Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Is the HD800 overpriced?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is the HD800 overpriced? - Page 34

post #496 of 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post

Do you?

 

Mostly just debunking your nonsensical posts.

post #497 of 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisenhower View Post

 

Mostly just debunking your nonsensical posts.

 

Ok then yes as you say, frankly the HD800 is bargain basement pricing. Absolutely no chance at all of it being even remotely overpriced.

post #498 of 684
Depending on shipping, cost of materials at specific areas, and various taxes the same product maaay cost differently if it's manufactured or sold at different places. But not going to argue, just leaving my thoughts here.
post #499 of 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisenhower View Post

 

Mostly just debunking your nonsensical posts.

 

If they are nonsensical to you then they actually make perfect sense.

post #500 of 684

I think that the price of the HD800s (and other high-end headphones and IEMs) is mostly derived from the "whatever the market will bear" philosophy. The old formula, (retail price = 4X cost to make), is not used. For high-end stuff it is more like (4X the cost to make + high-end adjustment). The "high-end adjustment" is where the "whatever-the-market-will-bear" is estimated.

 

So, if the HD800 actually costs $350 to make... $1400 retail is a "reasonable" price. That is possible, I suppose, depending on quantities built, manufacturing sophistication, etc. etc. If they are completely fabricated in Germany, then the high cost of labor there would contribute to keeping the manufacturing cost high. IF each set is completely hand made, starting with the raw materials, by a single German craftsman, then $1400 is an incredible bargain.

 

Just my 4¢.

post #501 of 684

I have never heard the HD800 but I think that something like £600 would be a good price for them considering the other headphones available. eg. the HD650 cost about £300.

post #502 of 684

The HD800 is not overpriced as it is the BEST dynamic headphone still in production.

post #503 of 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by wink View Post

The HD800 is not overpriced as it is the BEST dynamic headphone still in production.

I've just thought over it, and it's crazy for anyone to call this headphone overpriced if you are to compare with other flagship headphones.

 

It's in fact a bargain headphone when compared to the likes of the LCD3, PS1000, TH900, STAX SR007/009, and other discontinued phones such as the K1000, Sony Qualia 010/ R10, and Grado HP series.

 

The only other headphone that I can think of which is close in performance and cheaper priced than the HD800's is the HE6; another great headphone. The LCD2 and HE500 are also good values, but also on a significant lower echelon of performance.

 

There, I said it.

post #504 of 684
Quote:

Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post

 

 The LCD2 and HE500 are also good values, but also on a significant lower echelon of performance.

 

There, I said it.

 

Those are fighting words. I can see the HE-500 as worse than HD800 but i find it to be better value than HD800. (not to say HD800 is bad value cause as i also believe that HD800 is the best non-discontinued dynamic phone but i can see preference for the T1 for some) But i personally find LCD2 and HD800 to be different style of phones on relativel equal footing.

 

Although it is my own opinion I think it only makes sense to claim that LCD2 is significantly lower echolon if you think that ultimate neutrality and accurate reproduction = greatness of a headphone. I personally prefer more colored sounding phones (and im sure there are many others such as myself) and would disagree that HD800 is above LCD2 by a significant margin if by a noticeable margin at all to begin with

post #505 of 684

This thread is sort of pointless because it is up the the buyer to decide if they find the item worth the money, for example a certain stamp to a stamp collector is worth £1000, to most people that is ridiculous. Objectively most flagship headphones are overpriced compared to mid range headphones, but it is up to the buyer to decide if they are worth the money.

post #506 of 684
For me 3 years ago, it's overpriced. Now, it's a bargain.
post #507 of 684

Is the HD800 overpriced in terms of R&D, materials and market trends for high end headphones : Probably Yes

 

Is the HD800 overpriced if the individual thinks they are worth the money? : No

post #508 of 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyner View Post

Those are fighting words. I can see the HE-500 as worse than HD800 but i find it to be better value than HD800. (not to say HD800 is bad value cause as i also believe that HD800 is the best non-discontinued dynamic phone but i can see preference for the T1 for some) But i personally find LCD2 and HD800 to be different style of phones on relativel equal footing.

Although it is my own opinion I think it only makes sense to claim that LCD2 is significantly lower echolon if you think that ultimate neutrality and accurate reproduction = greatness of a headphone. I personally prefer more colored sounding phones (and im sure there are many others such as myself) and would disagree that HD800 is above LCD2 by a significant margin if by a noticeable margin at all to begin with
It's a valid point, the LCD2 are fantastic musical headphones for musical enjoyment and excitement, and I said it myself. But I think the extra few hundred for the 800 gets you a more complete product. Audez'e and Hifiman don't quite have the budget yet to make something outstanding in all regards, but they're getting there. I'm glad they put sound first, hence their successes.
post #509 of 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post


It's a valid point, the LCD2 are fantastic musical headphones for musical enjoyment and excitement, and I said it myself. But I think the extra few hundred for the 800 gets you a more complete product. Audez'e and Hifiman don't quite have the budget yet to make something outstanding in all regards, but they're getting there. I'm glad they put sound first, hence their successes.

 

I believe that the only thing sennheiser's budget has over Audeze or Hifiman is a the ability to market and convince everyone that their new products are superior. I can't think of any way in which the HD800 excels past the LCD-2 or HE-6. I would place it among the T1 as a great dynamic headphone, but one that just won't keep up in the end. 

 

Bam! Those are some fighting words there. 


Edited by elwappo99 - 7/2/13 at 11:22am
post #510 of 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post

 

I believe that the only thing sennheiser's budget has over Audeze or Hifiman is a the ability to market and convince everyone that their new products are superior. I can't think of any way in which the HD800 excels past the LCD-2 or HE-6. I would place it among the T1 as a great dynamic headphone, but one that just won't keep up in the end. 

 

Bam! Those are some fighting words there. 

Aha, different strokes for different folks. I'm among those who agrees the LCD3 is worth almost twice the price of the LCD2; I guess I justify the accurate representation on sound more than anything.

 

I've owned the HD800, HE6, LCD3, LCD2 and HE500 for those wondering.


Edited by dleblanc343 - 7/2/13 at 4:33pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Is the HD800 overpriced?