- 900 Posts. Joined 1/2010
- Location: New York City
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- Should I get these Akg k1000's. Suspicious looking in any way? Last post on 3/22/12 at 3:58pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The "One" Headphone. Last post on 11/10/11 at 1:49pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Would you buy headphones which could be turned into speakers if they competed in quality with... Last post on 11/13/11 at 4:30pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Class D Amp with AKG K1000 Last post on 10/8/11 at 7:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Has anyone tried this product yet? "The Truth pre-amplifier" Last post on 10/15/11 at 12:51pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/5/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
*This is a slightly revised and updated version of my original review from September of 2014. The Bass Colour was a good earphone two years ago and at it's current price of 29.99 USD on Penon Audio...
I bought these over a year ago as an upgrade to the generation 3 of the Piston earphones. I've been a user since generation 2 and I've loved the line up ever since. This simply feels like another...
I took the scenic route to loving these headphones and almost sold it a couple of times. I picked these up for free thanks to a promotion my carrier Freedom mobile was doing where if you buy the LG...
About Me: I came into the world of audio from a guitar background, buying up tube amps from when I was a kid and was always fascinated with them. Then I ended up buying my first decent pair...
Disclaimer: This unit was provided to me by Brannan of Noble Audio to provide the guy’s participating in the massdrop, or those on the fence, with a better idea of what to expect. This is cutting...
How obsessed are you with headphones? - Page 5post #61 of 802/5/10 at 12:32amnumber 9
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #62 of 802/5/10 at 1:07ampost #63 of 802/5/10 at 1:18ampost #64 of 808/28/11 at 12:42am
sad to say i'm a 9 if not a 10. i am seriously obsessed with headphones thats like all i think about now. i can't wait to buy a new pair lolol :P
EDIT: sorry for gravedigging didn't realize this was this oldpost #65 of 808/28/11 at 11:13am
I'd say about a 6.
Normally, I would go higher than that because there are no speakers connected to my flagship desktop, only my AD700s. However, I can't rank it any higher because the AD700s are the best headphones I have by far, and they're rather entry-level by Head-Fi standards.
That may change if I ever get the money for a Stax Lambda setup. It's a lot to spend on headphones for sure (more than I should even think about spending, but I have to know what that electrostatic sound is like), but I simply do not have the room for a good speaker setup. It's less about space and more about acoustic treatment. This isn't even factoring in how speakers tend to be more expensive for a perceived metric of sound quality than headphones.
The other thing is that I have a feeling that headphones with a binaural surround filter can get me even closer to 3D sound than 7.1 ever will, which is more like 2D sound in that all the speakers are still at the same height. Too bad that a lot of modern games are being dumbed down to 7.1 imaging thanks to the prevalence of APIs that pre-mix their sounds to that at the most and stereo at the least instead of just telling the sound device driver where the sounds are in 3D space and letting it handle where and how to play those sounds.
EDIT: I have those Stax Lambdas now...and they are exactly what I've been hoping for.
Still, it's hardly a headphone collection if the only usable full-size headphones I have right now are these Lambdas, the AD700s, and the SS-20. On top of that, I don't feel like expanding past these original generation Lambdas (though I'm told that if I actually get the chance to hear even better Stax, "sorry about your wallet" is going to kick in again). Can't count the MDR-CD180 again until I find a way to get that headband and earcup reunited in a solid manner...or just build a new headband entirely, which would likely be more effort than they're worth.
Edited by NamelessPFG - 9/3/11 at 11:03ampost #66 of 808/28/11 at 11:28am
Sadly, a 9 for me.
But what's funny is I don't listen to music all THAT much. But when I do, I want it to sound *really* good. I'd have to say when I do listen to music, I end up using my cheap portable system a lot more than my stationary desktop rig; even when my desktop rig is MUCH more costly. But this hobby is just to much fun just to sit and spectate. I have to constantly buy, compare, and analyze headphones. Usually, I'm never satisfied, so I keep trying more and more. But yeah, every bit of extra money goes straight toward audio. Actually, even when I don't have "extra" money, I still spend it on audio...post #67 of 808/28/11 at 11:35ampost #68 of 808/28/11 at 6:53pm
3 because I usually listen to speakers. Headphones will always be used mostly for portability.post #69 of 808/28/11 at 7:19pmQuote:Originally Posted by Katun
Sadly, a 9 for me.
But what's funny is I don't listen to music all THAT much. But when I do, I want it to sound *really* good. I'd have to say when I do listen to music, I end up using my cheap portable system a lot more than my stationary desktop rig; even when my desktop rig is MUCH more costly. But this hobby is just to much fun just to sit and spectate. I have to constantly buy, compare, and analyze headphones. Usually, I'm never satisfied, so I keep trying more and more. But yeah, every bit of extra money goes straight toward audio. Actually, even when I don't have "extra" money, I still spend it on audio...
Classic case of 'Serious chronic Audiophilia' right there
'When you listen to your gear more than the actual music'
I'm a #6 by the look of things.
Edited by Gwarmi - 8/28/11 at 7:21pmpost #70 of 808/28/11 at 7:19pmpost #71 of 808/28/11 at 7:48pm
Am obsessed within reason keeping things under the hundred fifty dollar range and am the same way with speakers. Pretty amazing what is available at such low prices. My most expensive headphones are some Audio Technica Ath Ad700 for just over a hundred. Recently brought a spare Koss UR-40 not as a backup but to enjoy the different sound signature of the titanium drivers which my other pair dont have. Am pretty satisfied right now with my setup so i'll probably quit with the purchases and just soak up audio knowledge while enjoying what i got.post #72 of 808/28/11 at 8:14pmpost #73 of 808/28/11 at 9:17pm
6 or 7, my collection is getting there and i don't even have a big obnoxious amp yet. I knew soon people will start saying "why do you have so many" since i have them on stands on a shelf displayed in my room, don't have a SO. I want to buy a tube amp eventually, i have a CMoy and if i should get one of those beefy desktop setups i'm sure people are going to ask. I wonder if i will get a real response or just a "you're crazy! I just buy a cheap pair from radioshack and i'm good" Reason why i'm here is because i was thinking of upgrading the speakers on the HT but then realized i rarely even get the chance to push them, also for my type of music i don't really want to play it too loudly, headphones are the place to put my money. Having a small living room i ditched the rear speakers and wish i could just put the front ones in some sort of enclosure inside the wall and drape the screen over them so i don't have to see all the trinkets, i like to keep things tidy.
I want a new receiver -Denon- for HD audio codecs and a few nice features, now thanks to this place i'm wondering if it'll be a nice upgrade for my phones through the Ps3? IDK if i would buy a standalone CD player since i don't really have room for it and they are pretty expensive.........i did want to upgrade my PC speakers from Logitech, but then i wondered "what for?", will probably settle for some Dayton bookshelfs.
Edited by Astrozombie - 8/28/11 at 9:27pmpost #74 of 808/28/11 at 10:08pm
Between 5 and 6, I use my HD650s at night so everyone else can sleep and I love the fact that they always sound perfect (I know the HD650s aren't precisely neutral, but their dark color is music to my ears) whereas my speakers are held back by the rooms they are in and I don't want to deal with room treatments yet.
If I compare perfect headphones to perfect speakers in a perfect room, I prefer listening to speakers but among the gear I have hooked up to my computer, my HD650s are better than my Audioengine A5s.
- How obsessed are you with headphones?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Headphone Impedance
- › Trinity Audio Engineering - What the future holds 20 seconds ago
- › Upcoming DAP from xDuoo - the X10! 33 seconds ago
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi |... 44 seconds ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 53 seconds ago
- › Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review 2 minutes ago
- › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution 3 minutes ago
- › LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › The Zishan dsd's corner 3 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 4 minutes ago
- › Cypherus Audio Products Appreciation and Discussion Thread:... 4 minutes ago
- › Don Scorpio Bass Colour by B9Scrambler
- › Xiaomi Mi Hybrid Earphone In-Ear Headphones Multi-unit Circle Iron... by junhawng
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H3 by 8hours
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by SeeSax
- › Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM by WCDchee
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by Trevayne10
- › NiNTAUS X10 HiFi Lossless Music Player by crabdog
- › Vibro Labs Maya quad armature in-ear monitors by FortisFlyer75
- › Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 DAC by davehg
- › AKG K 420 Foldable Mini Headphone - Blue by Johannus
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear