Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Is the HD800 overpriced?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is the HD800 overpriced? - Page 24

post #346 of 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallan View Post


So the HD-800 is over priced............the Stax SR-009-a great headphone but you need an amp that costs over $5000. as well as the HP to get it to sound better than the 800 sound with a $2000. amp.  And see below for their price.....

Nope. 009s sound better with just the SRM-717 or 727, so do 007s. Heck, they sound fantastic with my Woo WEE and my old Kenwood M2A. $5000+ amps are nice, the BHSE is something special, but it isn't a necessity.

Do I think the HD800s are overpriced? Hell no. They just aren't my flavor of sound.
post #347 of 684

The question for each is, It is if it is worth it to you.  Quite a rude comment or assumption as well that i would post another ten pictures.  It was just a quick copy for a point.  The point being that the 800s are just another good can that is priced now like many and even cheaper than the LCD-3 or the ED-8 LE and not as insanely expensive as the 009.  They don't stand out as being any more unreasonable than alternatives and many claim they outperform those alternatives.  If you don't then guess you have to keep looking.  For me they are just one in my arsenal.   

post #348 of 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallan View Post

The question for each is, It is if it is worth it to you.  Quite a rude comment or assumption as well that i would post another ten pictures.  It was just a quick copy for a point.  The point being that the 800s are just another good can that is priced now like many and even cheaper than the LCD-3 or the ED-8 LE and not as insanely expensive as the 009.  They don't stand out as being any more unreasonable than alternatives and many claim they outperform those alternatives.  If you don't then guess you have to keep looking.  For me they are just one in my arsenal.   

Didn't mean to be rude.
But I don't see the point of posting pictures of the sr-009 just for that.
I'm sure most of us know it exists... And how gosh darn expensive it is too.
post #349 of 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil3nce View Post

Didn't mean to be rude.
But I don't see the point of posting pictures of the sr-009 just for that.
I'm sure most of us know it exists... And how gosh darn expensive it is too.
Is it? Is the 009 expensive? Sure, that's a good chunk of coin, but considering what you'd have to pay to get a 2ch speaker system that can compete with it, it's actually pretty darned reasonable.
post #350 of 684

The only why i could get a quick copy without taking all day that included the price in dollars, and the picts didn't hurt anything.  Boy, some people.

post #351 of 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post


Is it? Is the 009 expensive? Sure, that's a good chunk of coin, but considering what you'd have to pay to get a 2ch speaker system that can compete with it, it's actually pretty darned reasonable.


Whatever, you could get a speaker rig that would beat it in every way for less money.

 

Maggies + sub + power amp.  bam. 

post #352 of 684
^yea. people tend to exaggerate the cost of a good stereo system especially if the person does not mind doing little reading/researching. you don't have to have the perfectly acoustic environment as well either.
post #353 of 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Nope. 009s sound better with just the SRM-717 or 727, so do 007s. Heck, they sound fantastic with my Woo WEE and my old Kenwood M2A. $5000+ amps are nice, the BHSE is something special, but it isn't a necessity.

probably because those 5000+ amps use close to the design method as the kenwood. lot of amps nowadays use the same method as they did in the 70's and 80's. like the harman kardon hk 770 dual-mono power amp i have that use ultra high bandwidth and minimum use of negative feedback and good/low TIM distortion in the design is used in modern expensive pro amps and i believe nelson pass uses it as well in his designs. same thing with yamaha. current yamaha power amps pro/consumer are based off their famous 80's M series power amps. just cost more cause nowadays is crap load more expensive for same quality parts due to the value of the current dollar.
Edited by RexAeterna - 5/9/12 at 12:28am
post #354 of 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post

My above statements about neutrality in the HD 800 and HE-6 need to be qualified, because I have and will continue to debate endlessly that there is no such thing as perfect neutrality,

 

I agree that there is no such think as perfect neutrality, and I said it earlier.

 

But the HD 800 are very revealing and will show up the differences in the choice and placement of microphones and other decisions the recording engineer made.

 

So we need to be very careful as what we hear is not necessarily the headphones themselves, but what is earlier in the chain.

 

That's all I was trying to say.

post #355 of 684
Not so much when compared to PS1000
post #356 of 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmdevils View Post


Whatever, you could get a speaker rig that would beat it in every way for less money.

Maggies + sub + power amp.  bam. 
Better in every way for $7k? Sorry, but I disagree.
post #357 of 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post

But the HD 800 are very revealing and will show up the differences in the choice and placement of microphones and other decisions the recording engineer made.

 

So we need to be very careful as what we hear is not necessarily the headphones themselves, but what is earlier in the chain.

 

That's all I was trying to say.

Agreed, but my Sony SA5000, which the HD800 is supposed to have "borrowed" some of its design features from, is even more revealing and in many cases a far better set of cans to listen to. I prefer the Sony with good quality high res files. They are unforgiving with grainy rips and low res mp3. The HD800 would however be willing to attempt playing those kind of files with more willingness.

post #358 of 684

In my opinion they are overpriced. But however i think the price is part of their appeal. If HD800 were priced lower, they wouldnt be as well regarded as they are now. Neverthless they are quality headphones with superior construction, comfort and built to last.

post #359 of 684

Damn straight they are overpriced....in Australia. $2000 RRP, you tell me if that's overpriced or not.

post #360 of 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by niranhopper View Post

In my opinion they are overpriced. But however i think the price is part of their appeal. If HD800 were priced lower, they wouldnt be as well regarded as they are now. Neverthless they are quality headphones with superior construction, comfort and built to last.

 

confused_face_2.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Is the HD800 overpriced?