomination that is the KM880). They cost half as much and sound at least slightly enjoyable. I would rank them lower than the Soundmagic PL30 though.

The 880's sound is distant, tinny, small and empty. Ugly, ugly treble, bass is practically nonexistant (even amped) and the mids are so-so. I do not understand the guy that actually liked these. He must have absolutely no reference. I am a very objective listener, always open for the underdog but this is just rubbish. If you have absolutely nothing to spend on a can I suggest you get yourself a Sennheiser HD201/ Koss KSC75 or something. MUCH better value.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Kanen woodies: anyone try these yet?