post #76 of 164
1/31/10 at 3:15am
LD VII+ (w/ LD DAC_1) in the house -- yesterday.
Several of you mentioned the imminent arrival of the VII+ but haven't posted initial impressions. This is either bad or good. I'm guessing that it's good. Like me, you've probably been so busy listening to your favorite music that you haven't had time to post.
Out of the box, I spent yesterday afternoon/evening listening to the duo with 24/96 lossless tracks (via toslink) over a balanced HD800.
This morning, SE via GS1000.
Quick initial impressions:
- The units are solid, professional looking, beautifully crafted and engineered. Buttons, jacks, display, dial all have a precision feel. First rate all around. They also look great on my desktop.
- The units run cool. Only a slight warmth after many hours.
- For me, if SQ is subpar, I can't listen for more than a few minutes. In balanced mode with the HD800, I listened to the VII+ and DAC_1 duo for hours without a break. I simply didn't want to stop.
- This morning, with the GS1000 in SE mode, I've been listening continuously for a couple of hours and don't want to stop. My favorite playlist (in Foobar2000) includes blues, classical, jazz, folk, ballads, instrumentals (primarily acoustic guitar), and rock (traditional).
- This is a keeper. The price is nowhere close to a reflection of the quality of the amp and DAC.
- I'd characterize the SQ as more musical than analytical. Smooth, fluid, warm.
- The speed is exceptional, especially as it punches power down into the bass.
- The background is completely black.
- Be careful with the volume. I'm at 9:00 with both cans. A little higher, and fatigue sets in.
- Listening at low volume is enjoyable, perhaps preferred.
- Soundstage -- neither vast nor compressed. I feel as though I'm in an acoustically flat environment, sitting directly in front, close to the performers but not in the first few rows.
- Bass seems to be uniformly deeper, well-defined, and slightly emphasized.
- The mids are vivid, warm.
- General impression: very, very listenable. Brings out the beauty and musicality of well-recorded tracks.
- I'll be testing the balanced mode this afternoon with the HD650.
- Other: Delivery via DHL was quick. Very securely packed. Usual gentlemanly service from David.
Looking forward to reading impressions from others.