New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HD 595

post #1 of 66
Thread Starter 
So I started looking for a nicer set of head phones than my $20 Koss Titaniums.

I am a Musician and wanted to try something of better quality - but that would still work with my Aging PC that I use for recording and do most of my listening with. Guitar Center sells the HD 380 Pro's and I started to consider that set - but began reading reviews (most were positive) but many were negative so I continued my search - which led me here.

I began reading all of the great info here and the variety of opinions and continued looking for a decent yet affordable head set that would not require additional amplification - or at least not right away.

Tried to land a set of HD580's on eBay - missed on few Auctions - kept looking reading reviews. While I have read both good and bad reviews of the Senn HD 595's - they fit my price point and from what I gathered did not need amplification to use with my MP3 player or when connected to my PC - so I took the plunge figuring they have to be a step up from where I am at now.

I am using Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 PC's Speakers and that will also drive this head phone - not the best of fanciest - but work for me for now.

So I placed the order last night and they will be here Wednesday - Christmas Present to myself. Like many of the Music Forums I frequent this site had great info and I could clearly see myself being sucked into getting a better set with better amplification in the Future - also like my obsession with Music Gear I figure that my Wallet could be hurting by this time next year if I keep frequenting this site .

So HD 595's are my Virgin Purchase and my first foray into getting hopefully a better than average audio experience. Just wanted to share, says thanks for the great info here! I am anxiously anticipating the arrival and will be on Vacation beginning the end of the week so I will get to put some hours on them. I have read the stickies and the burn in info - learned a lot so far just lurking.

So this is my first post and the start of what I hope is a Happy Journey.

Happy Holdays!
post #2 of 66
The 595 were my gate way drug to better headphones.. I still like them..
post #3 of 66
the hd595 were my first cans too after reading the entire hd595 appreciation thread here. it blew away everything else i've ever heard. i've had the hd595 for a year and a half now and still enjoy their sound...

...but like everyone else on this forum, there's always that nagging thought in the back of my mind making me wonder just how good can this music sound anyway through a higher pair of cans. curse you head-fi!
post #4 of 66
Congratulations on the first of many pairs of headphones you will be buying. I feel really, really bad for your bank account.
post #5 of 66
The 595s are exceptional for the price and have the capacity to satisfy you indefinitely, but only if you stop reading these threads.
post #6 of 66
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the replies!

Found out this info about the Kilpsch Pro Media with regard to the headphone section of the Amplifier.

Are these numbers suitable for driving the 50Ohm 595's.

HEADPHONE SECTION:
200mW max into 300 ohms
450mW max into 50 ohms

Also what is the norm for 300Ohm - is 200MW Suitable if I went to a 300Ohm Set.


Thanks again!
post #7 of 66
Thread Starter 
Bumping this to see if anyone can answer the question I posed about the impedance and mw match up
post #8 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by pp312 View Post
The 595s are exceptional for the price and have the capacity to satisfy you indefinitely, but only if you stop reading these threads.
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boy, I couldn't agree with you more here.

To the OP,
Stop reading these threads NOW and you'll enjoy those 595's for a long time to come. Otherwise, you'll know what Eve felt like just before she went ahead and picked that apple.

Get out while you can!!

My first head-fi worthy can was also the HD595's. I remember the days I mezzed over their sound. Distant memory now, but only 18 months ago.
post #9 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smack View Post
Thanks for the replies!

Found out this info about the Kilpsch Pro Media with regard to the headphone section of the Amplifier.

Are these numbers suitable for driving the 50Ohm 595's.

HEADPHONE SECTION:
200mW max into 300 ohms
450mW max into 50 ohms

Also what is the norm for 300Ohm - is 200MW Suitable if I went to a 300Ohm Set.


Thanks again!
Those numbers don't mean much if they don't specify the distortion levels along with the power ratings. Anyway, 595s are pretty easy to drive so they shouldn't be a problem. You'll probably want to move to a dedicated headphone amp if you decide to get some 580s, 600s, or 650s, though.
post #10 of 66
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rederanged View Post
Those numbers don't mean much if they don't specify the distortion levels along with the power ratings. Anyway, 595s are pretty easy to drive so they shouldn't be a problem. You'll probably want to move to a dedicated headphone amp if you decide to get some 580s, 600s, or 650s, though.
Cool thanks - so let the research begin for a good entry level headphone amp - any price performance leaders? I know posts like this can get many different responses. But typically there is consensus on best bang for the buck for a head phone Amp. Thanks for the info!
post #11 of 66
In the solid state category, I can vouch for the little amps produced by Audiophile Products. The Cute Beyond comes to mind. However, you'd need a dac and that you could get from them as well.
post #12 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyglass View Post
the hd595 were my first cans too after reading the entire hd595 appreciation thread here. it blew away everything else i've ever heard. i've had the hd595 for a year and a half now and still enjoy their sound...

...but like everyone else on this forum, there's always that nagging thought in the back of my mind making me wonder just how good can this music sound anyway through a higher pair of cans. curse you head-fi!
I agree. I liked them so much, I bought the 650 2 days later, to get even a better sound.. The rest, as they say, is history.
post #13 of 66
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimlink View Post
In the solid state category, I can vouch for the little amps produced by Audiophile Products. The Cute Beyond comes to mind. However, you'd need a dac and that you could get from them as well.
Thanks I will check them out - looks like no getting out with an inexpensive amp?
post #14 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smack View Post
Thanks I will check them out - looks like no getting out with an inexpensive amp?
You'll enjoy your cans better with an amp. If you're looking for a portable amp, I recommend one of HeadRoom's portables, like the Total Airhead.
post #15 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimlink View Post
You'll enjoy your cans better with an amp. If you're looking for a portable amp, I recommend one of HeadRoom's portables, like the Total Airhead.
If price is a problem, is it even worth it to buy one of FiiO's amps for the 595? Or would that barely do anything and instead should I save up for a better amp?
Thanks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)