any further developments on these mods?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- a well balanced head system? got senn HD800+violectricV200.. what cables? what sound source?... Last post on 4/30/12 at 12:50am in Headphones (full-size)
- Recycling Edition 8's Last post on 4/12/12 at 6:21am in Headphones (full-size)
- Cable(ALO) recommendation for Sennheiser HD800 Last post on 10/2/11 at 11:17am in Headphones (full-size)
- A Socially Unacceptable Audiophile Addiction Last post on 8/30/11 at 9:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD580 Precision Last post on 6/10/12 at 2:40am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
- DIY Cable Info and ResourcesLast edited: 10/2/13
Got the SE846 last week and did some hours of comparison with my current SE535. My bias was towards keeping them - I like flagship products as a "there is nothing better" products, i.e. do not...
So I finally broke my go to earbuds, and went searching for a replacement. I was actually so disappointed with these things that I made it a point to get out and put out a review. Bass continuously...
I was looking for closed headphones with a pricetag up to €200 that could be used without an amp. After some research and listening sessions I bought the M50x. There's really not a lot to say about...
If you look at my profile, I stay within a small range of products that have worked for my son and I. These include V-Moda, Westone, Audio Technica and Klipsch. Each have their own strenghts,...
I've had Mentor for nearly a month before selling it and JH16fp (first deciding to sell Mentor, then putting it on hold, then selling JH, then finally selling Mentor) and thought I'd share my...
Want more bass from your HD 800? – Easy mod - Page 6post #76 of 859/8/11 at 1:00pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #77 of 851/14/12 at 11:25am
I can sugest a very easy mod. I don't think it is as effective as previous.
Last week I noticed that my HD800 become more brighter and their soundstage become a little bit blurred and flat.
I thought it was because their earpads become a little bit crushed up.
My purpose was to hold away diaphragms from ears and make them see into my ears at a larger angle (so that they sound more like speakers).
So, I find earpads of my old akg k26p. And cut out pieces of foam rubber and cut them (I just made them somewhat shorter) so that they can find enough room for themselves under HD800's earpads. You can also use any two pieces of foam rubber the same size.
Then I insert them under back side (which are behind ears) of HD800's earpands. Now it looks like that:
After this the soundstage becomes slightly deeper and it moved a little bit further forward.
Bass becomes more legible in my opinion. It also seems that headphones now sound less brighter and more comfortable.
I didn't notice any negative effects in sound. Maybe the transparence is now a little bit worse, but I think it is because sound becomes less bright.
Edited by dubselect - 1/14/12 at 11:40ampost #78 of 853/11/12 at 5:25ampost #79 of 853/11/12 at 2:56pmpost #80 of 853/11/12 at 3:02pmpost #81 of 853/11/12 at 3:54pm
After trying several variations of the anaxilus mod and then the mod that Tyll shows in his InnerFidelity video, I HIGHLY recommend Tyll's version.
It's cheap, easy, provides solutions to some known 'issues' and aids in presenting a much more satisfying musical experience.
JJpost #82 of 853/11/12 at 4:05pmpost #83 of 853/11/12 at 4:29pm
For some there was a seeming 'lack' of bass.
For some there was a seeming 'glaring' mid-upper treble
For some there was a seeming lack of detail.
All of these aspects are improved in one fashion or another.
here is a link to the write up
JJpost #84 of 853/11/12 at 5:08pm
I wasn't really questioning you with doubts, if it came off that way.
I agree with all of these flaws, it's just my 800's were sidelined very early on. Though they have awesome soundstage and good detail, I felt they were boring and dull. Instantly regretted my purchase. And was pretty angry at the headphone, very personal. Lent them to a family member with no regard to ever getting them back. I am desperately hoping that
a mod like this could allow me to enjoy what many refer to as a great can. Thanks again for sharing Tyll's mod. That's the one I am aching to try :)post #85 of 854/2/12 at 12:48pm
- Want more bass from your HD 800? – Easy mod
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › WESTONE 3 IMPRESSIONS AND APPRECIATION THREAD 18 seconds ago
- › Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II 28 seconds ago
- › Testing audiophile claims and myths 32 seconds ago
- › Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04,... 39 seconds ago
- › Looking for a mid - high end desktop amp that will play nicely with... 1 minute ago
- › Choices, choices... 1 minute ago
- › Review: Resonessence Labs Invicta - new high end DAC/amp/playback... 4 minutes ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.2.8 5 minutes ago
- › ColorFly C4 - Lots of Questions and Issues on Not Working!!! 11 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 11 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by agistrilink
- › NCredible NErgy In-Ear Headphones by Monster® by tevbax
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by De_klusjesman
- › Klipsch S3M-Blue-HP In-Ear Headphone, Blue by DaddyMojo
- › Unique Melody Mentor acrylic universal/custom by svyr
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude