or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Avatar The Movie - Page 4

post #46 of 270
Saw it yesterday in 3D (not at iMax). Was quite jazzed by the experience until today when I started thinking about how empty and cliched the story was. But the visual experiences makes it worthwhile. What Cameron does is throw so MANY technologies at you - cleverly intwined - that it does seem like a whole new movie going experience - although none of them are actually new techologies. The computer animation+live action+3D all jumbled together make for a very trippy experience, which make it worth the price of admission.
post #47 of 270
The most common comment I hear is how the story is lacking.
post #48 of 270
I haven't seen it, and i won't pay money to watch a movie that centers around a rare mineral called "unobtanium".

They may as well have called it MacGuffin.
post #49 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicArmada View Post
The use of the Papyrus font ruins it.
OMG i totally noticed that. it was like they cribbed it from a cheap Egyptology website!
post #50 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadbang View Post
Saw it yesterday in 3D (not at iMax). Was quite jazzed by the experience until today when I started thinking about how empty and cliched the story was. But the visual experiences makes it worthwhile. What Cameron does is throw so MANY technologies at you - cleverly intwined - that it does seem like a whole new movie going experience - although none of them are actually new techologies. The computer animation+live action+3D all jumbled together make for a very trippy experience, which make it worth the price of admission.
and amusing that he used all of that technology to make a 2.5 hour screed... AGAINST TECHNOLOGY! :facepalm:


(actually, i know it's not technically anti-technology... but Cameron paints with a broad brush).
post #51 of 270
Yay blue people? Anyone?
post #52 of 270
I’ve seen it twice now... those people saying that the story lines a cliché I do not agree with at all. Taking subject matter taken into consideration what does one expect - Shakespeare? Get real...
post #53 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixdown110 View Post
The most common comment I hear is how the story is lacking.
Unfortunately, plot is no longer today's highest standard in cinema but instead, how pretty it looks and sounds in your home theater.
post #54 of 270
It's not like the only reason to go see Avatar is for the visual and audio side of things... The move itself is still very enjoyable.
post #55 of 270
I went and saw it today, wow. It was great. If you haven't seen it yet you should. I want to go back and watch it in 3-D sometime.
post #56 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
Unfortunately, plot is no longer today's highest standard in cinema but instead, how pretty it looks and sounds in your home theater.
And it's a downright shame. I find myself going to the movie theaters less and less frequently.
post #57 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericj View Post
I haven't seen it, and i won't pay money to watch a movie that centers around a rare mineral called "unobtanium".

They may as well have called it MacGuffin.
I agree that unobtainium is about as cheesy as it is valuable.

I saw the movie[for free] and thought the plot wasn't as bad as some make it out to be. Sure it was just 'the last samurai' in space, but...

And it seems I was the only one in the theater that found the commander's death face hilarious.
post #58 of 270
Before I saw Avatar, I thought the whole "3D" movie thing was just a headache inducing gimmick. This movie proved to me, that in the right hands, it is a very effective medium. The immersion within the environment is miles above anything I've experienced with normal video.I think the reason that the story has taken a back seat is just because the visuals just stole the entire movie. (Think Joker in TDK). I regret seeing it on a smaller screen theater now and find myself wishing I'd seen it on IMAX. Do yourself a favor and just see it on IMAX instead.


Possible Spoiler, so highlight as you please.
Firstly, this story has been done many times before so the plot is nothing too special. My biggest problem with the story was that the humans were presented as nothing but greedy one-dimensional beings with nothing but wealth on their minds. I felt that more could have been done about the story of the colonel instead of him just being a hardass the entire time. I also thought more could have been done to show why they needed the unobtanium so much, other than "its worth a lot of money". Maybe it could have been the cure for a plague that is wiping out human kind. Cameron never gave us a reason to side with the humans.
post #59 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxATOLxX View Post
Before I saw Avatar, I thought the whole "3D" movie thing was just a headache inducing gimmick. This movie proved to me, that in the right hands, it is a very effective medium. The immersion within the environment is miles above anything I've experienced with normal video.I think the reason that the story has taken a back seat is just because the visuals just stole the entire movie. (Think Joker in TDK). I regret seeing it on a smaller screen theater now and find myself wishing I'd seen it on IMAX. Do yourself a favor and just see it on IMAX instead.
Is Imax 3D really that much different to normal 3D?
post #60 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraseyboy View Post
Is Imax 3D really that much different to normal 3D?
Not really, it's just an IMAX screen is enormous compared to a regular movie theater screen. It's to a point where you can't really see the entire image at once.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home