Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Is the HD800 overpriced?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is the HD800 overpriced? - Page 30

post #436 of 684

^ indeed. All the high end headphone companies can all agree too keep prices high rather than spark a price war. Its classic game theory wink_face.gif

 

(@nicholars) just out of curiousty though what headphone would be consider to have a just price then? (I also believe these flagships to be bit expensive but i do not find it wrong or unusual personally)

post #437 of 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyner View Post

^ indeed. All the high end headphone companies can all agree too keep prices high rather than spark a price war. Its classic game theory wink_face.gif

 

(@nicholars) just out of curiousty though what headphone would be consider to have a just price then? (I also believe these flagships to be bit expensive but i do not find it wrong or unusual personally)

 

No I do not either because they are premium products and if you want them and have the money then they are worth it, I was just saying that objectively in things like materials and R&D the flagship headphones are overpriced compared to mid-range headphones. I think lots of headphones are worth the money, but I have yet to try a headphone in my price range which does not have any obvious compromises, D2000,  HD650, Sennheiser Momentum, UE6000 all of these are good and worth the money I think but they all have compromises, if you want a pair of headphones which does everything very well then you have no choice but to make the massive price jump from these mid-range to the flagship headphones. I actually think the UE6000 are good value, at the price I paid (£100 on ebay), they are not amazing sound quality, but they do not really do anything wrong either, HD600 are another good value headphone.


Edited by nicholars - 6/25/13 at 5:13am
post #438 of 684
I think Hifiman is a very good indication of budget priced flagships; almost everything they make punches out of its weight class.

As for Sennheiser having the ability to make a perfect headphone for less, I agree; but they have to run a business. I have to say my HD800's are definitely worth having, and I think it's forever going to be the best dynamic headphone; you can't really improve on them with that type of driver imo. Expect Senns next flagship to be an electrostat... And it being overpriced :/
post #439 of 684

hopfully i'll be cheaper than the Orpheus lol

 

btw i love my Hifiman 500. Best decision ever

post #440 of 684

Basically I am just bitter because I want some flagship headphones but I cannot afford them! I think the only one I will be able to afford would be the HE-500.

post #441 of 684

Well i was able to buy one cause i scrapped together a good deal of my intern money. I still can't believe that i'm interning as a computer programmer writing algorithms for image processing and they're paying me essentially $5.5 an hour (i work 40 hours a week). Its slave labor i tell you!! And damn you korea, for being so cheap. I could make more money working at a Mc Donalds in america.

post #442 of 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyner View Post

Well i was able to buy one cause i scrapped together a good deal of my intern money. I still can't believe that i'm interning as a computer programmer writing algorithms for image processing and they're paying me essentially $5.5 an hour (i work 40 hours a week). Its slave labor i tell you!! And damn you korea, for being so cheap. I could make more money working at a Mc Donalds in america.
What?!? :s
post #443 of 684

Deleted off topic


Edited by nicholars - 6/25/13 at 7:32am
post #444 of 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post

 

Did I say you did?

 

 

So if I dislike the way they sound, I should think they are worth every penny then?

 

Yeah, you did.

And I said it is possible to both dislike the headphone's sound signature, and also not think they are overpriced.

Simply saying you dislike the sound signature does NOT means they are overpriced.

 

You are quite insufferable.

post #445 of 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

The reason why I think they are overpriced is because someone like Sennheiser could blatantly design and make an almost perfect, reference quality headphone and sell it at £500 and still make a good profit.

 

 

Your opinion is not based in reality. You are basically saying, "because Sennheiser could overprice the HD800, they must be overpriced"

That is nonsense.

post #446 of 684

I have to say, if $300 - $500 headphones that sounded as good as the HD800 were the norm, I feel like the world would be a better place for high end audio. Nowadays we have Beats-mania and then the 5% that sees them for the garbage they are and are interested in the higher end stuff. I kind of hoped Momentums would be enough to destroy Beats in the market at that price range, but I don't think they are good enough.

 

I just wonder what the overall audio market would be like if top notch phones like the HD800 were more accessible. They are definitely a different experience to listen to, compared to most headphones. Intense.

 

Of course, that would mean the HD600 would likely be a $100 headphone and the HD650 would likely be $150...lol


Edited by GoldfishX - 6/25/13 at 10:03am
post #447 of 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisenhower View Post

 

 

Your opinion is not based in reality. You are basically saying, "because Sennheiser could overprice the HD800, they must be overpriced"

That is nonsense.

 

No it isn't just you cannot read properly or something?

post #448 of 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

No it isn't just you cannot read properly or something?

 

You actually did say this. If this isn't what you meant, maybe you should work on your ability to write sentences?

 

You are assuming, based on NO evidence, that Sennheiser could make this headphone for cheaper and make a profit. Where is your evidence?

post #449 of 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisenhower View Post

 

You actually did say this. If this isn't what you meant, maybe you should work on your ability to write sentences?

 

You are assuming, based on NO evidence, that Sennheiser could make this headphone for cheaper and make a profit. Where is your evidence?

 

Ok then you are right and I am 100% wrong.

 

Manufacturers are 100% transparent and would not even consider price fixing or anything similar. Also I saw a fairy the other day floating around on a little spaceship.


Edited by nicholars - 6/25/13 at 1:34pm
post #450 of 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

Manufacturers are 100% transparent and would not even consider price fixing or anything similar. Also I saw a fairy the other day floating around on a little spaceship.

 

Yeah, I'm not sure I'd equate denial of baseless accusations of price fixing with believing with fairies...

 

Good luck with that.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Is the HD800 overpriced?