Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Is the HD800 overpriced?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is the HD800 overpriced? - Page 18

post #256 of 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
It's better than the Orpheus, which people readily respect and buy for sometimes ten times the HD800's price.

The HD800 should be priced at $5,000 just to keep the riff raff from buying a pair, listening to them poorly amped, and then giving them a bad rep on head-fi.


You mean anyone who can't afford $5000 are riff-raff?

I put it to you that if they were priced at $5000, they'd sound even better with the very same amps. Aristocracy... hopeless set...
post #257 of 684
The price of HD800 in JAPAN is no less than 1800$ , and used O2 1000$ ( even unused O2mk2 is less than 1800$ ).

Few says HD800 is overpriced , no one says O2 is underpriced here.
Many people say HD800 is a little better to listen classics , better to listen the other musics , although HD800 and O2 sounds same all over the world (I believe).

I guess that the price of them would determines how they sound .

High-priced products sound as high-end because of ther price .
It may be the result of Senns Investigation
post #258 of 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by euphorious View Post
High-priced products sound as high-end because of ther price .
It may be the result of Senns Investigation
I don't know from where I had read that Senn did plan to go high on the HD800 price because of the perception that goes with that price tag. They thought it harmed the HD650's reputation and place among the highend cans.
post #259 of 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimlink View Post
I don't know from where I had read that Senn did plan to go high on the HD800 price because of the perception that goes with that price tag. They thought it harmed the HD650's reputation and place among the highend cans.
So we can have the HD800 and HD650 at the same time and enjoy

I don't think HD800 worth 5 x HD650 , guess worth more than 3x HD650 .
(it might be an ordinary suggestion here)
post #260 of 684

Absolutely...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimlink View Post
I don't know from where I had read that Senn did plan to go high on the HD800 price because of the perception that goes with that price tag. They thought it harmed the HD650's reputation and place among the highend cans.
It has also negatively affected the Denon D7000s that could be had for under $600.
post #261 of 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post
It has also negatively affected the Denon D7000s that could be had for under $600.
On contrare, I'd say that it's the D7000's price and appearance that has assisted its current status. Once you set the price, it'll be automatically compared to cans at that price range. We tend to be far more inclined to give the cans the benefit of the doubt, rather than the other way around. IOW's, if you say the D7000's are not worth their price, as some are doing with the HD800's, just put on your asbestos suit and get ready for the comments that will follow. In the same way, if you say that can x is on par with can y that's 5 times its price, then you had better quickly put on your asbestos suit. Some of these claims may be true, while many may be unjustified; but it's this sort of mind game that's at play here and why the price point is so crucial.

PS// I think my Avatar has a way too serious expression for this forum. I had better change it soon. I have a set like my headphones.
post #262 of 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimlink View Post
On contrare, I'd say that it's the D7000's price and appearance that has assisted its current status. Once you set the price, it'll be automatically compared to cans at that price range. We tend to be far more inclined to give the cans the benefit of the doubt, rather than the other way around. IOW's, if you say the D7000's are not worth their price, as some are doing with the HD800's, just put on your asbestos suit and get ready for the comments that will follow. In the same way, if you say that can x is on par with can y that's 5 times its price, then you had better quickly put on your asbestos suit. Some of these claims may be true, while many may be unjustified; but it's this sort of mind game that's at play here and why the price point is so crucial.

PS// I think my Avatar has a way too serious expression for this forum. I had better change it soon. I have a set like my headphones.
I agree with your thoughts, but being a former owner, the D7000s to me where in the same league as the other $1k + headphones. They were my favourite closed cans. But I can certainly see your argument too .
post #263 of 684
The golden rule to find out if a product is overpriced or not is to see how much it sells for second hand.
post #264 of 684
Isn't it how often it's being sold used?
post #265 of 684
No, since that would depend on availability. There are very few HD800 around, and likely to be for sometime.

K701 retails for $260 and it sells used not less than $180 for one in good condition. The same goes for HD600 which is really old (released 1996?).
post #266 of 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post
I agree with your thoughts, but being a former owner, the D7000s to me where in the same league as the other $1k + headphones. They were my favourite closed cans. But I can certainly see your argument too .
If there's one thing about the D7000 it's that it looks great. Many pay that amount for something to simply put on a display. So even if it didn't sound great, one would still be on about the looks.

The HE-5's are interestingly spartan for the apparent sound quality. That's likely why it's so reasonably priced. Despite comments about its relatively low cost to performance ratio, not many are flocking to it. This is why Denon went the route of making them great-looking. We often say that it's really only about the sound, but is it really???
post #267 of 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimlink View Post
If there's one thing about the D7000 it's that it looks great. Many pay that amount for something to simply put on a display. So even if it didn't sound great, one would still be on about the looks.

The HE-5's are interestingly spartan for the apparent sound quality. That's likely why it's so reasonably priced. Despite comments about its relatively low cost to performance ratio, not many are flocking to it. This is why Denon went the route of making them great-looking. We often say that it's really only about the sound, but is it really???
I thought (and many other happy owners) that they sounded fantastic.

On another note, much less intimidating avatar and very appropriate!
post #268 of 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post
I thought (and many other happy owners) that they sounded fantastic.

On another note, much less intimidating avatar and very appropriate!
For them to sell the way they do, I'm sure that sound quality had a lot to do with it. I was a happy D5000 owner until I got curious about the Ed8's. I'm not being as hard as you may think. I'm more one who thinks that the law of diminishing returns is currently pretty severe among cans once you go above say $350. I use the $350 mark since I can confirm the worth of the K701/2's when compared to cans a lot more expensive that it is.


It was my daughter that put me on to my cyborg avatar and another POV that it could generate.
post #269 of 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by wali View Post
No, since that would depend on availability. There are very few HD800 around, and likely to be for sometime.

K701 retails for $260 and it sells used not less than $180 for one in good condition. The same goes for HD600 which is really old (released 1996?).
I see what you mean....
post #270 of 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Erik View Post
You left fashion and prestige out.

If there are cheap R10 copies around that everyone can afford, they will lose their magical reputation overnight.

You'll notice that the status of audio gear depends directly on price and how difficult it is to get.
I agree. This reminds me of some of trends in the Pro Audio market. Take for example, the Chinese factory 989 Studios, which makes clones of both Neumann microphones (the Studio Projects C3) and Trident consoles (the Toft).

The knock off products, in that case, do in fact have a reputation for great sound, especially for the price. But I don't think their existence in the market has had any negative effect on sales of real Neumann microphones, nor real higher end consoles. Major studios and reputable sound guys still buy the originals, partly for quality control reasons, and partly because clients are more likely to pay for services if you have "real" brand name equipment.

I suspect that the same thing would happen in headphones if someone did a knock off of the HD800. People would admit that it sounds good, but it would have little to no effect on sales of the "real" product.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Is the HD800 overpriced?