New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Symphones Magnum/ Magnum Light - Page 3  

post #31 of 164
Hey is it possible Rhydon that I can get a stock headband tossed in if I pay a little more?

Also if you were able to order a SR-325is for me instead of just the drivers, what would the price difference be?
post #32 of 164
Thread Starter 
New leather headbands are $50 while supplies last.

SR325is would be 369 CAD (about $345 US).
post #33 of 164
Rhydon,

I am very interested in getting my 325is "Magnumized" here, but they could really use some new strain relief on the "Y" of the wire, at least the two upper forks of the "Y", as there is already some very slight breakage to the outer jacket where the wires meet the "Y". Can you do this?

The wire has already been modified by the previous owner for balanced use with a 4-pin XLR connection and SE adapter which is why I am not asking for a new wire, but that is a possibility also; please advise!

I would also like to get your opinion on this mod for my cans specifically, as I think the 325is are a bit bright for my tastes anyways; they could really use additional bass extension more than anything else, so if you could comment on that as well I would really appreciate it.
post #34 of 164
Thread Starter 
I would have to take a look at them to be sure what the problem is. I do have a few 325is cables on hand if it needs replacement.

Stock Grado's are a little bright yes, the mod works to dampen resonances within the diaphragm more effectively than the mass-produced Grado design. Bass quantity is close to the SR325is but slightly tighter in the lower regions due to the all-aluminum sound chamber.
post #35 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhydon View Post
I would have to take a look at them to be sure what the problem is. I do have a few 325is cables on hand if it needs replacement.
I really think it just needs reinforcement, and I could take the wire off and try to do it myself but I thought since you would obviously be disassembling it and reassembling it anyways that you might be willing, and maybe have some ideas:

This is how I got it, I think the previous owner let the cups spin a bit...

The lower part of the "Y" is fine, and yuk! I will give it a good cleaning
post #36 of 164
That looks almost normal. Both my RS2i and 325is came with these new cables and the upper wires of the Y appear kinked etc. pretty much like that since I took them out of the box.
post #37 of 164
That is standard for all Grados, if you mean that crimping, it's part of the hand-made factory process.
post #38 of 164
yup i agree that's normal. both my half year old HF2 and 8 years old RS1 have the same kinks there. it's natural, so i don't think you have anything to worry about.
post #39 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by xuan87 View Post
yup i agree that's normal. both my half year old HF2 and 8 years old RS1 have the same kinks there. it's natural, so i don't think you have anything to worry about.
The picture doesn't show it but at least two of the 4 kinks are actually worn/broken open, so I will need to reinforce the upper part of the "Y" with some kind of strain relief regardless of whether I get the Magnum upgrade.

Are there any better options than adhesive shrink tubing?

As far as the upgrade goes, my main concern is that as my 325is already have aluminum chambers, so is there another option to use those with the upgraded driver package? It seems that if I had a plastic-chambered model I would be getting much more benefit from the same upgrade but maybe I am misreading something here?
post #40 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post
The picture doesn't show it but at least two of the 4 kinks are actually worn/broken open, so I will need to reinforce the upper part of the "Y" with some kind of strain relief regardless of whether I get the Magnum upgrade.

Are there any better options than adhesive shrink tubing?

As far as the upgrade goes, my main concern is that as my 325is already have aluminum chambers, so is there another option to use those with the upgraded driver package? It seems that if I had a plastic-chambered model I would be getting much more benefit from the same upgrade but maybe I am misreading something here?
You need the SR325i aluminum outer housings, which aren't on lower models, the plastic housings holding the stock drivers are replaced with the Magnum aluminum chambers and custom drivers.
post #41 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post

As far as the upgrade goes, my main concern is that as my 325is already have aluminum chambers, so is there another option to use those with the upgraded driver package? It seems that if I had a plastic-chambered model I would be getting much more benefit from the same upgrade but maybe I am misreading something here?
Yeah I think that what you're missing is that the inner part of the chamber (the part covered by the pad) is plastic even on the 325... the magnum replaces that plastic with aluminum AND replaces the drivers. So it seems almost like if you had a plastic one (like an sr80) you'd end up with a backwards 325 of sorts...
post #42 of 164
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post
my main concern is that as my 325is already have aluminum chambers
The SR325 & MS2 are a plastic construction similar to the lower end grado's. If you open a MS2/325 you will find a plastic assembly which holds the driver and completely covers the aluminum surfaces. The SR325/MS2 plastic inserts are the identical to ones used in the new SR60i, SR80i, SR125i, and SR225i.

The Magnum mod replaces these plastic parts with aluminum versions- making a fully aluminum air chamber. Whether or not you use a SR325, MS2, or SR60, every magnum shares the same aluminum chamber (+ upgraded driver) and therefor all benefit from similar improvements in sonics.

As you can see, only the MS2i's outer earcup is aluminum. The parts fit together to create a plastic chamber encompassed by an aluminum shell.




post #43 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieB View Post
Yeah I think that what you're missing is that the inner part of the chamber (the part covered by the pad) is plastic even on the 325... the magnum replaces that plastic with aluminum AND replaces the drivers. So it seems almost like if you had a plastic one (like an sr80) you'd end up with a backwards 325 of sorts...
Makes sense, and I imagine that the acoustic design and dampening is different on the Magnum shells as well. I guess the 325i stock aluminum is just for show then.

The Magnum design goes for all aluminum, rather than wood on the inside which is different than Grado's current flagship design, where they use wood on the inside of the aluminum.

Not sure why I mentioned that, I just found it interesting
post #44 of 164
Well, Rhydon do whatever the default thing is as I just want you send the driver assembly and I'll solder it in.

So if you're just sending the assembly for me to solder, what drivers are included?
post #45 of 164
Holy****, there is even plastic on the outer cup of the MS2i?

Do you get rid of that too when you do the Magnum upgrade, or does it make no difference to sound in your opinion?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
This thread is locked