any further developments on these mods?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- a well balanced head system? got senn HD800+violectricV200.. what cables? what sound source?... Last post on 4/30/12 at 12:50am in Headphones (full-size)
- Recycling Edition 8's Last post on 4/12/12 at 6:21am in Headphones (full-size)
- Cable(ALO) recommendation for Sennheiser HD800 Last post on 10/2/11 at 11:17am in Headphones (full-size)
- A Socially Unacceptable Audiophile Addiction Last post on 8/30/11 at 9:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD580 Precision Last post on 6/10/12 at 2:40am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
- DIY Cable Info and ResourcesLast edited: 10/2/13
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Introduction I got these headphones around the national holiday. These came out about 2 years after I had got my K701. I was first attracted by its classy design and colour. I thought I would...
I am one of the lucky ones to get a chance to be reviewer in the HE-400i "tour". HiFiMAN has intrigued me since the start of my Head-Fi journey. The HE-400 was the first headphone I purchased...
Note: Much of this comes from a review I wrote and posted elsewhere a month or so ago, but with some editing and organizational tweaks. I have wanted to do a full Alpha Dog review for a while,...
I have owned this headphone for 2 years and it never disappointed me. The sound quality is no need to discuss as its sound signature has been discussed multiple times in TH900 thread. This...
published on September 22, 2014 (click any photo in this review for a larger version) Intro I first heard about Garage1217's Project Polaris (just "Polaris" from here on out, for the...
Want more bass from your HD 800? – Easy mod - Page 6post #76 of 859/8/11 at 1:00pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #77 of 851/14/12 at 11:25am
I can sugest a very easy mod. I don't think it is as effective as previous.
Last week I noticed that my HD800 become more brighter and their soundstage become a little bit blurred and flat.
I thought it was because their earpads become a little bit crushed up.
My purpose was to hold away diaphragms from ears and make them see into my ears at a larger angle (so that they sound more like speakers).
So, I find earpads of my old akg k26p. And cut out pieces of foam rubber and cut them (I just made them somewhat shorter) so that they can find enough room for themselves under HD800's earpads. You can also use any two pieces of foam rubber the same size.
Then I insert them under back side (which are behind ears) of HD800's earpands. Now it looks like that:
After this the soundstage becomes slightly deeper and it moved a little bit further forward.
Bass becomes more legible in my opinion. It also seems that headphones now sound less brighter and more comfortable.
I didn't notice any negative effects in sound. Maybe the transparence is now a little bit worse, but I think it is because sound becomes less bright.
Edited by dubselect - 1/14/12 at 11:40ampost #78 of 853/11/12 at 5:25ampost #79 of 853/11/12 at 2:56pmpost #80 of 853/11/12 at 3:02pmpost #81 of 853/11/12 at 3:54pm
After trying several variations of the anaxilus mod and then the mod that Tyll shows in his InnerFidelity video, I HIGHLY recommend Tyll's version.
It's cheap, easy, provides solutions to some known 'issues' and aids in presenting a much more satisfying musical experience.
JJpost #82 of 853/11/12 at 4:05pmpost #83 of 853/11/12 at 4:29pm
For some there was a seeming 'lack' of bass.
For some there was a seeming 'glaring' mid-upper treble
For some there was a seeming lack of detail.
All of these aspects are improved in one fashion or another.
here is a link to the write up
JJpost #84 of 853/11/12 at 5:08pm
I wasn't really questioning you with doubts, if it came off that way.
I agree with all of these flaws, it's just my 800's were sidelined very early on. Though they have awesome soundstage and good detail, I felt they were boring and dull. Instantly regretted my purchase. And was pretty angry at the headphone, very personal. Lent them to a family member with no regard to ever getting them back. I am desperately hoping that
a mod like this could allow me to enjoy what many refer to as a great can. Thanks again for sharing Tyll's mod. That's the one I am aching to try :)post #85 of 854/2/12 at 12:48pm
- Want more bass from your HD 800? – Easy mod
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 11 seconds ago
- › 6SN7 Tube Addicts 41 seconds ago
- › Rockbox for iBasso DX90 dual boot with modded FW intl ver 2 (Latest... 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › [Review] Noble Audio Kaiser 10 - The Wizard Rises Again 2 minutes ago
- › Requesting your input on M3U playlist support for X3, X5 2 minutes ago
- › Germanium's Sound blaster ZXR mod thread 4 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 4 minutes ago
- › Hifiman He-400 vs Sennheiser hd600 vs Fidelio x1 4 minutes ago
- › DGS100 Appreciation thread. The game changing budget-fi two-way... 4 minutes ago
- › AKG K 550 by QBoQBo
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by smellyfungus
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by hans030390
- › Fostex TH 900 by archeryc
- › Garage1217 Project Polaris by Asr
- › Bose QuietComfort 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones by dbdchc
- › Rega RP3 by Nhubley
- › Woo Audio 2 by Nhubley
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by razor5cl
- › Aune M1 Hi-Fi Wav Player by wtnwin111
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)