- 777 Posts. Joined 12/2009
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- new Pioneer flagship? SE-MJ591 Last post on 12/21/12 at 7:34pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Pioneer TRE-D800 & SE-DIR800C Last post on 8/12/13 at 5:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Will the Pioneer Dir800c handle the Audio Technica ATH-AD900? Last post on 8/18/11 at 8:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser Customer Looking to Upgrade Last post on 8/18/11 at 10:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Got my Pioneer HDJ500K, impression of it Last post on 2/12/12 at 3:21am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/13/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Beyerdynamic DT 480 - 25 ohm(with some mods) This is a review of the Beyerdynamic DT 480, I believe the only other headphone that shares a driver with the DT 48, the original dynamic headphone....
A funny thing had happened the last time I visited Schiit Audio's offices and factory/warehouse. When we entered, what had previously been a storage or dumping room -- I don't remember, had become...
The product was provided to me free of charge for the review purpose in exchange for my honest opinion. The review was originally posted on my blog, and now I would like to share it with all my...
I was surprised to see only a single review for this player, so figured I'd throw my hat into the ring. I owned this player for about a year until it was stolen (along with an entire...
I have had the opportunity to review a few inexpensive MP3 players recently and have generally been quite impressed with many of them as they clearly appear to put sound quality before pretty much...
Pioneer SE-L40 Review [Update added 1/13/10] - Page 2post #16 of 243/13/10 at 11:27amGrados lows are pretty punchy I think these are Pioneers that Arthur Russell used
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #17 of 244/20/10 at 10:50ampost #18 of 2410/18/10 at 6:26am
Got mine today, paid $110 including shipping. They certainly got low sensitivity, at levels that would make my ears bleed otherwise, these headphones just start to sparkle. Be back later when fully tested.post #19 of 2411/4/10 at 11:55pmQuote:Originally Posted by bcjohnst
I also was lured by damn good looks and picked up a pair off ebay for $35. My initial impression was...yuck! The highs were rolled off, and the midrange was like the shag carpet this vintage feels at home curled up on. Then I removed the earpads (more like pillows) and the sound really opened up. They still sound velvety, but the highs now receive the most improved award. Ah...a DIY project--I bought some special foam that I'll use to make some custom pads...
Do you think you could give me afew tips on making my own earpads :S?post #20 of 2411/4/10 at 11:58pmpost #21 of 2411/4/10 at 11:58pmpost #22 of 248/19/12 at 12:50pmpost #23 of 2411/10/13 at 4:02pm
Thanks for the thorough review. I just acquired by brother's SE-L40's (bought about '74) to go along with my SE-700's (bought in '77). For headphones almost 40 years old, they sound great. Clarity and instrument separation are impressive but overall improved sound quality comes (w/ both these headphones) with replacement ear pads that do not muffle the speakers. The other thing is to drive them properly. The need some juice….especially my SE-700's. The SE-L40's do very well driven from the headphone out on the Adcom GTP-400 preamp. After my JB-21 box burned up, I drive the SE-700's from the Schiit Magni. I have the complete SE-L40 manual in pdf if anyone wants it…just PM me and I'll get it to you. Here's some pics of both headphones.
- Pioneer SE-L40 Review [Update added 1/13/10]
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Headphone Impedance
- › Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions 41 seconds ago
- › REVIEW: Comparison of 5 High End Digital Music Servers - Aurender... 1 minute ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers... 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Official ♦♦ Chord Hugo2 Canada/U.S.A. Tour ♦♦ Thread 1 minute ago
- › Official 2016 SF Head-Fi Meet Impressions Thread - July 16, 2016 2 minutes ago
- › KOSS ESP-950 Thread 2 minutes ago
- › High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and... 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Echobox Finder X1 review/impressions/discussion thread 4 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT 480 by kman1211
- › Schiit Audio Yggdrasil by Currawong
- › oBravo ERIB-1C 2way planar magnetic hybrid by twister6
- › Astell & Kern AK Jr. Hi-Res Music Player 64GB by SkumBucket
- › BENJIE K9 8G APE/FLAC/WAV High Sound Quality Entry-level Lossless... by Peddler
- › Darkvoice 336SE by SOULSIK
- › Fiio F1 Dynamic In-ear Monitors by B9Scrambler
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by OSiRiSsk
- › Brainwavz Jive by ezekiel77
- › Accutone Pisces Digital In-Ear Headset - Retail Packaging -... by Cinder
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear