or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Avatar The Movie - Page 7

post #91 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by craiglester View Post
Erik, I was thinking Imax 3d till I read this.. and recalled that the 3d was far better when I sawa movie in Read D (Coraline) than the Imax 3D (Polar Express) I last saw.. The Real D gave less ghosting and greater depth (and more comfy glasses).. plus as avatar was shot digitally.. they just blew up the frames for Imax.. no better picture, just bigger.

Anyhoo.. take a read.

is avatar fully made for IMAX? - IGN Boards
This was an extremely interesting and informative thread. Thank you very much for the link.

I thought I was going to go see it on IMAX but now I'm leaning towards a Real D theater.
post #92 of 270
I'm a big fan of sci-fi for the stories. I'm going to have to pass on this one having read/watched/suffered through this type of storyline way too many times. Predator, Alien, Terminator, 1st Matrix, those were some clever plots and that is why they stand up over time. I'd expect Cameron to come up with something a little more involving based on what I'm reading.
post #93 of 270
saw it last night. first half better than the second and some of the fight scenes could have been edited down, but still really solid.
post #94 of 270
Just came back from the 3D version. Incredible, the presentation was totally immersive. Plot was a little predictable, but overall a DAMN GOOD show.
post #95 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberburger101 View Post
Just came back from the 3D version. Incredible, the presentation was totally immersive. Plot was a little predictable, but overall a DAMN GOOD show.
I concur - or in net parlance, +1
post #96 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by craiglester View Post
I'm not sure what you all expected of Avatar, you have seen a James Cameron movie before? It's not going to be Citizen Kane, although that got a panning on release too.. and was a very technically advanced movie for it's time.
Maybe we're just offended that the studios will spend half a billion dollars on very pretty pablum but can't be convinced to put any science fiction in a science fiction film.

There's a difference between science fiction and space opera, or space western, or a film about big alien bugs.

I guess even when they try, they fail. IMHO the Solaris remake was embarrassing. Granted, it's hard to make a film of a book about unknowables and the impossibility of communication wherein the hero spends about a third of his time reading books in the library. And this is why we have a film with a character that didn't exist in the book who is apparently there strictly to explain things to the audience, culminating in that "And I'm Not OK With That!" line that left me recalling luke skywalker's "You're not my father!" - but the tarkovsky film was much better.

The last actual science fiction i saw get made into a good film was probably Donny Darko, but you find that one in the horror section at the rental place. For some reason.
post #97 of 270
If I had to classify the film I'd probably mark it down as sci-fi fantasy, rather than actual sci-fi.

I think actual science scares Hollywood, as to little of their target audience is scientifically inclined ( or educated?) these days. Seems all "sci-fi" these days ends up being a shoot out in the end. (e.g Transformers, District 9, Avatar etc..). I'd rather have some nice ambiguous endings, I like to think for myself.

That said.. I did enjoy rewatching Contact the other evening. Yes, I know, the books better.
post #98 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericj View Post
Maybe we're just offended that the studios will spend half a billion dollars on very pretty pablum but can't be convinced to put any science fiction in a science fiction film.

There's a difference between science fiction and space opera, or space western, or a film about big alien bugs.

I guess even when they try, they fail. IMHO the Solaris remake was embarrassing. Granted, it's hard to make a film of a book about unknowables and the impossibility of communication wherein the hero spends about a third of his time reading books in the library. And this is why we have a film with a character that didn't exist in the book who is apparently there strictly to explain things to the audience, culminating in that "And I'm Not OK With That!" line that left me recalling luke skywalker's "You're not my father!" - but the tarkovsky film was much better.

The last actual science fiction i saw get made into a good film was probably Donny Darko, but you find that one in the horror section at the rental place. For some reason.
and notice that any movie made from a Philip K. Dick story bears almost no resemblance to whatever Dick wrote. even Blade Runner, which was a fine sci-fi movie, doesn't really have all that much in common with Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
post #99 of 270
You should write Tarkovsky with a big T, cos he is not just better, he is Tarkovsky.
Avatar is the worse p...o I ever saw.
post #100 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmore View Post
Avatar is the worse p...o I ever saw.

Clearly, you've never seen a Uwe Boll movie
post #101 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicAjax View Post
and notice that any movie made from a Philip K. Dick story bears almost no resemblance to whatever Dick wrote. even Blade Runner, which was a fine sci-fi movie, doesn't really have all that much in common with Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
That one is a tough one. I mean, not everything is easily translated from book to screen. At the time, PKD said that the script writers had actually found better ways of resolving some problems than he had.

On the other hand, i think replicants are better developed in the book. In the book, they may not even know they're not human, and what's dangerous about them isn't strictly some form of malice, but their inability to grasp the concept of empathy and their tendency to make several snap decisions in the tinyest fraction of a second, often resulting in the death of anyone around them. It's not that they bear ill will toward you, it's that they don't understand why killing you would be wrong, and they can kill you sixteen times before you hit the floor.

In the book, the replicants just want to be free, and a group of them have programed themselves to believe themselves to be human. But that's not dynamic enough of a story for the big screen, so in the film they are fighting to have their lives extended.

And isidore makes a little more sense as a socially crippled savant than as an idiot truck driver.

In short, if you want to criticize PKD-based films, start with something like "Minority Report". Blade Runner was the least of their sins.
post #102 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericj View Post
Maybe we're just offended that the studios will spend half a billion dollars on very pretty pablum but can't be convinced to put any science fiction in a science fiction film. .
Avatar was an original screenplay.
post #103 of 270
just came home, seen it in 2D

just have a few words: DAMN it was STUNNING!
well I cant really describe it in words.. I forgot to chew on my popcorn and just watched with my mouth open and my eyes wide open


Really, it leaves other movies FAR behind, its easy the best movie I have éver seen!
Im going to see it again soon (next week or so) in 3D maybe for 3th time or 4th.. really.
I had VERY high expectations before seeing it.. but at the end I just had to wow-out for a while!
post #104 of 270
I just saw it in Real D. The visuals are stunning, amazing and engrossing. The story was formulaic at best, but the total product was a new paradigm in film making. As it is described in another thread: a geeks wet dream. There will probably be creature taxonomies online before summer...
post #105 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyboyo View Post
One more plus for me with regards to Avatar, Sigourney Weaver has still got it in spades. Where she's being plugged into the good old Tree of Souls, her human body still had all the right curves in all the right places. Good to see a film actress aging very nicely (digitally enhanced or not, Ripley still has a great bod).
Glad someone else noticed that, she’s still got it
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home