Ok, that sucks, but it seems to me you are so close now. It sounds like this time you can tell them to leave them mostly alone, just make them thicker. Problem is Im not sure if that means they need to completely rebuild them or just make some alterations. I guess contact Fisher again and find out. I sure hope they help you out with the shipping as your situation is becoming ridiculous regardless of who is or isnt at fault. Keep us updated like you have been, still hoping for a happy resolution.
It's more the shipping/wait times that are now beginning to p*** me off. IF (and I stress that) they go back then it's going to be at least a week to ten days before they even get to fisher thanks to international shipping, then its tumpty tump days until they come back. That's followed by another week to ten day return trip with no guarantee at the end. It's getting on for best part of a year now since I started this, and in many ways I either a)wish I hadn't or b)at least done it in the uk. If it had worked the first time I would have been laughing price wise which was the reason I did a us company, but sadly it didn't and the rest as they say is history. I do have to say that fisher have been fine without charging me for refits or for return postage. I also feel slightly sorry for them as they can't have made much from my order now to start with. I'm just at a loss as to how this has got to this situation. At last count it's been four refits and 3 sets of impressions (including the original). Shipping over is £15 which is $23. That in itself isn't bad, but it's all beginning to add up now.
Anyway just wanted to get that off my chest.
Anyone reading this don't be put off from my experiences with fisher, feel free to contact them. Sure they'll look after you.