Related Forum Threads
- Looking for some new headphones under 80$. Any ideas? Last post on 9/3/10 at 5:13pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Recommend a Vet a new set of IEMS - Ive got some concerns Last post on 8/24/10 at 2:38am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Another IEM Advice Thread Last post on 7/23/10 at 4:13am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEM for clarity and BASS Last post on 11/19/12 at 7:56am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Looking for high quality in ears. Need help! Last post on 11/18/12 at 5:41pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
Last edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Before I begin with my review of the Beyerdynamic XP1, all of the below are solely what I’ve managed to get out of the IEM, I suggest to try it out or read some other people’s review to get a...
See The Whole Review With Pictures Here: http://db-headphones.blogspot.com ... Oh and ignore the sliders for the audio quality, value etc. I can't edit the slider scoring on mobile. Disclaimer: I...
Disclaimer First of all, huge thanks to Audrey and the Brainwavz team for giving me the opportunity to write this review. Please note that I was not paid to write this review, nor am I...
First, the normal boilerplate stuff - Audio setup - FLAC files in MEdia Monkey -> Amazon Basics TOSLINK cable -> Schiit Bifrost w/Uber upgrade -> Knukoncept Shielded RCAS -> Project Ember...
Here are my impressions of the Fiio X1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEj0wLE-ojU
- Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones
[REVIEW] Hippo Shroom and VB - Page 2
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
So I got them today...
Ehm... Wow. This is not for me!
There's absolutely no seperation between mids and bass. Voices are horrible with this thing. Corinne Bailey Rae sounds like she has more testosterone than I do. Bass is way too strong. But even with the three dots the bass reaches into the mids. Everything between 90 Hz and 70 kHz is a mess to my ears!
Where are the details? I seriously think the Bose On-Ear has better resolution, more details and a much better separated bass. Seriously. These things don't sound any better than that Sennheiser CX-500 I gave away for free, only that it costs twice as much!
But that's not all...
Do any of you also have comfort issues? The removable bass platter touches my ear. It's scratchy as hell. When I smile it really hurts!
Wearing them upside down seems to help, though. Can't explain why, though.
Build quality is very bad also. The dirt filter is glued on crookedly. The 3,5mm jack has a loose connection with my 3GS (not with my PC, though) which I have never experienced before - must be the iPhone but other headphones don't seem to have any problems with it. I can't manage a secure fit with any of the silicone tips (maybe this is linked to my comfort issue stated above). The cable is highly microphonic.
Sound: 2/5 (+1 considering I paid 'only' 55€. Tried with iPhone 3GS and PC/foobar2000.)
Comfort: 1/5 (this has to be a joke! If I don't take them out soon my ear will bleed because of a flesh wound. Or I could just turn them around. But I'd like to have a choice.)
Build quality: 3/5 (Despite my rant I must agree I've seen worse but it's not what I'd expect for a retail price at around 80$.)
Please, please tell me I still have some serious burning in to do and that there's a fix to the weird comfort.
Else I know for sure that this was my very last IEM purchase. I did have some issues with my ear drum so don't let this 'impression' hold you off. I'd value any comment higher than my own. But to me this is not a serious option to enjoy music.
One good thing, though: it makes me appreciate my Ultrasone 780s even more! If only they were smaller and portable...
Did you let it burn in? I am considering getting these also but your reviews sort of made me think twice about these.
Is the bass really lacking on the shroom, would something like the e5 help them?
Forget burn in. Just listening to them for a few days lets your brain adjust to a new sound sig. But for ultrazino I think it would be best to simply sell them. A new sound signature can grow on you, but uncomfortable IEMs stay uncomfortable.
umm... that's a bit weird, but yeah, each people has different ears shape, for me, VB is comfortable enough, and I've never got issue like what you've got
Please forget everything I said!
Yes, I do have a comfort issue, but I seem to be the only one.
About the sound: my iPhone 3GS is broken (click for thread link)! I have em kinda burned in now and connected to the PC. With the three doted bass platter the sound is actually very good. At first the mids sounded very funny to me. It might have been burn-in or me getting used to them, but they have cleared up a lot now.
I put them in my shelve and kept them there for the last days. I might give them a try again because I keep hearing good things about them. I have a new iPhone now, btw.
Does anybody know which comfortable tips fit on them? Favorable by Comply.
If you're talking about the VBs, try the meelelec tips. They fit onto the nozzles of the VB (though I had to use tweezers) and are much more comfortable than the stock tips, which I also didn't like. You get s,m,l, double and triple flanges. Hopefully something will fit better. Also, keep in mind that most people have different sized ear canals, so don't be surprised if you have different sized tips on each earpiece. For example, with the VB I use the small tip for my left ear, and the double flange on my right.
Okay, I must apologize! There was a problem with my Hippos and that's why I didn't like them. The filters were very loose and one of them even fell down sideways. As a result, Bass was not only way too strong but also affected the overall sound.
I have fixed that now and I must say I'm very impressed. These are great companions for travels by bus or train.
I also replaced the tips with self-made Complys! :)
I decided to keep 'em. Thanks for your help, guys!
Thanks for the lead on Uncle Wilson....combination of pay pal and fedex have now brought a pair of Shrooms half way round the world to me in London. I'm going to warm them up for a couple of days with some Primal Scream before I listen to them.....After that I'll send you my review.
- [REVIEW] Hippo Shroom and VB
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Band Name Game II 34 seconds ago
- › Audio conversion of FLAC & ALAC files 1 minute ago
- › FiiO X1, the new start of the high-res DAP with individual DAC and... 2 minutes ago
- › Corliss Institute Group Review: Et Bolig Program For Dem, Der... 2 minutes ago
- › Grado RS1i and RS1e side by side - Pictures! 3 minutes ago
- › Arizona Head-Fi Meet: October 25th, 2014 3 minutes ago
- › Westone UM PRO Series Thread 5 minutes ago
- › FS: GEM Sterling Earphones 5 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 5 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 5 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic XP1 by SawItComing
- › Audio-Technica ATH-WS77 SOLID BASS Portable Headphones (Japan Import) by DisCHORDDubstep
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by thatBeatsguy
- › Fostex TH 900 by smitty1110
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by aquamacs
- › Audio Technica ATH-IM02 balanced amature inner earphone by thatonenoob
- › DUNU DN-2000 Hybrid 3 way earphone by thatonenoob
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by H20Fidelity
- › Beyerdynamic Tesla T1 by smitty1110
- › Shure SE215 by SawItComing
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)