Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › JHAudio IEM's - Jerry's Brief Descriptions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

JHAudio IEM's - Jerry's Brief Descriptions

post #1 of 30
Thread Starter 
Jerry Harvey and I traded a couple of emails last week regarding his product line. I am in the market, and asked for descriptions of his product line, save for the JH7, which I've read is the touring musician's tool of choice. Jerry graciously gave me permission to post his reply: Here it is:

Hi aamefford,

Answers below to your questions.

Best regards,

Jerry

Beginning of my email to Jerry:

Jerry,

We corresponded a while back, I was thinking about the JH5. I'm
saving cash, and getting around to getting down to the City to see
Lisa Tannenbaum, as you recommended. I am interested in knowing a bit
more about your different iem's, and except for the mega head-fi
thread on the JH13's, there is not a lot out there yet. I decided to
come straight to the source: I am considering these models:

Q) JH13 - I pile of cash to me, but doable, and I have yet to read a
negative review. How do you describe it, and what is it's target
audience or market?

A) The latest technology. The 13 is the most detailed accurate earpiece I have designed to date. The other single arm earpieces are older technology and you can really hear the difference between the single and dual arm
earpieces.

Designed for anyone who is a critical listener and wants the most out of the
IEM technology. Audiophiles and Professional performers.

Q) JH11 - intriguing, and well priced - seems you have priced it to
compete with the Westone ES3X? How do you describe it, and what is
it's target audience or market?

A) Tight bottom end and overall good sounding earpiece.

Pros and listeners who want a punchy but clean bottom end. As good as the
old technology can be because of the dual low end arm.

Q) JH10X3 - ? How do you describe it, and what is it's target audience
or market?

A) Same as the 11 but with less tight bottom because of a single arm for the
lows vs the dual for the 11.

This earpiece would be a apples for apples comparison to the Westone ES3X.
Pros and listeners who want a 3 way earpiece tuning but are cost sensitive.

Q) JH10 - ? How do you describe it, and what is it's target audience or
market?

A) Very flat response. Audiophiles only

Q) JH5 - you described this one to me earlier. Sort of a SE530 with more
detailed treble. Correct?

A) Overall the 5 will be a more refined earpiece that the SE530. Price
sensitive customers who want a custom and a more accurate and robust sound than the other custom earpieces in the price range.

The information clarified his lineup for me. I hope it helps others here as well.
post #2 of 30
Very helpful - thanks for posting this.
post #3 of 30
Good job! That certainly helped. They should post this in their website.
post #4 of 30
Interesting descriptions from the man himself. Thanks for posting these up
post #5 of 30
Nice info for sharing. Very informative and straight from the legend himself!

P.S: brief*
post #6 of 30
I didn't know JH10 has a very flat response. I find JH10 demo very enjoyable out of my touch 1G, prefer it than JH10X3.
post #7 of 30
thank for posting this thread
post #8 of 30
what about the 7?
post #9 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2410 View Post
what about the 7?
OP said he didn't ask about the 7's which I found odd because I found the demo unit to be fantastic and very good if it were used for personal listening.
post #10 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyGCSE View Post
OP said he didn't ask about the 7's which I found odd because I found the demo unit to be fantastic and very good if it were used for personal listening.
lol i know, was more of why not ask about the 7 if you were asking about all the others
post #11 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2410 View Post
lol i know, was more of why not ask about the 7 if you were asking about all the others
oh yea I see what you mean now. I was wondering the same thing
post #12 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2410 View Post
lol i know, was more of why not ask about the 7 if you were asking about all the others
Good question! I guess the JH7 really wasn't on my radar as one I wanted to purchase. I want a set of customs, but I'm struggling with the cost. The JH5 sounds like one of the better options at the $500 range (once you get done with impressions, art, shipping). The JH7 is $300 more, and the JH10Pro and JH10X3 are $400 more. The 7 just seems too close to the 5 for the extra $300, and the 10's seem to be too much of an improvement for $100 over the 7. Same with the JH11 for $150 more.

for me it will be the JH5 because it seems to be the standout at it's price point, or I'll justify my way up the ladder until I can justify no further!

My real curiousity was between the 10pro, 10x3 and 11, as they are clustered in price, and $300+ less than the JH13, but are 2 armature, 3 armature and 4 armature respectively. With only a $50 spread, I was real curious as to the different focus of each, and what they might give up to the JH13.

The thought to post here was sort of an afterthought, after I received Jerry's reply, and it seemed really a concise description of his line. I guess I shoulda asked about the 7 as well.

What I get from all of this, is that the JH5's will replace my SE530's, and be a big improvement. The JH13 is for those who want the best, The JH11 sounds really intriguing to me, as it just might offer what I'm looking for, though I'm a bit concerned that "punchy" might lead to fatiguing. The JH10x3 also sounds like it would work for me. The JH10pro does not sound like a fit for me. I like a bit of color to my sound. And of course the JH13 - I guess I can't go wrong, I just struggle with over $1200 all in for iems or headphones, or speakers, or much of anything else frivolous...
post #13 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughnut View Post
Nice info for sharing. Very informative and straight from the legend himself!

P.S: brief*
Doh!
post #14 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamefford View Post
Good question! I guess the JH7 really wasn't on my radar as one I wanted to purchase. I want a set of customs, but I'm struggling with the cost. The JH5 sounds like one of the better options at the $500 range (once you get done with impressions, art, shipping). The JH7 is $300 more, and the JH10Pro and JH10X3 are $400 more. The 7 just seems too close to the 5 for the extra $300, and the 10's seem to be too much of an improvement for $100 over the 7. Same with the JH11 for $150 more.

for me it will be the JH5 because it seems to be the standout at it's price point, or I'll justify my way up the ladder until I can justify no further!

My real curiousity was between the 10pro, 10x3 and 11, as they are clustered in price, and $300+ less than the JH13, but are 2 armature, 3 armature and 4 armature respectively. With only a $50 spread, I was real curious as to the different focus of each, and what they might give up to the JH13.

The thought to post here was sort of an afterthought, after I received Jerry's reply, and it seemed really a concise description of his line. I guess I shoulda asked about the 7 as well.

What I get from all of this, is that the JH5's will replace my SE530's, and be a big improvement. The JH13 is for those who want the best, The JH11 sounds really intriguing to me, as it just might offer what I'm looking for, though I'm a bit concerned that "punchy" might lead to fatiguing. The JH10x3 also sounds like it would work for me. The JH10pro does not sound like a fit for me. I like a bit of color to my sound. And of course the JH13 - I guess I can't go wrong, I just struggle with over $1200 all in for iems or headphones, or speakers, or much of anything else frivolous...
my thoughts on the entire JH lineup based on universal demo units:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/j...ml#post6245531
post #15 of 30
Thread Starter 
I just sent another email to Jerry letting him know there was curiosity on th JH7 over here, and would he mind answering the same questions for the JH7 as well. I'll edit the OP if and when I get a reply.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › JHAudio IEM's - Jerry's Brief Descriptions