Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › iBasso fi.Quest Official Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iBasso fi.Quest Official Thread - Page 8

post #106 of 668
oh I know these batteries arent supposed to have thus issue, that has nothing to do with it (although I did run it down a fair bit the first time to be safe, it still wasnt low or at least no indication it was), but this heat is odd, I have had class D power amps that dont get this hot. the charger pack gets really hot too, although this is not so unusual, just strange after that long charging. even this heat although unusual would be OK if at some stage it stopped, but after 12-13hrs it was still going and i'm not even using it, the amp is off. the charger is only specced for 220v (says on the sticker) and we run 240v here in OZ , but I dont think that would be enough for this
post #107 of 668
Mine gets hot also but the battery charge light did go out after about 6 hours.

If Ryuzoh would be so kind as to explain 1,2 and 3 switch on the rear It would be appreciated. The only one I'm sure of is number two which would seem to be 'off'. Number one and three seem to do the same job (listen and charge) allbeit with different voltage noted
post #108 of 668
Ever since I got the JH13's I have rarely used the Ultrasone Ed. 9's. Not that they weren't, aren't good but the 13's just excel. I am finding that with the fi.Q the 9's really shine and frankly, a whole new dimension opens with them. I am now using the Ed. 9 quite a bit again. They sound like an open phone but with the quality I have always liked about them. Interesting.

I just switched to the wide bandwidth for the buffers and notice an increase in dynamics. I am using a lower volume because the swing in both macro and micro detail and dynamics is more noticeable. This is with one buffer as I am going to keep this amp totally stock at this time.
post #109 of 668
Damn I stacked all mine so can't use wide bandwidth. have to order some more BUF634's.
post #110 of 668
I am not sure why unless the wattage of the 200 ohm resistor isn't great enough. I have used two buf634 stacked with no resistor (a trace vs using a resistor to bias them), and though they ran hot, and I wasn't sure how they would do thermally, they worked fine. This was in a Little Dot Micro Tube amp that I had.

I think the Ultrasone Ed. 9's do better with a SS amp vs a tube. Interesting as my JH13's sound excellent with the Woo 6 with my PDPS. I will have to give them more of a listen now with the fi.Q. I have the TWag cable for the 13's and it should be totally burned in now.

Edit: The 13's are sounding great with this configuration also. lol
post #111 of 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8 View Post

I think the Ultrasone Ed. 9's do better with a SS amp vs a tube.
I sure have been enjoying my E9s with it...It might just have as much synergy as my HA-02 and the HA-02 is great with the E9.
post #112 of 668

My Woo 6 (many modifications) has been compared to 2000 dollar amps and been right there in sound. Now I am comparing the fi.Q to my Woo 6. I need more time on the fi.Q but it is doing well.

Ok I am now using the HD650's, which are''t my favorite phones but the fi.Q is handling them well. Nice soundstage and the bass is very well controlled. Very nice mids and extended upper frequencies that are clean.


Edited by jamato8 - 10/19/10 at 3:02am
post #113 of 668
flipped the wide band switch on the BUF634 (u underneath and P up top) and I nolonger have to have the amp in high gain to enjoy the LME49720HA. now i'm undecided if I like OPA211 underneath and buf634 up top with OPA827 in amp or stacked buf634 in hiC with the national metal can. sooo many choices, but at this stage i'm not that keen on 4 channel still. I want to find out if this heat is normal before I mod the amp further, I wonder it the secondaries in the transformer are set up for 240v (in series) or not. from the glance I had I think they were. in other words I wonder if iBasso remembered this was going to OZ and wired it accordingly. if the PSU is still set for 120v this wou;ld explain the heat for both myself, theory87 and nigel as we are all in countries that run a higher voltage. easy for me to check, but I have some work to do first
post #114 of 668
Just confirm with some retail shops here in Singapore that some Japanese (ryuzoh) have purchase all the 16V Black gates, a few days ago.

Wow it does seem harder to get hold of Black Gates now.
Sorry to hijack this thread
post #115 of 668
sorry but I realy dont see what all the fuss is about. the only blackgates that are any good IMO are the N series and some F; standard series are bettered by many other MUCH cheaper caps. I prefer some other caps to N series as well. of course its all a matter of taste and BG have a reputation that precedes them.
post #116 of 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
flipped the wide band switch on the BUF634 (u underneath and P up top) and I nolonger have to have the amp in high gain to enjoy the LME49720HA. now i'm undecided if I like OPA211 underneath and buf634 up top with OPA827 in amp or stacked buf634 in hiC with the national metal can. sooo many choices, but at this stage i'm not that keen on 4 channel still. I want to find out if this heat is normal before I mod the amp further, I wonder it the secondaries in the transformer are set up for 240v (in series) or not. from the glance I had I think they were. in other words I wonder if iBasso remembered this was going to OZ and wired it accordingly. if the PSU is still set for 120v this wou;ld explain the heat for both myself, theory87 and nigel as we are all in countries that run a higher voltage. easy for me to check, but I have some work to do first
Hey Jeremy, glad to here you are enjoying it also....

Are you using the wideband switch with stacked buffers or singles? I haven't tried that switch at all yet but just found 2 x BUF634U's in one of my boxes and thought I'd put them on an adapter and try it today. I don't have any underneath yet.

My choice for Ground is the 47910HA also....
post #117 of 668
Overheating matter.

The charge doesn't end, and the charge stop voltage has gone mad to fi.Quest that overheats with orange LED lights.
(IBasso is a mistake of the adjustment. )

An original final voltage is 16.8V. The battery longevity is shortened because it is not correctly set.

Work before it adjusts it

DC unplugs at once.
The battery is driven and electricity is discharged for about one hour.
(SW1 is turned on, and current consumption is increased. )

After electricity is discharged, it is necessary to readjust.

Please confirm the both ends voltage of the battery decreased up to about 16V.

Adjusting method

  • Black Hot Bond is removed.
  • Pot for the adjustment is anti-clockwise rotated and it makes it to minimum value.
  • The DC plug is connected.
  • Pot is slowly rotated clockwise, and it is confirmed that charge LED lit.
  • The connector terminal both ends voltage when the battery is connected is adjusted to become 16.65V.
    (The standard is about 45 degrees from the center. )
  • It is confirmed that LED disappeared from a little waiting (The standard is 15 minutes).
  • The terminal at both ends is measured again and when it is OK by about 16.8V, it seals it with Hot Bond again.


Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
wow this amp gets HOT!! when charging. I just put it on 'charge and isolated' before going to bed and its now 10:30 am and it was still piping hot shouldnt this have become fully charged and cooled down/stopped charging by now? its been on charge for about 9hrs and the battery warning light wasnt on when I plugged it in last night. how long does it take to charge from empty Ryuzoh?
post #118 of 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudHarris View Post
Hey Jeremy, glad to here you are enjoying it also....

Are you using the wideband switch with stacked buffers or singles? I haven't tried that switch at all yet but just found 2 x BUF634U's in one of my boxes and thought I'd put them on an adapter and try it today. I don't have any underneath yet.

My choice for Ground is the 47910HA also....
i'm using the wideband (hiC) switch ON with stacked buffers, but they are not literally stacked so no overheating issues. i'm using BUF634P on top and BUF634U underneath.

hmmmm; I knew something was wrong and this heat was not normal.
post #119 of 668
Case of charge circuit adjustment.

When it overheats, please adjust.
When you cannot adjust, the time where charge ends, please discontinue battery charge.

Please wait official reply already a little.

I am the volunteer.
post #120 of 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.IIZUKA View Post
Case of charge circuit adjustment.

When it overheats, please adjust.
When you cannot adjust, the time where charge ends, please discontinue battery charge.

Please wait official reply already a little.

I am the volunteer.
hehe OK, please forward my PM onto Ryuzoh then or if you like I will

it would be helpful to others to know how long the battery charge would take under NORMAL circumstance
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › iBasso fi.Quest Official Thread