Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › New Weiss DAC202
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Weiss DAC202

post #1 of 39
Thread Starter 
A new DAC will be released by Weiss.
This is the DAC202, as seen here Weiss :: High End : DAC202 FIREWIRE D/A CONVERTER
It looks great.
post #2 of 39
Looks nice, Weiss has some great studio gear (DS1/EQ1) but imho their DACs are seriously overpriced for what they are. I auditioned their DAC2 and imho it lines up where the other usual suspects are, DAC1, Lavry, even some of the better firewire interfaces. I can only suggest to rely on your own ears.

Now that i think about it, i never saw or read anyone using Weiss DAC/ADC in a studio. However you'll find their DS1/EQ1 in quite some mastering places but it seems for conversion most studios rely on other brands.
post #3 of 39
Looks really nice indeed!
Compact size, fully balanced, headphone out, remote control, ..
post #4 of 39
I am wondering how good the built-in headphone amp will be. US$5,000 retail is not a small investment and I will have to wait for the first move of some brave souls...

Certainly looks nice though. May I ask if they require separate power supply or rely on the firewire power for the DAC portion ?

F. Lo
post #5 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkclo View Post
I am wondering how good the built-in headphone amp will be. US$5,000 retail is not a small investment and I will have to wait for the first move of some brave souls...

Certainly looks nice though. May I ask if they require separate power supply or rely on the firewire power for the DAC portion ?

F. Lo
Hello Francis
I believe it has user selectable 120V/230V.
And yes it is expensive.
post #6 of 39
Not sure where the $5000 is coming from, but confirmed US retail price will be $6495.

No need for inline power from firewire or separate power supply.

Transparency check is handy on a DAC while tuning a computer setup.
post #7 of 39
Thread Starter 
As per Daniel Weiss' info to me:
Quote
The retail price of the DAC202 is about Euro 4000 w/o any shipping, duties, VAT.
Unquote
post #8 of 39
Thanks for the info. If that is the case it might have a better price in the Europe, even considering taxes, etc, being an european company and all. I hope this is the case with UK as well.

Unlikely, though. Usually the rule of thumb is that something costing X dollars in US will cost X euros in Europe... and X pounds in UK. And that in the best case scenario. That usually happens even with European products, which is something I don't get it.
post #9 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
Thanks for the info. If that is the case it might have a better price in the Europe, even considering taxes, etc, being an european company and all. I hope this is the case with UK as well.

Unlikely, though. Usually the rule of thumb is that something costing X dollars in US will cost X euros in Europe... and X pounds in UK. And that in the best case scenario. That usually happens even with European products, which is something I don't get it.
Nomad, I have bought European products from US, had them shipped over to EU and I still saved money.
The only problem is the 120V, but I can live with that!
post #10 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosgr63 View Post
Nomad, I have bought European products from US, had them shipped over to EU and I still saved money.
The only problem is the 120V, but I can live with that!
So true... I hear you! In UK it is even worse, if you can believe it.
Many thanks for all the info in the DAC202. Cheers.
post #11 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkclo View Post
I am wondering how good the built-in headphone amp will be. US$5,000 retail is not a small investment and I will have to wait for the first move of some brave souls...

Certainly looks nice though. May I ask if they require separate power supply or rely on the firewire power for the DAC portion ?

F. Lo
Sorry that I must have mistaken about the price. Actually the local news here say HK$50,000 which equates to US$6,450.

My apologies for getting too excited.

F. Lo
post #12 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkclo View Post
Sorry that I must have mistaken about the price. Actually the local news here say HK$50,000 which equates to US$6,450.

My apologies for getting too excited.

F. Lo
It's these exchange rates!
post #13 of 39
Oh cool, another $5k+ DAC. Where do they think the market is?
post #14 of 39
What chipses is this precious using?
post #15 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing1337 View Post
Oh cool, another $5k+ DAC. Where do they think the market is?
Weiss, Berkelely, Sonic Studio, etc. seem to be doing just fine at that price point.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › New Weiss DAC202