Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › Looking to build some Voigt Pipes. Anyone got experience?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking to build some Voigt Pipes. Anyone got experience?

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
These will be my first D.I.Y. speakers, I've decided on the voigt pipe design because of it's simple design and incredible reviews. I'm thinking about using these: Pioneer A11EC80-02F 4-1/2" Full Range Driver for the drivers. I need your help picking the right wood, and getting the correct dimensions, stuffing, etc...

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Nick,
post #2 of 6
Yes, I built a pair years ago. I used a pair of Fostex 207E's at first then a pair of the once popular Radio Shacks (the fostex extended better and had better clarity but the cheap RS sounded better - more "musical"). They are easy to build and a nice first speaker project. But I cannot provide any info if your selected driver is a good match. You can always start with any driver and replace them with a driver up to 8". If you go bigger, jig a larger hole - if you go back to smaller build a wood cover over the hole and jig a new hole into your cover.
I assume you already read this (it's what I followed) Single Driver Website
Single Driver Website
For wood, 3/4" birch ply for most speaker projects. I glued thick carpet behind the driver to reduce internal reflections and used cheap pillow casing fluff, stuffed very loose, in the area above the driver. I saw no point in the "wings" used in the article and also did not use the "pressure screw" although I bet it is worthwhile to try.
Good Luck.
post #3 of 6
I built a number of voight pipes/transmission lines a number of years ago.

I used small rat shack driver like macm75 for a set and a big Pioneer 8" full range in a folded horn. I simply used MDF for the speakers cabinets.

I would look here for info on some pipes Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design

Don't be a afraid to get a sub into the mix.
post #4 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by macm75 View Post
Yes, I built a pair years ago. I used a pair of Fostex 207E's at first then a pair of the once popular Radio Shacks (the fostex extended better and had better clarity but the cheap RS sounded better - more "musical"). They are easy to build and a nice first speaker project. But I cannot provide any info if your selected driver is a good match. You can always start with any driver and replace them with a driver up to 8". If you go bigger, jig a larger hole - if you go back to smaller build a wood cover over the hole and jig a new hole into your cover.
I assume you already read this (it's what I followed) Single Driver Website
Single Driver Website
For wood, 3/4" birch ply for most speaker projects. I glued thick carpet behind the driver to reduce internal reflections and used cheap pillow casing fluff, stuffed very loose, in the area above the driver. I saw no point in the "wings" used in the article and also did not use the "pressure screw" although I bet it is worthwhile to try.
Good Luck.
Actually I haven't come across this site, Thanks for the link. I was under the impression that the dimensions of the box had to coincide with the specifications of your driver as do many other D.I.Y. speakers. The A11 driver has gotten great ratings for it's price range and is even said to beat some higher quality drivers. The option to upgrade the driver is another great selling point for this design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeEast View Post
I built a number of voight pipes/transmission lines a number of years ago.

I used small rat shack driver like macm75 for a set and a big Pioneer 8" full range in a folded horn. I simply used MDF for the speakers cabinets.

I would look here for info on some pipes Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design

Don't be a afraid to get a sub into the mix.
What do you mean by getting a sub into the mix? as in making another box for a subwoofer?
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whig Bong View Post
What do you mean by getting a sub into the mix? as in making another box for a subwoofer?
It means the bass is a bit weak for this type of speaker. You are only using a single 4.5" driver.
post #6 of 6
I would second the recommendation for a support sub.

I was recently given (w00t!) a pair of truly beautifully made voigt pipes with the old Radio-shack 4" driver (Im pretty sure it was made by fostex, and based on the 103 from what the internet says) and got to listen to them in the builders house. Very nice stuff!

With just the pipes things were nice, actually quite nice with very good image placement and detail from fairly deep on a piano up. They go deeper than I expected them to, which was a plus, but when a sub was hooked up (no crossovers, just natural roll offs of sub and pipe) everything just came together soooooooo well. Im not sure if I would really miss the sub if I had never heard them run this way but I am sure that it helped out a LOT once it was added.

I would say build them! They appear to be a reasonably simple & inexpensive speaker to put together. I should note that I have exactly 0 woodworking skills, so my estimate of complexity may be totally off.

Once you build them you decide for yourself if you need a sub. I'd plan to start planning for the sub around the same time the 4" drivers break in.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › Looking to build some Voigt Pipes. Anyone got experience?