Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › WINDOWS users-- which web browser do you use and why?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

WINDOWS users-- which web browser do you use and why? - Page 8

post #106 of 234
Thread Starter 
Thanks for all the AddOn/Extensions (btw it pisses me off that there's two names when they are THE SAME THING) mentions... I got the newest version of FlashBlock and it's MUCH more user-friendly than it used to be. The II/> icon to "play" Flash content is great
post #107 of 234
FF and Chrome. Hard to divert from FF w/ ABP, NS, SS.
post #108 of 234
FF. Stability, Configuarbility, Add-ons, Support/Development.
post #109 of 234
Internet Explorer, the latest version I guess. I have used Fire Fox but for me it doesn't matter. Internet Explorer works, it's functional. The homepage I use is google.

I love the emptyness of Google. Everything works and isn't clogged with advertisments and weird stuff like MSN. Google Chrome, well it may be great but Internet Explorer still works.
post #110 of 234
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joomongj View Post
FF and Chrome. Hard to divert from FF w/ ABP, NS, SS.
SS?

Per this thread I tried NoScript again a couple nights ago and uninstalled it after about an hour. It may increase browsing speed or security or whatever but to me it's totally not worth it. Browsing becomes a total PITA where I have to Approve practically every site I use just for it to be functional -- HeadFi (yes), Meetup, Facebook, Gmail. No thanks, I want browsing speed not insane micromanagement that makes browsing a much slower and tedious task :-/ It's like Vista's UAC for browsing. ACK!!!!!!! No way.
post #111 of 234
SkipScreen. I find NS indispensable. Added security ftw.
post #112 of 234
Thread Starter 
Such as? I literally don't get viruses/spyware/___ware ever, things like NoScript are totally unnecessary.
post #113 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sduibek View Post
Such as? I literally don't get viruses/spyware/___ware ever, things like NoScript are totally unnecessary.
So you had used it w/o knowing what it does hence asked me that question. Otherwise you're just trolling. If not, let me copy and paste in case you don't know. The answer to your question is in there.
Quote:
The NoScript Firefox extension provides extra protection for Firefox, Flock, Seamonkey and other mozilla-based browsers: this free, open source add-on allows JavaScript, Java and Flash and other plugins to be executed only by trusted web sites of your choice (e.g. your online bank), and provides the most powerful Anti-XSS protection available in a browser.

NoScript's unique whitelist based pre-emptive script blocking approach prevents exploitation of security vulnerabilities (known and even not known yet!) with no loss of functionality...

You can enable JavaScript, Java and plugin execution for sites you trust with a simple left-click on the NoScript status bar icon (look at the picture), or using the contextual menu, for easier operation in popup statusbar-less windows.
Let's just say all not sites I visit have equal levels of trustworthiness. More than 59 million users will disagree w/ you or at least a few millions albeit a fraction of that number is considered. ^_^
post #114 of 234
I have both chrome and firefox installed but I only tend to use firefox on my netbook. I like tabbed browsing, and firefox had it before IE. I feel it is more secure and customizable than other browsers. I also use a lot of keyboard shortcuts that can vary from browser to brwoser so I prefer to stick with one.
post #115 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Funk View Post
Internet Explorer, the latest version I guess. I have used Fire Fox but for me it doesn't matter. Internet Explorer works, it's functional. The homepage I use is google.

I love the emptyness of Google. Everything works and isn't clogged with advertisments and weird stuff like MSN. Google Chrome, well it may be great but Internet Explorer still works.
Internet Explorer does not functional correctly. Just run the Acid3 test, which tests a browser's ability to correctly render a webpage based on web standards. IE8 scores an abysmal 20/100, while Firefox scores a 93/100 and Chrome & Safari each score a 100/100, hell, even Safari on the iPhone scores 100/100! Internet Explorer does not function correctly and is the bane of all web developers, it's also the most insecure modern browser. Do us all a favor and ditch IE for a better browser.
post #116 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by hectuero View Post
Internet Explorer does not function correctly and is the bane of all web developers, it's also the most insecure modern browser. Do us all a favor and ditch IE for a better browser.
Aww, now you've gone and made my IE all self-conscious.
post #117 of 234
firefox b/c it's faster....
post #118 of 234
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joomongj View Post
So you had used it w/o knowing what it does hence asked me that question. Otherwise you're just trolling. If not, let me copy and paste in case you don't know. The answer to your question is in there.


Let's just say all not sites I visit have equal levels of trustworthiness. More than 59 million users will disagree w/ you or at least a few millions albeit a fraction of that number is considered. ^_^
Stop visiting Warez and p*rn sites then Seriously PC Security is WAY overhyped. I had this discussion in a thread either here or at WindowsBBS a while ago, regarding antivirus software. Running anyspyware, antivirus and this type of browser plugin(s) constantly is just silly. You don't have to worry about infections; just:
1) Be smart about it
2) Use a better browser
3) Use a NAT firewall / router
4) Have an AV installed and run it every once in a while.
*5) Keep builtin solutions running if desired (Windows Firewall for example)

#1 would include making sure all your stuff is up to specs -- Windows Updates set to run auto, newest FF/Chrome/whatever installed, not going to aforementioned blacklisted sites, using a mail provider such as Gmail that automatically blocks nasty email(s) from executing code... etc. I haven't had a legitimate virus situation on my home PC in years, NS isn't necessary
post #119 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post
Aww, now you've gone and made my IE all self-conscious.
Good, maybe it'll finally make some progress and get up to par with the rest of the crowd. Or just go hide in a corner where no one will use it, either is okay with me.
post #120 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sduibek View Post
Stop visiting Warez and p*rn sites then Seriously PC Security is WAY overhyped. I had this discussion in a thread either here or at WindowsBBS a while ago, regarding antivirus software. Running anyspyware, antivirus and this type of browser plugin(s) constantly is just silly. You don't have to worry about infections; just:
1) Be smart about it
2) Use a better browser
3) Use a NAT firewall / router
4) Have an AV installed and run it every once in a while.
*5) Keep builtin solutions running if desired (Windows Firewall for example)

#1 would include making sure all your stuff is up to specs -- Windows Updates set to run auto, newest FF/Chrome/whatever installed, not going to aforementioned blacklisted sites, using a mail provider such as Gmail that automatically blocks nasty email(s) from executing code... etc. I haven't had a legitimate virus situation on my home PC in years, NS isn't necessary
I prefer proactive measures to after-symptom treatments and as a consequence running NS has relieved me of running AV scans every now and then. Soz mate, b/c case A applies to person A' does not imply case A will apply to person A''(counterexample: read above).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › WINDOWS users-- which web browser do you use and why?