New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Seattle/Portland" Meet in the Middle" - Page 3

post #31 of 250
Because Mundrof caps are proven product for sound signature. I am sure Dan's caps are very well made, but I have never heard them. V-Caps are more expensive than Mundorf silver/oil, but I don't want to use V-Cap just for the sound signature reason only. Just like I dislike Blackgate's sound signature, but some people swear by them.

Recap just like tube rolling, the difference is once caps are there, you cann't change easy like tubes.
post #32 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamaster View Post
Because Mundrof caps are proven product for sound signature. I am sure Dan's caps are very well made, but I have never heard them. V-Caps are more expensive than Mundorf silver/oil, but I don't want to use V-Cap just for the sound signature reason only. Just like I dislike Blackgate's sound signature, but some people swear by them.

Recap just like tube rolling, the difference is once caps are there, you cann't change easy like tubes.
I learn something every day. I had no idea about caps--I mean I knew about having to burn them in before making serious judgements on the tubes you decide to use in your amp but this business of caps having its own sound signature? I had not idea. Too bad you can't just insert them in a socket like tubes. So I guess that means that s/s amp owners are just stuck with their amp's sound after it finally matures. They could, however, roll caps.
post #33 of 250
Thread Starter 
To me I would just tell Dan, Just do your thing with your caps and just pick it up when it is done. No Pain with looking up values of caps and waiting for shipment. Just pay and pick up in a few days or whatever. Just my 2 cents. The Modwright stuff may even cheaper to deal with after everything is said and done.
post #34 of 250
/copypasta from Portland post,

SRH 840's, Bravo Audi Amp, MF V-Dac, and (now! Mini-ITX music/movie server)

Any chance I could take you up on one of the ride offer Andrew?
post #35 of 250
Hi, BIG POPPA

Could you come up a gear list for the meet? Dan at Modwright want to come over. Thanks.
post #36 of 250
Thread Starter 
Everybody is welcome. Great, Dan is planning to come. I will start one in a bit.
post #37 of 250
Seamaster - I've never been to a 'meet' before and really don't even know what one is (have a vague idea). Dan's a personal friend and I do most of his photography and graphic design, and advertising for him. If he goes I may be coming down from Seattle as I don't get to see him that often during the year, and I always enjoy seeing him - he's a great guy. If I do I'll bring a pair of GS1000's for you to listen to. Sorry, they're not the i's but they still sound wonderful to my ears and with my preferences in music. It will really depend on how that month shapes up for me. I'm currently recovering from a foot surgery and on one leg (sounds like you are hopping as well). I should be bipedal by mid-February.

Regarding the recap - Don't forget those new caps are going to need some burn-in time before they settle in. Check with Dan - he's familiar with his own, but he may also be able to suggest what burn-in on the Mundorfs might be like. If you are doing a complete recap I'd bet you were looking at 200-300 hours of burn-in, but ask Dan for a more accurate estimate. BTW - you could not be in better hands or have better ears on your side than Dan's. I've been after him to put his hat in the headphone ring for a while. I think he's getting there. If and when he does, you can be sure it will be a significant contribution. I started using his stuff back when he first came out with the prototype preamp.I've owned a few of his modified players...all great stuff. He's really come a long way since then...I think that's about ten years ago. My system (speakers - sorry to say I prefer them to cans - am I banished?) is mostly Modwright now. I'm loving it - in over 30 years in this hobby it's definitely of the top two favorite states of my main system (which has changed a few times over that period)...actually it eeks out the SET system in terms of versatility and takes top honors for me. If only I could get my room to cooperate now...OK now there's one place where cans redeem themselves (among several). Phew, saved my sorry ass from a bunch of angry head-fiers! Seriously, I've been enjoying the heck out of my headphone system since being confined with this foot thing.
post #38 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax View Post
Seamaster - I've never been to a 'meet' before and really don't even know what one is (have a vague idea).
As far as how the meets works, people just set their stuff up on different tables and then a couple of things can happen.
  • You can listen to the setup as is
  • You can plug your headphone into that system
  • You can take the headphone from that system and try it on your system or somebody elses

Some people don't bring anything and are there just to try new things. Some just bring headphones to try out on different systems to see which has the best synergy. You can focus on listening to just a few things or try everything in the room. Sometimes very little listening gets done and it's more of a social event. Basically there are no real rules. And as far as the socializing, we try to have an after meet whenever possible. Big Poppa is still working out the details on this.
post #39 of 250
There is a high probability that I'll be going to this meet (my first, woot!). If I can, I'll bring the following:

Rega P1 Turntable, Azur 640p preamp, Millett Hybrid Max headphone amp and a pair of Grado RS1's
post #40 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax View Post
Seamaster - I've never been to a 'meet' before and really don't even know what one is (have a vague idea). Dan's a personal friend and I do most of his photography and graphic design, and advertising for him. If he goes I may be coming down from Seattle as I don't get to see him that often during the year, and I always enjoy seeing him - he's a great guy. If I do I'll bring a pair of GS1000's for you to listen to. Sorry, they're not the i's but they still sound wonderful to my ears and with my preferences in music. It will really depend on how that month shapes up for me. I'm currently recovering from a foot surgery and on one leg (sounds like you are hopping as well). I should be bipedal by mid-February.

Regarding the recap - Don't forget those new caps are going to need some burn-in time before they settle in. Check with Dan - he's familiar with his own, but he may also be able to suggest what burn-in on the Mundorfs might be like. If you are doing a complete recap I'd bet you were looking at 200-300 hours of burn-in, but ask Dan for a more accurate estimate. BTW - you could not be in better hands or have better ears on your side than Dan's. I've been after him to put his hat in the headphone ring for a while. I think he's getting there. If and when he does, you can be sure it will be a significant contribution. I started using his stuff back when he first came out with the prototype preamp.I've owned a few of his modified players...all great stuff. He's really come a long way since then...I think that's about ten years ago. My system (speakers - sorry to say I prefer them to cans - am I banished?) is mostly Modwright now. I'm loving it - in over 30 years in this hobby it's definitely of the top two favorite states of my main system (which has changed a few times over that period)...actually it eeks out the SET system in terms of versatility and takes top honors for me. If only I could get my room to cooperate now...OK now there's one place where cans redeem themselves (among several). Phew, saved my sorry ass from a bunch of angry head-fiers! Seriously, I've been enjoying the heck out of my headphone system since being confined with this foot thing.
Today I drove 120 miles (eachway) to visit Dan's shop, and drop off my amp, alone with HD650, few cables and tubes. Man, I did not expect that far away in to the woods, out of nowhere in a little town have such high end audio work shop/brand. I got lost in the 1st place and asked local people, where his shop is, they just looked at me think I am talking alien from space. Dan showed me his reference system. I love the craftmanship of his KWA 150 Amplifier, the quality is eye popping. Pictures on his website DON'T do any justice! Since there was only very short listening, and one CD only. I can't speak for other parts. The main things noticed with my instinct were the level of transparency and tonal correctness. Those two things just slapped on my face. Also the system have great hight extension/air without lose density of music. At this point, well I just go ahead let Dan takes care my amp, it is in good hands. Also I am not fixed to use Mundorf Caps anymore. Dan is very nice person talk to, soft and humble. We talked about headphone market for long time, I think I convined him to jump on this band wagon, and making headphone amp. Idea so far is direct sale from his website without going through dealer, to reduce cost that way. My sugestion was one balanced reference level model priced between $2000~$3000 USD using best parts, and tech. One lower end model priced around $900 USD.

Jax, thanks for the headphone. Yes I am hopping too, from 2nd sonwboard accident in 2 month. I twist my ankle big time even with stiff snowboard boots. I tried to jump a ramp, landed sideway. My board and my body both had their own idea, and wanted to roll different directions. Sorry ankle!
post #41 of 250
One thing I notice about Seattle head-fiers, we don't do IC, we just go out and do it.
post #42 of 250
Thread Starter 
Yes we have some very dedicated Head-fiers in the Puget Sound area. Everybody up here kinda knows when the meets will be before the meets. We do it 3-4 times a year plus a few secret meets for a reason or another. There is always somebody upgrading something and someone else wanting to hear it.
post #43 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamaster View Post
Today I drove 120 miles (eachway) to visit Dan's shop, and drop off my amp, alone with HD650, few cables and tubes. Man, I did not expect that far away in to the woods, out of nowhere in a little town have such high end audio work shop/brand. I got lost in the 1st place and asked local people, where his shop is, they just looked at me think I am talking alien from space.
Yep, Dan's shop is really off the grid and out of the box. I like it out there; it's mighty peaceful. You'd have no clue where you are from inside though. He tries to keep a low profile as far as the advertising what he does, so it's no surprise the locals weren't able to help you find it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamaster View Post
Dan showed me his reference system. I love the craftmanship of his KWA 150 Amplifier, the quality is eye popping. Pictures on his website DON'T do any justice! Since there was only very short listening, and one CD only. I can't speak for other parts. The main things noticed with my instinct were the level of transparency and tonal correctness. Those two things just slapped on my face. Also the system have great hight extension/air without lose density of music. At this point, well I just go ahead let Dan takes care my amp, it is in good hands. Also I am not fixed to use Mundorf Caps anymore. Dan is very nice person talk to, soft and humble. We talked about headphone market for long time, I think I convined him to jump on this band wagon, and making headphone amp. Idea so far is direct sale from his website without going through dealer, to reduce cost that way. My sugestion was one balanced reference level model priced between $2000~$3000 USD using best parts, and tech. One lower end model priced around $900 USD.
That's great that you made some headway there on a headphone line. I've been prodding him on that front as well. Check out the January '10 TAS for a review of his KWA 150 amp, that you enjoyed, by Dick Olsher. I agree, needless to say, his stuff is outstanding. Lou's speakers that you probably heard in his larger listening room, are also some of the best out there - Daedelus. Lou is also local to WA but up north. Yes, per previous post, you are in good hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamaster View Post
Jax, thanks for the headphone. Yes I am hopping too, from 2nd sonwboard accident in 2 month. I twist my ankle big time even with stiff snowboard boots. I tried to jump a ramp, landed sideway. My board and my body both had their own idea, and wanted to roll different directions. Sorry ankle!
My injury was acquired in mis-judging an obstacle (tree over the road) on Entiat Ridge while riding my motorcycle (dirt bike) up there one spring. It was either a helicopter rescue or ride out as nothing on four wheels could have made it past the obstacles across the trails at that time. I rode down from there with a dislocated shoulder (actually had to pop it back in before descending, and my friends helped tie it off), and a lisfranc dislocation in my foot (don't recommend one), which I didn't realize the severity of until days later This is my second surgery to the injury, and I sincerely hope the last.

Hope yours heals quickly.
post #44 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamoneagain View Post
As far as how the meets works, people just set their stuff up on different tables and then a couple of things can happen.
  • You can listen to the setup as is
  • You can plug your headphone into that system
  • You can take the headphone from that system and try it on your system or somebody elses

Some people don't bring anything and are there just to try new things. Some just bring headphones to try out on different systems to see which has the best synergy. You can focus on listening to just a few things or try everything in the room. Sometimes very little listening gets done and it's more of a social event. Basically there are no real rules. And as far as the socializing, we try to have an after meet whenever possible. Big Poppa is still working out the details on this.
Hey, thanks for that intro - I appreciate the effort! I will at least bring my cans if I can make it.
post #45 of 250
Thread Starter 
After meets are very important to the meet. That is where you can relax and talk to Head-fiers you didn't get a chance to and get the rest of your questions answered. And the food is usually really good.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: