- 777 Posts. Joined 12/2009
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- new Pioneer flagship? SE-MJ591 Last post on 12/21/12 at 7:34pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Pioneer TRE-D800 & SE-DIR800C Last post on 8/12/13 at 5:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Will the Pioneer Dir800c handle the Audio Technica ATH-AD900? Last post on 8/18/11 at 8:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser Customer Looking to Upgrade Last post on 8/18/11 at 10:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Got my Pioneer HDJ500K, impression of it Last post on 2/12/12 at 3:21am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/5/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Even at their current $89 price, I consider the Klipsch R6s an excellent value. They are fundamentally honest about what you put into them. Although they reveal a great deal about each recording,...
With my head laid back, eyes closed, and feet tapping to the beat, I can’t help but be thankful for some of the audio equipment that I have. Thankfully, Justin Weber, owner of Ampsandsound,...
Acknowledgment It’s always a privilege to check out new gear in exchange for your honest opinion. Thanks, iFi, for letting me in on this particular party. I’ve been borrowing this unit...
Introduction I have recently had the good fortune to review 1More’s excellent Triple Driver 1001 In Ear Monitors and their MK802 Bluetooth full-sized headphone and was left extremely impressed...
As the rabbit hole of summit-fi in-ear monitors gets deeper and deeper, I find myself encountering the same issues over and over. Most of the high end multiple armature driver in-ear monitors in...
Pioneer SE-L40 Review [Update added 1/13/10] - Page 2post #16 of 243/13/10 at 11:27amGrados lows are pretty punchy I think these are Pioneers that Arthur Russell used
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #17 of 244/20/10 at 10:50ampost #18 of 2410/18/10 at 6:26am
Got mine today, paid $110 including shipping. They certainly got low sensitivity, at levels that would make my ears bleed otherwise, these headphones just start to sparkle. Be back later when fully tested.post #19 of 2411/4/10 at 11:55pmQuote:Originally Posted by bcjohnst
I also was lured by damn good looks and picked up a pair off ebay for $35. My initial impression was...yuck! The highs were rolled off, and the midrange was like the shag carpet this vintage feels at home curled up on. Then I removed the earpads (more like pillows) and the sound really opened up. They still sound velvety, but the highs now receive the most improved award. Ah...a DIY project--I bought some special foam that I'll use to make some custom pads...
Do you think you could give me afew tips on making my own earpads :S?post #20 of 2411/4/10 at 11:58pmpost #21 of 2411/4/10 at 11:58pmpost #22 of 248/19/12 at 12:50pmpost #23 of 2411/10/13 at 4:02pm
Thanks for the thorough review. I just acquired by brother's SE-L40's (bought about '74) to go along with my SE-700's (bought in '77). For headphones almost 40 years old, they sound great. Clarity and instrument separation are impressive but overall improved sound quality comes (w/ both these headphones) with replacement ear pads that do not muffle the speakers. The other thing is to drive them properly. The need some juice….especially my SE-700's. The SE-L40's do very well driven from the headphone out on the Adcom GTP-400 preamp. After my JB-21 box burned up, I drive the SE-700's from the Schiit Magni. I have the complete SE-L40 manual in pdf if anyone wants it…just PM me and I'll get it to you. Here's some pics of both headphones.
- Pioneer SE-L40 Review [Update added 1/13/10]
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Headphone Impedance
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★FAQ in 3rd post!★☆ 6 seconds ago
- › LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread 38 seconds ago
- › Linear Power supply on Mac Mini 39 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 51 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones) 1 minute ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 2 minutes ago
- › Reply to get FiiO's New In-Ear Monitors F1 for Free 2 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 2 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 3 minutes ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 4 minutes ago
- › Klipsch R6m Black In Ear Headphone by 1mctous
- › ampsandsound Kenzie Headphone Amplifier by Smazz
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD Black Label by glassmonkey
- › 1MORE iBFree Bluetooth In-Ear Headphones by Peddler
- › iFi Audio iEMatch Headphone Travel Accessory by Hisoundfi
- › Soundaware Esther by ambchang
- › ZMF Headphones Eikon by Hisoundfi
- › HiFiMAN Edition S by Aornic
- › Accutone Taurus by mark2410
- › Remax RM 305M Aluminum Earbud by Redcarmoose
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear