Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › The RSA Protector balanced portable: Images and impressions 1st page, Please post your impressions . .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The RSA Protector balanced portable: Images and impressions 1st page, Please post your... - Page 50

post #736 of 837

I'm same as nc8000 with my JH13...

post #737 of 837

Thanks everyone for chiming in.

 

One last question.  After some burn in what area in the spectrum are you all noticing the most difference, i.e. highs, mids etc. or all around improvement.  I tend to prefer things brighter but with these 16's my "taste" for brightness is fading.  Now when I listen to things with the treble boosted a touch it starts to cause fatigue after a while. 

 

I would have to say that has been my biggest discovery with high end monitors.  I always loved my Grado 225i's because they were just happier.  Now they are starting to sound a little too high in comparison and I seem to be now preferring a mellower tone.  I do feel like I can hear more things with a treble boost like fingers sliding across strings which I tend to like.

 

Thanks again

FRGus723

post #738 of 837


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRGus723 View Post

Thanks everyone for chiming in.

 

One last question.  After some burn in what area in the spectrum are you all noticing the most difference, i.e. highs, mids etc. or all around improvement.  I tend to prefer things brighter but with these 16's my "taste" for brightness is fading.  Now when I listen to things with the treble boosted a touch it starts to cause fatigue after a while. 

 

I would have to say that has been my biggest discovery with high end monitors.  I always loved my Grado 225i's because they were just happier.  Now they are starting to sound a little too high in comparison and I seem to be now preferring a mellower tone.  I do feel like I can hear more things with a treble boost like fingers sliding across strings which I tend to like.

 

Thanks again

FRGus723

Yep, you seem to hear more detail from that frequency when it is boosted but you'll grow to really appreciate a neutral tone because details will come out at you naturally.

post #739 of 837

I use balanced Sennheiser HD650 with the amp set to mid gain.  My listening level is around 9 to 9:30 clock depending on the music.  Anything beyond 10 is too loud.  

post #740 of 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio-Omega View Post

I use balanced Sennheiser HD650 with the amp set to mid gain.  My listening level is around 9 to 9:30 clock depending on the music.  Anything beyond 10 is too loud.  


Humm, I wonder is the HD800 is hard to drive?  I use high gain and the volume pot around 9-10.

post #741 of 837

N00b question alert!!!

 

I have a Denon AVR484 receiver.  This is no audiophile receiver by any means but I was curious if people listen/watch movies with the Protector amp.  I'm not talking about using this amp in HT scenario, just the occasional 3 month old sleeping and I wanna watch a movie scenario.  I am thinking about trying to watch a DVD with my JH16 Pros and this Denon receiver.  Will this be too much for the Protector?

 

Here are the specs on the receiver, I assume I would either go RCA - 3.5mm into the back of the Protector or go AVR Headphone out - 3.5 into Protector. 

 

Is it better to go out of RCA vs Headphone Out usually?

 

http://www.buy.com/prod/denon-avr-484-a-v-receiver-dolby-digital-dolby-pro-logic-ii-dtsfm-am/q/loc/111/203324691.html

 

Anyway, thanks for all the help.

post #742 of 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRGus723 View Post

N00b question alert!!!

 

I have a Denon AVR484 receiver.  This is no audiophile receiver by any means but I was curious if people listen/watch movies with the Protector amp.  I'm not talking about using this amp in HT scenario, just the occasional 3 month old sleeping and I wanna watch a movie scenario.  I am thinking about trying to watch a DVD with my JH16 Pros and this Denon receiver.  Will this be too much for the Protector?

 

Here are the specs on the receiver, I assume I would either go RCA - 3.5mm into the back of the Protector or go AVR Headphone out - 3.5 into Protector. 

 

Is it better to go out of RCA vs Headphone Out usually?

 

http://www.buy.com/prod/denon-avr-484-a-v-receiver-dolby-digital-dolby-pro-logic-ii-dtsfm-am/q/loc/111/203324691.html

 

Anyway, thanks for all the help.


Using the RCA audio outs from your Denon would give you a safer and better-sounding source.  Tape-outs to the Protector input would also work, as they are line-level outputs. 

post #743 of 837

Last time I used my JH13Pro with balanced protector fed by Pico DAC-only I had the volume at 9:30.  If I use the quieter iBasso D4 line-out I have to turn it up to 10 or 10:30.

post #744 of 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post

Last time I used my JH13Pro with balanced protector fed by Pico DAC-only I had the volume at 9:30.  If I use the quieter iBasso D4 line-out I have to turn it up to 10 or 10:30.


Wow, Skylab was right - the HE-5 do sound good balanced off the Protector!  Previously I found that when driving the HE-5 single ended the Protector was underpowered, thin and bright sounding.  I was quite skeptical that it could properly drive them when balanced.  But I now have a balanced HE-5 LE on hand, and for some strange reason I waited 11 days before it occurred to me to plug them into my Protector with TWag 4-pin adapter tonight.  The bass impact is there, and the sound is nice and warm as I've come to expect from these phones, as well as having great imaging and detail.  All I can say is wow, I was surprised, because these seem about as hard to drive as the original HE-5.  But boy do they sound good with the right amp.

 

This is with the same Macbook > Pico DAC-only as in my JH13Pro and HD600 testing.  I found normal listening volume with HE-5 LE was at 11 o'clock, and it is pretty loud by 12-1 o'clock and very loud by 2 o'clock right before clipping occurs.

post #745 of 837


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post




Wow, Skylab was right - the HE-5 do sound good balanced off the Protector!  Previously I found that when driving the HE-5 single ended the Protector was underpowered, thin and bright sounding.  I was quite skeptical that it could properly drive them when balanced.  But I now have a balanced HE-5 LE on hand, and for some strange reason I waited 11 days before it occurred to me to plug them into my Protector with TWag 4-pin adapter tonight.  The bass impact is there, and the sound is nice and warm as I've come to expect from these phones, as well as having great imaging and detail.  All I can say is wow, I was surprised, because these seem about as hard to drive as the original HE-5.  But boy do they sound good with the right amp.

 

This is with the same Macbook > Pico DAC-only as in my JH13Pro and HD600 testing.  I found normal listening volume with HE-5 LE was at 11 o'clock, and it is pretty loud by 12-1 o'clock and very loud by 2 o'clock right before clipping occurs.

How those this little mighty wonder drive say...the HD800's?
 

post #746 of 837

"This is with the same Macbook > Pico DAC-only as in my JH13Pro and HD600 testing.  I found normal listening volume with HE-5 LE was at 11 o'clock, and it is pretty loud by 12-1 o'clock and very loud by 2 o'clock right before clipping occurs."

 

Larry is that on low, medium or high?

post #747 of 837

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc9394 View Post




Humm, I wonder is the HD800 is hard to drive?  I use high gain and the volume pot around 9-10.

 

 

I would be able to tell if I had HD800.  

May be I should set to low gain to give better volume control.

post #748 of 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic 748i View Post


 

How those this little mighty wonder drive say...the HD800's?
 


They drives the HD800 very well, which I'm very surprise by that. 

post #749 of 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic 748i View Post


 

How those this little mighty wonder drive say...the HD800's?
 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRGus723 View Post

"This is with the same Macbook > Pico DAC-only as in my JH13Pro and HD600 testing.  I found normal listening volume with HE-5 LE was at 11 o'clock, and it is pretty loud by 12-1 o'clock and very loud by 2 o'clock right before clipping occurs."

 

Larry is that on low, medium or high?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc9394 View Post




They drives the HD800 very well, which I'm very surprise by that. 


I have the Protector set for hi gain since I got it, and haven't needed to change it to low for my Custom IEM.  The gain only changes where I end up with the volume knob for listening, but it doesn't increase or decrease max power output.  The volume pot is precise enough that even with high gain and custom IEM I don't end up low enough to encounter channel imbalance at ultra low volume knob positions.  It's the same pot RSA uses in the SR-71, but shaved down by hand to fit the smaller amp case.

 

The Protector will drive the HD800 fine  in terms of power, but it's sometimes a little brighter or more aggressive sounding with them than I would like, kinda like what I get with the ES3X.  It's very useable and enjoyable with either of those phones, but it's not my preferred amp for them.  However, the HD600 are a perfect match for the balanced Protector, as are the HE-5 LE, JH13Pro or UE11Pro.

post #750 of 837


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post



 

 


I have the Protector set for hi gain since I got it, and haven't needed to change it to low for my Custom IEM.  The gain only changes where I end up with the volume knob for listening, but it doesn't increase or decrease max power output.  The volume pot is precise enough that even with high gain and custom IEM I don't end up low enough to encounter channel imbalance at ultra low volume knob positions.  It's the same pot RSA uses in the SR-71, but shaved down by hand to fit the smaller amp case.

 

The Protector will drive the HD800 fine  in terms of power, but it's sometimes a little brighter or more aggressive sounding with them than I would like, kinda like what I get with the ES3X.  It's very useable and enjoyable with either of those phones, but it's not my preferred amp for them.  However, the HD600 are a perfect match for the balanced Protector, as are the HE-5 LE, JH13Pro or UE11Pro.


Thanks for the response.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › The RSA Protector balanced portable: Images and impressions 1st page, Please post your impressions . .