Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › iBasso fi.Quest Official Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iBasso fi.Quest Official Thread - Page 2

post #16 of 668
Panic over everyone..........

And it keeps getting better as mine has now left the hub & may well be delivered tomorrow but Thursday (Christmas Eve) latest. I'm afraid that the kids will just have to put their own batteries in their toys this year as I may be busy
post #17 of 668
I will resume my status as giddy as a schoolgirl
post #18 of 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by theory_87 View Post
ryuzoh, I believe it all miscommunication. Don't get it wrong. I don't have the intention to blame you or ibasso. You got pm
Replied
post #19 of 668
Ryuzoh or jon, of course I can trace it, but are you able to point out the star ground either for the whole amp or perhaps just the output section? I need a grounding point for my buffers and the burson discrete opamps even the opamp adapters i'm using have a grounding pad for bypassing the power pins. I was thinking of using the switch nearby the buffers as it would seem convenient and appropriate, but if there is somewhere more appropriate to the existing star ground point of the amp that would be cool. perhaps the charge socket? is there a schema available for owners? obviously the point the virtual ground is generated would be best
post #20 of 668
Okay, but unfortunately I didn't receive yet
After its arrival, will upload some guidances at once.
post #21 of 668
thanks mate, that would be great! really you dont have it?
post #22 of 668
Well DHL are dragging their feet with mine it has been at Heathrow for a whole day (from 6am) and not moved at all. Looks as though mine will be here after xmas now, I'm not happy.....
post #23 of 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudHarris View Post
Well DHL are dragging their feet with mine it has been at Heathrow for a whole day (from 6am) and not moved at all. Looks as though mine will be here after xmas now, I'm not happy.....
Well I hope they get it out to you. I have had great experience with them here in California.

It looks like mine should arrive today. I have been using the fi.Q but without a case. You guys are going to go nuts with all the great options and what headphones you use won't be limited.

In the past I have always preferred to bring all grounding back to the ground of the main power supply cap. I would terminate star grounding there. I have gone so far as to lift grounds on something I have not made bringing everything back to that point for conventional grounding.
post #24 of 668
Thanks Jon, I have my fingers crossed that something miraculous happens overnight.

I can't seem to find the detail on the OEM thread that tells what opamp limitations there are. I seem to remember that you can or can't use OPA637's with certain versions. I know there are equal (or even better in some opinion) opamps out there but it would be nice to be able to bring the 637's out of retirement maybe Ryuzoh could comment for me yet again (thanks Ryuzoh)
post #25 of 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
thanks mate, that would be great! really you dont have it?
No, here has no production models, and seems to be arriving in this morning.
Actually I can see 3 protos here but they are differing in several points from the finals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8 View Post
It looks like mine should arrive today.
Glad to hear that, and should be S/N 075.
The other one (S/N 003) will arrive here with mine, and immediately modded and shipped to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudHarris View Post
I can't seem to find the detail on the OEM thread that tells what opamp limitations there are. I seem to remember that you can or can't use OPA637's with certain versions. I know there are equal (or even better in some opinion) opamps out there but it would be nice to be able to bring the 637's out of retirement maybe Ryuzoh could comment for me yet again (thanks Ryuzoh)
No, you can use OPA637s on this amp What I told you before was for your P3+.
However some limitations are existing, easy to say..... DO NOT connect JP1 and JP2, and DO NOT use with low gain position.
When the jumpers were connected, 637s will supply huge DC to your treasures
And this circuit can make 637s without oscillation at Low gain, but I can't assure it as 100%
post #26 of 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8 View Post
Well I hope they get it out to you. I have had great experience with them here in California.

It looks like mine should arrive today. I have been using the fi.Q but without a case. You guys are going to go nuts with all the great options and what headphones you use won't be limited.

In the past I have always preferred to bring all grounding back to the ground of the main power supply cap. I would terminate star grounding there. I have gone so far as to lift grounds on something I have not made bringing everything back to that point for conventional grounding.
yeah this is the first time I will have needed one in a device that doesnt actually have a ground. I usually use the IEC or ground on one of the power supplies. the reason I ask is there may already be a star ground and I dont want to make another and risk loops.

on a sad note I dont think i'm going to get mine for Xmas either. mine left singapore yesterday some time, but has not hit OZ yet, still needs to be cleared. this would mean I wont get it until after the weekend
post #27 of 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
on a sad note I dont think i'm going to get mine for Xmas either. mine left singapore yesterday some time, but has not hit OZ yet, still needs to be cleared. this would mean I wont get it until after the weekend
Too bad....
Then you can research and plan of caps onto fi.Q and can see guidance here before its arrival
post #28 of 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuzoh View Post
Too bad....
Then you can research and plan of caps onto fi.Q and can see guidance here before its arrival
i'm maintaining a strict attitude of pessimism so I am pleasantly surprised if it does show up today . it may actually be here and tracking hasnt updated yet. if it left singapore yesterday chances are its arrived, but nothing shows yet. I might be lucky.

but yes I can use the time to prepare. I have built 4 buffers last night (2 different caps) and prepared the burson opamp (dual) for the amp so it fits. I split it in half and lay it flat, attached to a socket with cryoparts SCSCAg silver

thanks for the suggestion Jon, there are many points I could choose, but that is not what I should be doing. I assume there is already some sort of star grounding system and I should adhere to that or I risk issues
post #29 of 668
Mine has landed! Number 075.

The power supply, being different from what I was using for the other fi.Q's is very substantial! This has some iron in it. I couldn't believe the weight of the box. A true transformer, no switching here.

Out of the box, no warm up the sound is uhhh. This is true of my Woo or anything else that hasn't been on, not warmed up and caps not formed.

Got it charging and after 20 minutes I am already hearing a change. We all expect this but it is always interesting to me. And the external power supply, nice to feel something getting warm.

The case of the fi.Quest has a very nice finish. A flat black anodizing with a true quality feel to it. You can tell this is built for years of use. The volume control is smooth with just the right amount of friction as you turn it.

You guys are in for a real treat!
post #30 of 668
S/N100 here, came in a few minutes ago. I have it up and running with my Dell Mini9 and Pico Dac, totally off the grid using the available charge it came with. So far I am very satisfied with the sound I am hearing out of my UE9s. I am using the lowest gain and lowest bass setting. My volume setting is only about 9:30 on the lowest gain.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › iBasso fi.Quest Official Thread