Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › WINDOWS users-- which web browser do you use and why?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

WINDOWS users-- which web browser do you use and why? - Page 9

post #121 of 234
I browse through my favourites. Almost all the websites I visit I access through my favourites. Otherwise I google everything. Internet Explorer still works for me and even though it has quirks, I haven't had many problems with it.

Through this forum I read about a lot of other browsers. Which would be the best step up from what IE has to offer? Suggestions and factual arguments are more than welcome. Functionality and reliability are important...
post #122 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sduibek View Post
Stop visiting Warez and p*rn sites then Seriously PC Security is WAY overhyped. I had this discussion in a thread either here or at WindowsBBS a while ago, regarding antivirus software. Running anyspyware, antivirus and this type of browser plugin(s) constantly is just silly. You don't have to worry about infections; just:
1) Be smart about it
2) Use a better browser
3) Use a NAT firewall / router
4) Have an AV installed and run it every once in a while.
*5) Keep builtin solutions running if desired (Windows Firewall for example)

#1 would include making sure all your stuff is up to specs -- Windows Updates set to run auto, newest FF/Chrome/whatever installed, not going to aforementioned blacklisted sites, using a mail provider such as Gmail that automatically blocks nasty email(s) from executing code... etc. I haven't had a legitimate virus situation on my home PC in years, NS isn't necessary
Security is king, live with it! Never disable UAC or turn it down a notch. Also, don't use a admin-account, use a standard user account!
post #123 of 234
IE8 and Minefield (Windows 7 Pro 64)
post #124 of 234
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hectuero View Post
Good, maybe it'll finally make some progress and get up to par with the rest of the crowd. Or just go hide in a corner where no one will use it, either is okay with me.
To play devil's advocate -- yes, IE6 is awful and should die. IE7 and IE8 (with most recent patches/updates/etc) honestly aren't terrible. Would I choose to use them over Chrome, FF, Opera, etc? Probably not. If it's my only option(s), would I cry? Nope. They do what they need to do, and are faster and more secure than previous incarnations of IE. IE still kinda sucks, but it doesn't suck nearly as much as it used to. That being said, there's still some stuff that is RIDICULOUS about IE -- for example when asking to save a UN/PW combo, even in IE8 it still takes up the whole screen (in terms of I/O UI access) and if you say No, you have to clear ALL Passwords stored if you change your mind and want to store that one instead. Anyway, just sayin'.... IE is not great but it's not as bad as it once was in 5.x or 6.x Now it's... bad instead of awful. lol


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bredin View Post
Security is king, live with it! Never disable UAC or turn it down a notch. Also, don't use a admin-account, use a standard user account!
post #125 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Funk View Post
I browse through my favourites. Almost all the websites I visit I access through my favourites. Otherwise I google everything. Internet Explorer still works for me and even though it has quirks, I haven't had many problems with it.

Through this forum I read about a lot of other browsers. Which would be the best step up from what IE has to offer? Suggestions and factual arguments are more than welcome. Functionality and reliability are important...
Chrome is probably the most stable because it "sandboxes" each tab, so if something goes awry in one tab, it doesn't affect the others and your whole browser doesn't crash, just that one tab would. Chrome is also currently the fastest browser (note that IE8 comes in last in nearly every benchmark) and has been shown to outshine the others in security. Chrome also scores a 100/100 on the Acid3 test (though note that it does not actually pass it, only Safari & Opera do).

My recommendation after Chrome would be Firefox.
post #126 of 234
I'm using Opera.

Unlike others here, I very disliked Chrome, because that wasn't what I'm attending from a webbrowser at all.

In the opposite, Opera is fast, reliable, has nice stuff and provide all what I expect from a webbrowser, so it's why I use this one.

Not Firefox, because it's a bit slow and not Safari, because it's too apple-ish.

And you probably know why I'm not speaking at all of IE X, because it sucks.
post #127 of 234
I've been a Firefox user for a number of years now, but I think I might go ahead and give Chrome a try when I make the switch over to a new hard drive and Windows 7 next week. My CE roommates prefer it over Firefox by a wide margin at this point.
post #128 of 234
Does Chrome allow a provision for Google Advertising cookie opt-out?
.
post #129 of 234
Thread Starter 
.
post #130 of 234
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hectuero View Post
Chrome is probably the most stable because it "sandboxes" each tab, so if something goes awry in one tab, it doesn't affect the others and your whole browser doesn't crash, just that one tab would. Chrome is also currently the fastest browser (note that IE8 comes in last in nearly every benchmark) and has been shown to outshine the others in security. Chrome also scores a 100/100 on the Acid3 test (though note that it does not actually pass it, only Safari & Opera do).

My recommendation after Chrome would be Firefox.
I noticed a seperate Chrome.exe is literally running for each tab, is that intentional? And each used like 30-50mb of RAM. Not a huge deal for most people, but on older machines I can see this intensive resource usage becoming a big problem. 10 tabs = 500mb.
post #131 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sduibek View Post
I noticed a seperate Chrome.exe is literally running for each tab, is that intentional? And each used like 30-50mb of RAM. Not a huge deal for most people, but on older machines I can see this intensive resource usage becoming a big problem. 10 tabs = 500mb.
Yes this is intentional, it's the way the sandboxing works. It also increases security because the individual tab processes don't have many abilities. Of course, as you said, on older machines this could pose a problem, but in the 1-4ish tabs most users probably have open at once it's not much different a memory footprint than other browsers. If memory is a concern I'd use Firefox.

Little tip: if, while in Chrome, you hit SHIFT+ESC a built-in "task manager" of sorts will come up and show you how much memory, CPU, and bandwidth each tab is using. You can also go to about:memory in the address bar to see a bit more verbose information.
post #132 of 234
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hectuero View Post
Yes this is intentional, it's the way the sandboxing works. It also increases security because the individual tab processes don't have many abilities. Of course, as you said, on older machines this could pose a problem, but in the 1-4ish tabs most users probably have open at once it's not much different a memory footprint than other browsers. If memory is a concern I'd use Firefox.

Little tip: if, while in Chrome, you hit SHIFT+ESC a built-in "task manager" of sorts will come up and show you how much memory, CPU, and bandwidth each tab is using. You can also go to about:memory in the address bar to see a bit more verbose information.
Nice That's cool
post #133 of 234
Google Chrome and Opera. Both are much faster and proven to be more secure as well. It's silly to use any others.
post #134 of 234
But they don't have the addons that makes them superfast and safe on the other hand. What is safest or most secure? Firefox + a lot of addons or a normal stock browser? That would be interesting to know. I know that other browsers outperforms firefox on some performance benchmarks, but I feel that they are slower IRL when firefox uses some addons.
post #135 of 234
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesekiwi View Post
Google Chrome and Opera. Both are much faster and proven to be more secure as well. It's silly to use any others.
What's the consensus about switching from FireFox? I've been using Firefox for years, and if i'm going to get serious about switching to either Chrome 4x or Opera 10x i'm not sure which would be "most similar" to a user very familiar with FF...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › WINDOWS users-- which web browser do you use and why?