Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K701- big disappointment
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K701- big disappointment

post #1 of 116
Thread Starter 
hello there people.
I just got to hear today my new combination of AKG K701 and ASUS Xonar Essence STX.

I guess I did expect much, but this sound of AKG K701 is a big disappointment for me.

The sound is not that deatiled, too loud, with much of sounds who runs over the low sounds like you can't hear too many in the song. just pain in my ears... I have got a way better sound in my old Sennehiser EH150 with my new STX!

This is really the amazing quallity of the famous AKG K701?
I heard that I have to drive them like 1000 hours to get the really sound of them, but I really don't think that's what makes them sounds so bad...

Btw, I choose to drive them on High gain in my STX driver.

And sorry for my english...
post #2 of 116

You're kidding right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayz View Post
hello there people.
I just got to hear today my new combination of AKG K701 and ASUS Xonar Essence STX.

I guess I did expect much, but this sound of AKG K701 is a big disappointment for me.

The sound is not that deatiled, too loud, with much of sounds who runs over the low sounds like you can't hear too many in the song. just pain in my ears... I have got a way better sound in my old Sennehiser EH150 with my new STX!

This is really the amazing quallity of the famous AKG K701?
I heard that I have to drive them like 1000 hours to get the really sound of them, but I really don't think that's what makes them sounds so bad...

Btw, I choose to drive them on High gain in my STX driver.

And sorry for my english...
Not that detailed? This side of the HD800s and T1s, the K701/2s are the most detailed cans I've ever heard. Where they damaged? Was the amp damaged...are your ears damaged?

I guess we all hear differently...I would really try them in another setup and if they're new give them at least 100 hours of burn in before making a final decision would be my best advice.
post #3 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post
Not that detailed? This side of the HD800s and T1s, the K701/2s are the most detailed cans I've ever heard. Where they damaged? Was the amp damaged...are your ears damaged?

I guess we all hear differently...I would really try them in another setup and if they're new give them at least 100 hours of burn in before making a final decision would be my best advice.
He wasn't really using an amp.....
post #4 of 116

Oh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmore View Post
He wasn't really using an amp.....
That would explain it...as amazing as the K701/2s are they really need a great solid state amp to hit their potential...otherwise...I'd look elsewhere.
post #5 of 116
Thread Starter 
reviews said the STX's amp is really great amp for the K701, more than any mediocre amp...
post #6 of 116
LMAO @ bold text.

I also got a pair of Sennehiser Eh150 that i used for only 2 months, i really wanted to love it, but it was so ****ing uncomfortable. Then i went hifi and stepped it up with beyerdynamic dt880/LD MKIII and could not be any happier.

that Xonar Essence STX combo with the AKG 701 way too overrated. You need a more powerful desktop amp(preferably tube) to unleash the Legendary AKG 701's true potential.

I have heard the AKG's 701 with HeadRoom Micro headphone amp. it was a match made in heaven. superb crisp and refined texture. But these cans were not my cup of tea.
post #7 of 116
Check out and see if you use any EQ presets.
post #8 of 116
Try running them out of a half-decent amp and give them another try imo. Canamp, Compass, etc.
post #9 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by David.M View Post
that Xonar Essence STX combo with the AKG 701 way too overrated. You need a more powerful desktop amp(preferably solid state) to unleash the Legendary AKG 701's true potential.
Fixed that for ya.
post #10 of 116
Thread Starter 
Thanks.
But... please you guys don't laugh at me if i'm gonna say something really stupid- but the amp doesn't have much to do with the sound of the headphones but their's volume, am I right?

And anyway... it has to be at least good quality with the STX's amp... so I still don't understand it...

Acix, I just checked it out, it's negative...
post #11 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayz View Post
hello there people.
I just got to hear today my new combination of AKG K701 and ASUS Xonar Essence STX.

I guess I did expect much, but this sound of AKG K701 is a big disappointment for me.

The sound is not that deatiled, too loud, with much of sounds who runs over the low sounds like you can't hear too many in the song. just pain in my ears... I have got a way better sound in my old Sennehiser EH150 with my new STX!

This is really the amazing quallity of the famous AKG K701?
I heard that I have to drive them like 1000 hours to get the really sound of them, but I really don't think that's what makes them sounds so bad...

Btw, I choose to drive them on High gain in my STX driver.

And sorry for my english...
Source Source and Source. The AKG 701 are very detailed and the most neutral cans I own. Then they need good components to really shine. That being said. I would check your amp and sources burn the cans in and then make a determination. Otherwise return them for something else.
post #12 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayz View Post
Thanks.
But... please you guys don't laugh at me if i'm gonna say something really stupid- but the amp doesn't have much to do with the sound of the headphones but their's volume, am I right?

And anyway... it has to be at least good quality with the STX's amp... so I still don't understand it...

Acix, I just checked it out, it's negative...

Alot more than volume. And I really doubt that the STX has anywhere near the output that the k701s crave.
post #13 of 116
If you are going to stay with your soundcard, get a less demanding can. Otherwise, save up about $500 for a decent used amp.
post #14 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayz View Post
Thanks.
But... please you guys don't laugh at me if i'm gonna say something really stupid- but the amp doesn't have much to do with the sound of the headphones but their's volume, am I right?

And anyway... it has to be at least good quality with the STX's amp... so I still don't understand it...

Acix, I just checked it out, it's negative...
No, power is how the driver is controlled, and that has a strong effect on tone and frequency balance.

The k701 will reveal the deficiencies of your amp and source. This has been talked to death around here.
post #15 of 116
Thread Starter 
I will buy a really good amp one in the future if i'll be sure that the problem is really the source...

Look, I didn't expect for max' quallity and details with my STX, but I didn't expect to find it really bad...

it's too loud and unpleasant in my ears...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K701- big disappointment